What's new

The greatest car to appear on the big-screen....article on BBC (1 Viewer)

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
My picks in no particular order:

James Bond - Astin Martin DB5
Back to the Future - DeLorean
Bullitt - Mustang
Smokey and the Bandit - 77 Pontiac Trans AM (My fave)
Cannonball Run - Lamborghini Countach

must be more, but that's all I could think of right now.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
The Batmobile? Feh...

I'd take every single car mentioned in the above posts over that overblown monster anyday. Not every customized movie car makes sense, I suppose.

And I'd ad:

- Mark Hamill's customized Corvette in CORVETTE SUMMER.
- Toby Halicki's '81 Cadillac Eldorado in THE JUNKMAN (what an endurance test!).
- Roy Scheider's plucky little Chevy Nova in THE SEVEN-UPS, as well as the villains' beautiful black Dodge Charger that loses five hubcaps during the duration of the big chase!
- The Bluesmobile. 'Nuff said.
- The Rolls Royce Silver Phantom (which was gold) in Ron Howard's GRAND THEFT AUTO.

So many cars. So little time.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
come on.. no one mentioned the greatest custom car?

The Ghostbusters' special... (and where did they get that siren?!)

Actually, my true preference would be for the modified Delorian, but the Ghostbusters car is pretty... interesting?

Leo Kerr
[email protected]

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I too would pick Bond's Aston Martin, though I would choose the 1966 (give or take a year) Batmobile second (it did make it to the big screen).

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Dammit all, that's the one I was trying to remember when I listed some favourites in an earlier post. Knew it was a Hemicuda, even knew the driver had a ponytail, but damned if I could remember the movie. You've saved me a lot of searching tonight, Philip!

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
What car's teetered on the side of a bridge, been sucked into a time-vortex, converted into a Death-Coaster, and can claim the Coen brothers, Tobey Maguire, Cliff Robertson, Cate Blanchett and Bruce Campbell as it's passengers? That's right, Sam Raimi's 1973 Oldsmobile Delta 88, also known as the Classic!

It kicks the Batmobile's ass and makes the Aston Martin look like a little bitch.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Let's face it, in today's world, pollsters can use polls to any end they choose, particlularly theatre lobby polls like the one in that BBC article that places the Batmobile at number one. There's no science to it; just the potential for a little media play to stir up the usual rounds of debate and listmaking and to give media outlets extra "lifestyles" padding between all the good and bad news. I've been quite amused how often people cite thoroughly unscientific and obviously slanted polls to back up their points of view, particularly over in THE PASSION thread, but elsewhere as well. Polls are the spindoctor's ultimate weapon, and the media their willing vessels. Looks like the BBC took the bait, harmless though it is.

That said, I'll still trust HTFers opinions any day on subjects like this, since by the time a thread like this has run its course, one has the only list one needs.

A few more:
The automotive cast of Cannonball Run: Jamie Farr's Rolls Royce, Jackie Chan's rocket-powered Subaru, Burt & Dom's Chevy Ambulance with standard Jack Elam, Dean & Sammy's holy Ferrari, Seymour Goldfarb's Aston Martin DB-5, Rick & Alfie's hotel trashin' Chevy pickup, Mel & Terry's Hawaiian Tropic stock racer.

And then of course, the much classier automotive cast of THE GUMBALL RALLY: Nicholas Pryor and Michael Sarrazin in that killer Shelby Cobra 427, Tim McIntyre, Raul Julia and the Gumbo Gun in their V12 Ferrari 275 GTB (I think), Harvey Jason as Lapchick the Crazy Hungarian on his Kawasaki, Gary Busey and John Durren in their muscled-up Camaro Z-28, Lazaro Perez and Tricia O'Neill in his boss' doomed Rolls Royce, Susan Flannery and Joanne Nail in the Porsche 911 and J. Pat O'Malley and Vaughn Taylor in their classy Mercedes. What I wouldn't give to see this on DVD!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks