1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

The History and Milestones of UltraViolet

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Joshua Clinard, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Well-Known Member

Joshua Clinard
    If anyone is in doubt about the progress that UV has made in a very short time, or is just curious, take a look at this timeline of events.

July 20: DECE reveals "UltraViolet" system

Jan 5: Five Major Studio's + Lionsgate, announce support for UltraViolet (Minus Disney)

Jan 6: DECE completes design of UltraViolet system

Oct 11: Warner Bros. releases first UV title "Horrible Bosses" available to stream on Flixster

Oct 14: Warner Bros. releases second UV title "The Green Lantern" available to stream on Flixster

Dec 2: Sony releases it's first two UV titles, "The Smurfs" and "Friends with Benefits"

(Throughout the initial roll-out of UltraViolet, the press and consumers reacted very negatively towards the format)

Jan 10: At CES, Amazon became the first retailer to announce support for UltraViolet. DEG reported that 750k accounts were created in the first 3 months.

March 13: Walmart joined DECE and detailed a new in Store Disc to Digital Service

April 16: Dreamworks Animation joined Vudu's Disc to Digital Service. Walmart added UV enabled titles to vudu and launched it's Disc to Digital service, with 3,500 titles initially

May 2: UltraViolet grew to 2 Million accounts

July 30: Vudu began to offer redemption of UV titles directly each movie page

Aug 18: LionsGate released it's first UV title "The Hunger Games"

Sept 10: Dolby announced it's Dolby Digital Plus tech would be included in the Common File Format

Sept 11: M-Go announced a new video service that would offer UV titles

Sept 18: Fox released it's first UV title Prometheus, in it's new HD Digital Format, 3 weeks ahead of Home Video street date, and also added UV rights to 600 catalog titles

Sept 30: UltraViolet surpassed 5 million accounts and 7,200 titles

Oct 25: Redbox and Verizon stated that their new Redbox Instant platform would be UV ready

Sept 26: Barnes & Noble revealed that it's new video store for the Nook would be UltraViolet Ready, and would be available in the fall

Nov 24: CinemaNow added UV status to titles from several studios.

Dec 20: Best Buy launched it's Home Disc to Digital service beta

Dec 31: Disney shut down it's Disney Movies Online service. Industry insiders suggested that keychest had been abandoned

Janu 5: M-Go UV platform opened for buisiness

Jan 7:

At CES, Wal-Mart announced it would bring it's Disc to Digital Service to the home, and a new vudu app for IOS would be released

At CES, DEG announced 9 million UV accounts had created, and 8500 titles with UV

Jan 11: Cineplex launched a new UV streaming service in Canada

April 19: Streaming Media Reported that 12 million UV accounts had been created, and that 9,100 titles were available

April 25: Best Buy revealed that the UltraViolet based CinemaNow platform was available in Canada

May 6: Fox discontinued disc-based digital copy, and began to offer UV based HD Digital copy for all new releases

June 4: Wal-Mart launched In Home Disc to Digital as a public beta.

June 11: Walt Disney abandoned iTunes only digital copy, with the release of OZ: The Great and Powerful, it's first Digital Copy Plus title, that offers a choice between iTunes, Amazon, or vudu.

August 6: Walt Disney released two titles, The Sword in the Stone, and Robin Hood, that removed the choice of iTunes. These titles offer a choice between Amazon and vudu.

August 7: DEG announced that 10,000 titles are available

Sept. 2: Target revealed that new it's UltraViolet service, Target Ticket, will launch on Oct. 1

Sept. 3: CinemaNow bowed it's Disc to Digital service in Canada

Sept. 12: Warner CEO announced that 15 million accounts have been created.

What I hope to see in the near future:

MGM, or other mini-major studio begins to release UV catalog titles.

Common File Format begins roll-out

Ahead of the Holiday shopping season, blinkbox, or Lovefilm launches UV capable service in the UK

At CES: Amazon.com announces UV implementation plan. DEG announces 20 million accounts created

Disney joins DECE and begins to enable UV titles

2. Patrick Donahue

Patrick Donahue Well-Known Member

Patrick Donahue
    I would add to the wish list Apple enabling UV on iTunes movies. I prefer to purchase from them and use Apple TV, but will not until it joins what is obviously the standard going forward.

3. Towergrove

Towergrove Well-Known Member

Missed one....Sonys new 4k video download service is supposed to be UV enabled too.

4. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    Since I can't edit this post, I should also add:

May 2: Kaleidescape opened UV-based video download store.

5. Towergrove

Towergrove Well-Known Member

6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Why can't you edit your posts? Regular users are free to edit their own content here...

7. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

I think after the switch over, posts can't be edited after 2 days.

8. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I don't think I have any special privileges and I can edit my posts from years gone by.

9. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

Looking at my recent posts, I can edit going back 48 hours and that's it. You're special and you didn't know it. :)

10. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Huh, who knew? That sucks.I will endeavor to not abuse my privileges!

11. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    For those of you concerned about not being able to watch HD video on tablets, flixster has now enabled HD streaming/downloads for iPads and iPhones. I hope vudu follows suit!