What's new

3D Blu-ray Review The Great Gatsby (2013): THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What can I say? I love 3D! From the moment I began watching 3D content in my home I quickly discovered that I needed more content. I suspect that those of you just purchasing your first 3D hardware will acquire the same ferocious appetite. That's why I became the HTF 3D ADDICT. I personally love images that pop off the screen and come inches away from your face without becoming overly gimmicky. However, I certainly appreciate the nature documentaries that offer beautiful depth and separation. These are not necessarily reviews of the film themselves. I am not going to concentrate on story or supplements -- you can find the 2D reviews elsewhere on this forum. My job is to let you know exactly what kind of 3D experience to expect from the titles that are being released. As I will be receiving a handful of new product from the studios expect to see more title coverage.

The Great Gatsby

Studio: Warner Bros.
Product Release: August 27, 2013
Ratio: 2.4:1
Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1; Dolby Digital French & Spanish 5.1
Running Time: 142 minutes
Rating: PG-13

On A Scale 0-5

Overall 3D Presentation Rating: 3
3D Separation: 3
3D In Yo' Face Factor: 0

Not ever having read the 1925 novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald, nor having
seen any of the previous film adaptations, I went into this viewing of The
Great Gatsby with an open mind and somewhat high expectations knowing
that it came from director Baz Luhrmann, the man responsible for one of
my favorite films, Moulin Rouge.

Speaking of Moulin Rouge, if you loved that film, most likely you are going
to adore The Great Gatsby, which has most all the same elements intact here
outside of the musical numbers. It's a lavish production -- at times a theme park
ride -- complete with exhausting quick edits, spinning camera motions and
over-the-top party scenes populated by seemingly thousands of drunken guests.

Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) is an aspiring writer and Bonds salesman
who lives out in the country near his cousin Daisy (Carey Mulligan) and her
rather volatile husband, Tom Buchanon (Joel Edgerton). An invitation to a
party introduces Carraway to Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio), a millionaire who
pulls him into a world of bountiful luxury in hopes of a return favor that will
reunite the socialite with a lost love.

With so much emphasis placed on the film's visuals it becomes apparent
that if taken away, there isn't much of a story left to keep one engaged.
Furthermore, the audience never really has the opportunity to bond with
the characters to to really care what happens to them.

...but who cares?! The film's exaggerated visuals depicting "The Roaring
20s," amplified in glorious 3D, kept this viewer in a constant, hypnotic trance.
There is so much appreciation to be had for the complex world that Visual Effects
Supervisor Chris Godfrey has created for this film. There's a tantalizing
sequence where Gatsby takes Carraway for a ride in a brilliant yellow 1929
Duesenberg. The camera follows overhead as the car races through countryside
roads into the Manhattan Skyline. The depth that 3D provides makes it look
like something out of a pop-up book, so beautiful and tantalizing to watch that
it nearly takes your breath away. Luhrmann prefers to keep all the cool 3D
elements within the screen (rather than outside of it), with plenty of neat effect
touches that include floating champagne bubbles and thrown confetti. One of
the most interesting 3D effects was Gatsby shaking his cane. That was perhaps
the one prop that came closest to protruding itself outward. The transfer is
immaculate as expected, with popping, vibrant colors and nice inky black levels.
None of the brilliant imagery was lost with active shutter eyewear. Crosstalk was
slightly evident in some scenes near the beginning of the film, but it wasn't
frequent enough for it to be an issue.

The film's DTS-HD 5.1 soundtrack doesn't disappoint with its robust presentation
and underlying LFE that emphasizes the beat of the film's various hip-hop tracks
(yes you read that correctly) as well as selections from other popular contemporary
artists. The rears give support for the jazzy film score as well as providing ambience
for the party sequences and weather elements.

The Great Gatsby arrives as a 3-Disc (Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray, DVD/Ultraviolet)
package with a lenticular sleeve. There are a wealth of extras that include
deleted scenes, trailers, and features on the sounds and fashion of the 20s
era.

CONCLUSION

The first question you must ask yourself is if you need to see The Great
Gatsby. For fans of Baz Luhrmann and his stylish Moulin Rouge, this becomes
an easy film to admire. Anyone looking outside of the visuals for a entertaining
story are going to somewhat disappointed.

If one is considering a 2D or 3D purchase of the Blu-ray, it is definitely worth
considering the latter. The layers of depth that the 3D process provides really
augments the tantalizing visuals created for this film. I could not imagine enjoying
The Great Gatsby as much without that added depth this presentation provides.

Images are for illustrative purpose only not representative of the picture quality of this disc.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I just watched this and thought the 3D was good. Technically it's a terrific film. As for the film itself, I kinda liked it and thought the performances were great...except for Cary Mulligan as Daisy. And since the film relies so much on her character, her weak performance nearly sinks the film. Was Daisy this unlikeable in the book? A better actress would have elevated the film. And Ms Mulligan is usually excellent but here......not so much. I'd give the film ** 1/2 stars out of four*

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Amazon has reduced the price of this 3D release to just under $20

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ron, your review would have me interested except for "complete with exhausting quick edits, spinning camera motions". This makes me think it's a lot like the first Bourne movie. I nearly need a barf bag because of the cuts and shaky cam.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
This wouldn't be shaky cam, but like fast moves on a dolly or crane, much different.and the shaky stuff was bad on Bourne 2 and 3 with Greengrass in charge, the first Bourne was sedate in comparison

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Let's put it this way....

If you hated the camera work in Moulin Rouge, it's the same thing here.

However, if you admire that kind of style (as I do) then you will thoroughly
enjoy THE GREAT GATSBY.

To sum it up, I wasn't interested in the story. I was drawn in by the 3D visuals.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought the camerawork was a bit more restrained than it was in Moulin Rouge ( which I loved).

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Thanks for the heads up on the Amazon price. Evidently I have an ad blocker, anyone know how to turn it off?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If you didn't add a piece of software to your PC, then it's a setting
or plug-in on your browser. What browser are you using?

It may also be blocked at the router.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ronald Epstein said:
If you didn't add a piece of software to your PC, then it's a settingor plug-in on your browser. What browser are you using?It may also be blocked at the router.
Thanks I have someone coming to look at it. I know that I did not add any software. I try to always order trough the site and end up going back to home page and getting to Amazon that way.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Allen,

What browser are you using? Perhaps I can help on this end.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
As someone who read the book about 22(?) years ago, but still has a relatively clear memory of it, I thought Mulligan's portrayal of Daisy was spot-on, as was Joel Edgerton as Tom. Tobey Maguire made a more appealing cipher of a character than Kristen Stewart in the Twilight films (which isn't saying much), and apart from the ridiculous number of times he says "ol' sport", I bought DiCaprio as Jay Gatsby. The 3D is definitely of the atmospheric depth variety.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ronald Epstein said:
Allen,What browser are you using? Perhaps I can help on this end.
Thanks Ron. My buddy got it straightened out. It was in the settings. Just finished ordering THE FLY through the link.Does not matter how many digital projectors and LMS systems I work with, there is always something on the home setup that bugs me.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Has anyone had issues playing the 2D version of this title? I have tried two copies from Amazon on my Panasonic BDT-210 player, and both discs just spin and never bring anything up on the screen. My firmware is up-to-date, and I have no issues playing any other BD disc.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
3D In Yo' Face Factor: 0

Maybe you need large image to see the "in Yo' Face" scenes coming out of the screen. From my Panasonic AE8000 projector with a 130 inch wide image, I saw a number of scenes where objects came out of the screen including some of the actors. HBO On Demand just added this title yesterday.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Ron, your review would have me interested except for "complete with exhausting quick edits, spinning camera motions". This makes me think it's a lot like the first Bourne movie. I nearly need a barf bag because of the cuts and shaky cam.

And this quick cutting, especially in 3D (whether post-converted or not) does not give your brain a chance to keep up...I mean, the reason film works as a medium at all is because it's based upon "persistence of vision," which permits one's mind to fill in for the black spaces between projected frames and to rather magically connect the dots, giving a series of still images the illusion of motion. Now, the folks who developed motion pictures determined that the minimum speed required to smooth out the illusion for us was 24 frames per second (16 and 18 were used earlier for silent films, but the images could be a little bumpy).

A single second of screen time requires 24 exposures. Some of these f**king directors and their oh-so-clever editors have decided that, well, we're all so visually sophisticated these days and have such short attention spans, why not detonate the screen with thousands of cuts that are 8-12 frames per second (or even less). The human brain does not have time to catch up to these edits. Shots become quasi-subliminal. Add 3D and you have compounded the problem, as 3D requires an extra few milliseconds for the brain to put it all into proper alignment and perspective for you to enjoy. For any shot in a movie to register sensibly, your brain needs a minimum amount of time to process what it is being sent, even more so for 3D. When you add 3D to a Buzz Luhrmann film, you are sentencing most people to a barrage of confusing images which cannot be properly deciphered. Bad choice for arguably an already crumby movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks