What's new

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) (2 Viewers)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Well, Part 3 (There and Back Again) has been moved to December 17th, 2014. http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/175283-the-hobbit-there-and-back-again-moves-to-december-2014

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think that's a better decision. I never understood why they wanted to rush out the third film. These films seem better suited to a holiday release, than summer IMO. Release windows of less than a year between sequels generally always result in perceived box office disappointment for the third film (see Back to the Future III, The Matrix Revolutions, and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, all of which were considered to have under-performed compared to the prior release).

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Malcolm R
I think that's a better decision. I never understood why they wanted to rush out the third film. These films seem better suited to a holiday release, than summer IMO.
Release windows of less than a year between sequels generally always result in perceived box office disappointment for the third film (see Back to the Future III, The Matrix Revolutions, and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, all of which were considered to have under-performed compared to the prior release).
Not that it matters THAT much, but all of those examples under performed because the anticipated 2nd film before it was underwhelming due to the much earlier first film. In other words, I think the quality drop for part 2's are more to blame for box office downturns for those than the 6 month between release window.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Possible, though one would think word of mouth would have dampened the grosses of the 2nd films. The Matrix Reloaded made about $278M and POTC: Dead Man's Chest $425M domestic. Those seem like pretty high totals if the audience was disappointed in the quality of those films.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Malcolm R
Possible, though one would think word of mouth would have dampened the grosses of the 2nd films. The Matrix Reloaded made about $278M and POTC: Dead Man's Chest $425M domestic. Those seem like pretty high totals if the audience was disappointed in the quality of those films.
Those numbers are a reflection of people's enjoyment of the previous film. That's the reality with box office so front-loaded in today's market.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I don't totally buy that, Brandon. Though I acknowledge your point. For example, The Dark Knight is both the highest grossing and most popular of the Nolan Batman films. Rises didn't gross more than TDK due to TDK's popularity. And there is absolutely a burnout factor. BTTF3 is a grand film, but came out quickly after 2, and the public was a bit burnt out. I do agree that the perceived quality of a previous film is an input. I just don't agree that it is the single largest driver of success. As always, the film itself is.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Chuck Mayer said:
I don't totally buy that, Brandon. Though I acknowledge your point. For example, The Dark Knight is both the highest grossing and most popular of the Nolan Batman films. Rises didn't gross more than TDK due to TDK's popularity.
But it did gross a lot more than it deserved because of TDK. I agree with the others but add one caveat, the second movie of a series grosses depend a lot more on the first movie than the quality of the second movie assuming it is at least on the order of the first one, even if a fair bit worse by most people's standards, especially if the first movie wasn't as popular in the theater as it deserved. Austin Powers : IMOM, Batman Begins, and Pirates of the Caribbean come to mind.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
A new poster
image.jpg
The trailer should be out on Tuesday

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Chiming in after 80 pages of conversation and just having watched
the new trailer....

First, let me stress that I am a huge fan of The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I read all the books as a teen, and felt Peter Jackson did a superb job
translating them to film.

That being said, I really disliked The Hobbit....

...and I was reminded as to how much dislike I had for it when I finally
sat and watched the 3D Blu-ray this past weekend.

There are two major problems with the film as far as I am concerned.

The first problem is that it's more of the same of what we have seen
already. Best way to describe the experience is...been there, done that.

The second problem is the greed involved in expanding this book out to
three films. It was unnecessary to do. As a result, The Hobbit took too
much time to tell its story. In fact, I found it a complete bore to sit through.

I am hoping that the next two installments that follow will be better paced.
Hard to imagine having to sit and watch an extended version of what has
already been released --- and this is coming from someone that prefers the
longer editions of The Lord of The Rings.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Chiming in after 80 pages of conversation and just having watched
the new trailer....

First, let me stress that I am a huge fan of The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I read all the books as a teen, and felt Peter Jackson did a superb job
translating them to film.

That being said, I really disliked The Hobbit....

...and I was reminded as to how much dislike I had for it when I finally
sat and watched the 3D Blu-ray this past weekend.

There are two major problems with the film as far as I am concerned.

The first problem is that it's more of the same of what we have seen
already. Best way to describe the experience is...been there, done that.

The second problem is the greed involved in expanding this book out to
three films. It was unnecessary to do. As a result, The Hobbit took too
much time to tell its story. In fact, I found it a complete bore to sit through.

I am hoping that the next two installments that follow will be better paced.
Hard to imagine having to sit and watch an extended version of what has
already been released --- and this is coming from someone that prefers the
longer editions of The Lord of The Rings.
Bringing The Hobbit to the big screen, I don't know how they avoid the first problem for the most part.

However, the second problem I do agree with you that it probably was best to show this in just two films, but I'll resist final judgment until I see all three films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks