What's new

Blu-ray Review The Great Escape Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Watched the blu ray of The Great Escape on my 60inch Sharp 2012 640U monitor. Overall it was the best I ever have ever seen the film on home video. I did see the movie in the theater upon first release and it looked great. I think the last time I saw it at home was on VHS pan and scan and Steve McQueen was in the cooler throwing the ball out of frame.

I understand about the softness of the optical shots in the film, the titles and the dissolves. But one thing perplexes me. During the 4th of July sequence all of the outdoor scenes are soft but the intercut interior (studio) scenes all look sharp. So were there problems shooting the outdoor scenes during that whole sequence or perhaps exteriors during the whole film? Or did they shoot the exteriors diffused?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dee Zee said:
Watched the blu ray of The Great Escape on my 60inch Sharp 2012 640U monitor. Overall it was the best I ever have ever seen the film on home video. I did see the movie in the theater upon first release and it looked great. I think the last time I saw it at home was on VHS pan and scan and Steve McQueen was in the cooler throwing the ball out of frame.

I understand about the softness of the optical shots in the film, the titles and the dissolves. But one thing perplexes me. During the 4th of July sequence all of the outdoor scenes are soft but the intercut interior (studio) scenes all look sharp. So were there problems shooting the outdoor scenes during that whole sequence or perhaps exteriors during the whole film? Or did they shoot the exteriors diffused?
I'm thinking that last option for some exteriors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks