What's new

"The Hanging Tree" when? (1 Viewer)

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
Warner Bros. is listed as the studio. I would have thought this would be out by now. Has anyone heard anything?

Charles H

Screenwriter
I seem to recall that it was mentioned in the WB chat as being part of the Gary Cooper collection?

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Jim, are you related to a certain person heavily involved in the "Hanging Tree" soundtrack?!

Also, does anyone know what made the early-'90s VHS issue of this movie so fantastically rare? Was it withdrawn because of music-rights issues? The movie also hasn't turned up on TV in years, as far as I know.

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
No Dan, just one who remembers how good this film was. I remember George C. Scott remarking after they find Maria Schell, "I hear she's a foreign woman. Is she loose virtued?" Great musical score.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
This thread caused me to dig out my copy of the film and watch it with my dad last night. The Max Steiner score is outstanding, as is the Mack David/Jerry Livingston title song. One nice touch comes at the end, as the guitar in the title song is heard faintly in the background for several seconds before the final chorus kicks in. Great final shots too.

Scott, as an alcohol-fueled preacher, makes a strong impression in his first credited film role. When confronted by him, Coop grabs the bottle from him and tells everyone, "Here's his bible!"

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I haven't seen this movie in ages, what a great one it is. I still remember Brandon de Wile telling the gossip monger something to the effect of "you're lower than a snakes belly!" That got to me when I saw this movie as a kid.

I still remember the final scene as Coop bends down to Maria. Great flick. Great title song.

Corey

Screenwriter

WB said in the HTF chat that it would be released this year in the Gary Cooper Collection, along with Sergeant York.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm resurrecting this thread to find out why this movie is not available on DVD, let alone blu. Who the heck owns this and is keeping the world from a great movie.

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

I'm resurrecting this thread to find out why this movie is not available on DVD, let alone blu. Who the heck owns this and is keeping the world from a great movie.
My recollection is that the reason given was that Waners only owns a part interest in the film and Cooper's estate owns a part interest. It is claimed that the film needs extensive restoration work. One might surmize that Warners might feel it would be a poor financial decision to incur the cost of an expensive restoration when it will only get back a fractional return on their investment, since it has to share with the Cooper estate. I

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It might turn up quietly as a title in the ARCHIVE series. Hell, I didn't know GREEN MANSIONS was out until I saw that ClassicFlix had a rental copy of it.

Lutz Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lutz
I just wanted to add that THE HANGING TREE was released by WB in Germany as a R2 edition in 2006. I'm not sure if it was released in any other R2 countries. Anyway, the bad news is that it is not anamorphically enhanced, but it's better than nothing. Of course, if there should ever be an enhanced edition, I'll buy it again. It's one of my favorite movies with one of my favorite scores. If only Film Score Monthly could produce a soundtrack CD...

www.amazon.de/gp/product/images/B000JVT0HO/sr=1-1/qid=1246889562/ref=dp_image_0

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Originally Posted by Lutz Koch ">[/url]

I just wanted to add that THE HANGING TREE was released by WB in Germany as a R2 edition in 2006. I'm not sure if it was released in any other R2 countries. Anyway, the bad news is that it is not anamorphically enhanced, but it's better than nothing. Of course, if there should ever be an enhanced edition, I'll buy it again. It's one of my favorite movies with one of my favorite scores. If only Film Score Monthly could produce a soundtrack CD...
[url=http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff100/Livius_photos/Hanging%20Tree/PDVD_000-76.jpg][img]http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff100/Livius_photos/Hanging%20Tree/PDVD_000-76.jpg">[/url]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks