What's new

"The Haunting" DTS ES (WOW!) (Merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
I can't remember what chapter it is(eleven, I think), but it's called Creeking Pipes. Right after she says "Coming, mother" it begins. I've yet to hear deeper bass than the initial blast in that sequence. You can litterally feel the waves passing through you. I remember one time when I was demoing that scene for someone, when the bass hit my cat shot out of the room. It was hilarious. :D

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I have heard of NO DVD yet that even comes close to the amount of bass that this DVD has throughout the entire movie. I too own this DVD, and actually enjoy watching the movie. It's an "ok" movie and is certainly not as bad as the people here are making it out to be.

I totally agree with what Andy said. You can literally feel the bass waves passing through the room. Even the opening credits have extremely deep/extremely loud bass.

David Judah

Screenwriter
If you have DTS demo disc #4 then you have the best of both worlds. You have a clip for demo that showcases the prodigious bass that is contained in the movie without having to purchase the whole thing.

DJ

Christopher Cheadle

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question for you all. I just bought my first DTS ES Discrete receiver (Denon 1803) and was wondering about the DTS track on the Haunting. I know that it is supposed to be discrete, but when I play it with the rear surround engaged, my receiver reads it as ES Matrix. The other odd thing about that is that all of the rest of my ES Discrete DVDs decode properly.

Been a while since this was out, but was there any word of the digital "flag" for the ES track being mislabeled? I did a search and didn't find anything.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This title is supposed to have both dts-ES matrix and dts-ES discrete capabilities. I will try to check it tonight to see if it flags correctly.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately...the Denon 1803 cannot be 'forced' to play the discrete track, and for some reason, does not pick up the flag for this movie.

I had the 1803 and recently moved up to the 2803. Love Denon, but the inability to force it play in the discrete mode is annoying.

Craig LeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
I'll definitely agree that the movie was very subpar... the video was clean...but like everyone else has said, the DTS track packs a very large punch. So far it is the only movie that has bottomed out my 142litre EBS shiva sub...

Christopher Cheadle

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info fellas. No biggie on the sound thing as the Haunting DTS will probably be the least watched of my ES-Discrete titles. However, it is definitely annoying that the 1803 can't be forced in to discrete mode.

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
No it doesn't...
My bad. Thanks for the correction.
However, there are many sites, like this one, that list it as having an audio commentary. I think I read a site like this about a year ago and that audio commentary thing has just stuck in my head. If I'd have researched the "dolby digital" version better, using more technical sites, I could have given a more correct answer. Sorry for the false information. Thanks again Colin.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
However, there are many sites, like this one, that list it as having an audio commentary. I think I read a site like this about a year ago and that audio commentary thing has just stuck in my head. If I'd have researched the "dolby digital" version better, using more technical sites, I could have given a more correct answer. Sorry for the false information. Thanks again Colin.
No problem! Rotten Tomatoes and many other sites just cut and pasted the original specs, and almost four years after the DVD's release, many of them STILL have the wrong specs. For example, DVD Planet continues to list the non-existent commentary and deleted scenes. Lame!

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
It is interesting reading old reviews considering the quality of dvd's has increased from then till now and you notice the bar being raised. But in essence, you are correct.

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
I'm a little late to the party but I finally have a real sub (Paradigm Servo-15) and damn this movie has deep bass!

I don't run it hot and EQ'ed it fairly flat (+/- 3db) and still rattles my bookcase.

I think when I get a bigger dedicated HT I'm gonna buy

another one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks