What's new

The Great Race Blu-ray via WAC - 9/9 (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I feel kind of left out since I could never get into this one despite loving all three of the stars.

Nice to see it getting the treatment it deserves though.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I'm extremely happy. This has been on my want list for a long time. I am convinced that Warner's does listen to the members of this forum. Thank you WAC.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Slightly OT - I think Natalie Wood was at her absolute loveliest in this film. Her Edith Head costumes are a-ma-zing.

Attachments

• tumblr_mvewibSmHw1qdfdhao1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mvewibSmHw1qdfdhao1_1280.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 29

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
LeoA said:
I feel kind of left out since I could never get into this one despite loving all three of the stars.

Nice to see it getting the treatment it deserves though.
I never did, either, even with a close friend who LOVED it. As with It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, I plan on getting and revisiting this title to see if my opinion has changed over the three decades since I watched it. I did enjoy IAMMMMW much more, so maybe the same will happen here.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
This is one of those that could definitely use the blu-ray boost. The DVD was kinda sub-par in overall detail.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Years after first seeing THE GREAT RACE in Cinerama I found out that I'd been misled in assuming it was a genuine 70mm film and not a blow-up from 35mm. Nevertheless the picture quality was so good that it totally fooled me (as it did later with DOCTOR ZHIVAGO). Thoroughly enjoyed the film although, like MAD WORLD, I think this type of epic broad comedy works best with a theatre audience.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Years after first seeing THE GREAT RACE in Cinerama I found out that I'd been misled in assuming it was a genuine 70mm film and not a blow-up from 35mm. Nevertheless the picture quality was so good that it totally fooled me (as it did later with DOCTOR ZHIVAGO). Thoroughly enjoyed the film although, like MAD WORLD, I think this type of epic broad comedy works best with a theatre audience.
When I saw a 70mm print in 2010 in Bradford on the Cinerama screen it looked as good as a 65mm production, oneof the best blow ups I have seen.Also they had to frame the picture up to get the subtitles in when the song comes on because of the cropping of the picture in Cinerama.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I suppose you'd bracket The Great Race with the other two epic comedies of the time, Mad World & Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines. I like Mad World (great Blu-ray), not so keen on Magnificent Men these days (didn't buy the TT release), but The Great Race has always been my favourite, it's the only one out of the three that still makes me laugh out loud these days. I went & saw it three times when it was released (the only film to beat that was Jason & The Argonauts). Warner never released the DVD in the UK, I imported it from Germany, & will import this from America (& it will probably work out cheaper than the DVD was).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My brother and I used to have fights over which was the funnier film: Mad World or Great Race. The Great Race was and always has been my favorite.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Great news as this is one of my favorite films. I agree that Natalie Wood is at the peak of her beauty in this film. I also think this is one of Jack Lemon's finest performances and his most criminally underrated one with not one but two different great roles. This movie has a great supporting cast too. Should be a great blu. I like IAMMMW but Love The Great Race.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I think, on this forum, in anther thread about The Great Race, there was a discussion about an audio error during the credits on the DVD: booing (when there should be cheering, and/or vice versa.

Is the expectation that the error will be fixed on the Blu-Ray?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I think, on this forum, in anther thread about The Great Race, there was a discussion about an audio error during the credits on the DVD: booing (when there should be cheering, and/or vice versa. Is the expectation that the error will be fixed on the Blu-Ray?
Yeah, when Tony Curtis comes up on the credits there's cheers & with Jack Lemmon it was boo's. It was correct on my German DVD, but I understand it was switched on the American DVD, but I think Warner had corrected it, so on the latter DVDs it was right.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Dave B Ferris said:
I think, on this forum, in anther thread about The Great Race, there was a discussion about an audio error during the credits on the DVD: booing (when there should be cheering, and/or vice versa.

Is the expectation that the error will be fixed on the Blu-Ray?
*-Well, it was fixed in subsequent DVD copies, so I am sure it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks