What's new

Directors The Great Films HTF Scorecard Vote (1 Viewer)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Batch #4

The Wicker Man - 9
Tootsie - 6
Three Colors: Blue - 8
Swingers - 8
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - 9
Monsters, Inc. - 6
Edward Scissorhands - 5
Dead Poets Society - 6
Brazil - 9
Vertigo - 4

I am grading my lists as standalone films, not in comparison to what I would consider the greatest films ever made. (If that makes sense).
It does, however Jim_K disallowed half points, so I need to distinguish between some films by being overly harsh on scoring.
0 absolutely irredeemable (not awarded yet; wait till TTMR ;) )
[1-3] awful->mediocre
[4-9] good->superb
10 flawless (not awarded yet; reserved for the best of the best)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well since greatness is not something objective, but rather a subjective interaction between viewer and film, 0 for me simply means a film I completely despise and hate. A 10 means one of the best one or two hundred films ever made, and 1-9 are various levels in between.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

The way I see a 10 point grade is that it's the same as a five-star rating system.

10 = :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Masterpiece, Perfect

9 = :star: :star: :star: :star: 1/2
An almost Masterpiece, Film has a minor flaw or I've seen the film only once & I'm reserving a final judgment

8 = :star: :star: :star: :star:
Excellent film - Highly recommended

7 = :star: :star: :star: 1/2
Very Good - A cut above the rest

6 = :star: :star: :star:
Good/Above average - worth viewing

5 = :star: :star: 1/2
Average - Middle of the road time waster

4 = :star: :star:
Mediocre - below average

3 = :star: 1/2
Poor but has a few redeeming qualities. Not recommended.

2 = :star:
Bad - MST3K territory, Good for some unintentional laughs only

1 = 1/2
Awful - The only saving grace would be a quality T&A shot

0 = Zero
One of the worst films of all-time. absolutely no redeeming qualities & not even fun to watch for a laugh.

Based on the way that I perceive the system I really don't think any of the films I'm going to list deserve anything below a 3, even the ones I passionately dislike.

But that's just me so everyones mileage will vary.

Arman

Screenwriter
"How is everyone rating films? I know Arman explained his criteria but to give films like 25 Hour a Zero, to me this means the film is beyond god-awful and possibly in the worst ever film category."

For the record and before somebody confuse me with the person who gave 25th Hour a 0, I gave 25th Hour a score of 7 (it was very close in getting an 8). Outside of this process, I would have no probelm giving it an 8 since that I graded it with an A-/A early this year.

As Jim_K noted earlier, some posters/"scorers" here are just way too brutal, If I'm not mistaken (am shocked and stunned to see) Vertigo or Psycho (are they sure they are giving score to Hitchcock's masterwork and not the recent crappy version?) getting terribly low scores (as low as 0 or 2) and at the same time seeing Dead Poets Society (though I hate it, I gave it a decent 4) getting almost perfect score. To each his own. I respect everyone's take on this but I just can't take it :D. Probably, I'll just avoid looking how everyone handing their scores everytime a masterwork is up for scorecard vote.

I have to see Edward Scissorhands again because I remember disliking it the 2 times I saw it many years ago. I'm disappointed with Clerks (which I just saw last night).

Again, my scoring system here is only good in this process, remember, we are trying to give scores and probably rank the greatest among the greatest films of all-time (I saw a few films that I cannot even consider good enough, oh well, another case of to each his own :)).

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
The Wicker Man - 7
Tootsie - 8
Three Colors: Blue - 8
Swingers - Abstain (haven't seen)
A Shot in the Dark - 8
The Quiet American - 6
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - 7
Monsters, Inc. - 7
Mississippi Burning - 5
Lone Star - 8
Freaks - 9
Edward Scissorhands - 7
Dead Poets Society - 5
Brazil - 9
The Big Heat - 9
Best in Show - 6
The Blue Angel - 9
25th Hour - 7
Midnight Run - 8
Vertigo - 10

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Since I read that newcomers can join in the fun, I’ll give this a go. I’m using Jim’s guidelines for my ratings.

Batch # 1

A Beautiful Mind 6
O Brother, Where Art Thou? 7
Bride of Frankenstein 9
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs 10
Deliverance 7
JFK 4
The Birds 7
From Here to Eternity 5
Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8
A Man for All Seasons 8

Batch #2

Red River 8
Clerks 5
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring 9
Stand by Me 7
MASH 7
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial 7
The Godfather8
The Terminator 6

Batch #3

Blazing Saddles 7
The 400 Blows 9
An American in Paris 6
McCabe & Mrs. Miller 9
Sophie's Choice 7
Ocean's Eleven (2001) 5
Dances with Wolves 4
Adaptation 7
Psycho 8
The Right Stuff 9

Batch #4

Tootsie 7
Three Colors: Blue 8
A Shot in the Dark 6
The Quiet American 9
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9
Mississippi Burning 6
Freaks 8
Edward Scissorhands 7
Brazil 9
The Blue Angel 8
Vertigo 10

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Tootsie: 6
Swingers: 6
The Quiet American: 7
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: 9
Monsters, Inc.: 7
Edward Scissorhands: 8
Dead Poets Society: 7
Brazil: 8
Best in Show: 7
25th Hour: 6
Vertigo: 8

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'm uncertain what can be taken from this poll when films like Red River and 25th Hour are given scores of 0. To each their own, as always.

Batch #4

The Wicker Man - 7
Tootsie - 6
Three Colors: Blue - 9
Swingers - 6
A Shot in the Dark - 7
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - 8
Monsters, Inc. - 6
Mississippi Burning - 7
Lone Star - 9
Edward Scissorhands - 7
Dead Poets Society - 5
Brazil - 7
The Big Heat - 9
Best in Show - 7
25th Hour - 9
Midnight Run - 7
Vertigo - 10

I'm in agreement with Jim's grading guidelines, and there will likely be only a few films that I will rate below a 5 in this poll.

- Walter.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well Walter, as you say, to each their own. I am completely baffled how a film like Best in Show can rate higher than Monsters, Inc. :)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Since you asked. While I enjoyed the characterizations and the animation, the overall tone of Monsters, Inc. felt as though it catered more to children than adults. To be fair, this expectation was at least partly due to previous Pixar films that I felt worked better on dual levels, and were more satisfying to my adult sensibilities. At least I didn't give it a 0. :)

- Walter.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I'm in agreement with Jim's grading guidelines, and there will likely be only a few films that I will rate below a 5 in this poll.
Nice to hear, I was starting to feel a little generous after seeing some of the scores. I think so far i've only rated 1 or 2 films below 5. I'll just follow Jim's score line (which was similar to how I score anyway), since it is his thread it makes it a little easier to see what he is after in terms of results.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
What Walter and Nick wrote. I went back and checked—three ‘5’ and two ‘4’ ratings so far. If I had been asked ahead of time, I would have predicted that I was a more severe grader than most.

Just goes to show that it is hard to know yourself. Given the caliber of films being considered, I will be surprised to be giving out ratings below a ‘4’—even for films that I don’t like. For example ‘Dances with Wolves’ is a film that I have never liked—but certainly its considerable technical merits allow (require?) me to give it at least a 4.

Just my view.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
BATCH #1

A Beautiful Mind- 8
O Brother, Where Art Thou?- 9
Bride of Frankenstein- abstain
The Man Who Would Be King- abstain
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs- 9
Deliverance- abstain
JFK- abstain
The Birds- abstain
From Here to Eternity- abstain
The Sweet Hereafter- abstain
Close Encounters of the Third Kind- 6
A Man for All Seasons- abstain

Batch #2

Good Will Hunting- 8
Red River- 9
Sleuth- abstain
Clerks- 9
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring- 10
Stand by Me- abstain
The Quiet Man- 7
MASH- abstain
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial- abstain
The Godfather- 9
The Shawshank Redemption- abstain
The Terminator- 6

Batch #3

Blazing Saddles- 9
The 400 Blows- abstain
An American in Paris- abstain
McCabe & Mrs. Miller-abstain
Sophie's Choice- abstain
Ocean's Eleven (2001)- 5
What's Eating Gilbert Grape- abstain
Dances with Wolves- 10
Adaptation- 8
The Lion King- 8
Psycho- 9
The Right Stuff- 10

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I don't want to screw up the curve as it were by not following Jim's guidelines. The problem is, that I can't, as I just can't rate film greatness as something objective. Nevertheless, I am willing to withdraw my votes and sit this out if it's screwing things up here.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I've given out three scores lower than 5, and none lower than 2. It seems obvious to me that some people are giving well-regarded movies a ridiculously low score as a form of "anti-hype". Just because you don't like a movie doesn't mean it's a 0, folks.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but why isn't my name in the participants list?

Arman

Screenwriter
Jim should had posted the guidelines in his first/original post because we would had avoided all this to each his own (and ridiculous :D) scoring system. :D j/k But anyway, I will revise my scores (only if others will indicate that they will also revise their scores based on Jim's scoring system) in Batch #s 1 thru 4 since I will be more generous (to masterworks/great films) using Jim's guideline (i.e, adding 1 to some of my 7s, 8s and 9s) and will be less forgiving and more stingy with the mediocre ones.

"I've given out three scores lower than 5, and none lower than 2. It seems obvious to me that some people are giving well-regarded movies a ridiculously low score as a form of "anti-hype". Just because you don't like a movie doesn't mean it's a 0, folks."

Exactly my thoughts too!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks