What's new

The Good Wife Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Poor Cary! But maybe his beating will be the springboard to get rid of Nick permanently.

I noticed Grace's bad boy boyfriend is played by the actor who plays Finn on Bones (but without his Kentucky accent). He plays age 19 on Bones, but he looked older to me on The Good Wife last night.

I have a feeling that the Judd Hirsch judge character will be back during this season. I was a little disappointed with the cliched handling of Amanda Peet's character: stumbling early in court and being given a quick how-to by Alicia and then turning into a masterful interrogator in court. Exact same thing happened last year with the intern character played by Anna Camp.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
MattH. said:
Poor Cary! But maybe his beating will be the springboard to get rid of Nick permanently.
I noticed Grace's bad boy boyfriend is played by the actor who plays Finn on Bones (but without his Kentucky accent). He plays age 19 on Bones, but he looked older to me on The Good Wife last night.
I have a feeling that the Judd Hirsch judge character will be back during this season. I was a little disappointed with the cliched handling of Amanda Peet's character: stumbling early in court and being given a quick how-to by Alicia and then turning into a masterful interrogator in court. Exact same thing happened last year with the intern character played by Anna Camp.
I was just catching up with my DVR and actually watched the Bones multi-intern episode back to back with The Good Wife last night.
I would never have made the connection between Finn and Grace's boyfriend. Not just the lack of accent, but not even any physical resemblance. Different hair, well dressed, shaved, etc. Amazing the difference between two characters. Shows what acting and some hair/makeup/costume changes can do.
Hopefully this is a way to get rid of the Nick character. Read that the co-creators were sorry with the way they've treated Kalinda this season, don't think it has turned out quite the way they expected.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, that was a great exchange. And anyone who has ever had to deal with an inlaw (or parent) like that knows exactly where that's coming from.
I also liked the complex story about DOMA and an attorney seeking to find a way to get a case before the Supreme Court.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Really enjoyed Bruce McGill as the calculating attorney. I'm so used to seeing him on Rizzoli and Isles that hearing him act with a southern accent was very unexpected. I love how this show can make complex legal issues clear without unduly slanting right and wrong to one side or the other. We pull for Lockhart/Gardner even when they're representing drug dealers.

And I LOVED how Cary handled Nick in his exchange with him.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
MattH. said:
I love how this show can make complex legal issues clear without unduly slanting right and wrong to one side or the other.
Yes. A David E. Kelley or Aaron Sorkin show would spend the hour using its characters as a mouthpiece to lecture the audience on the inequities caused by DOMA. "The Good Wife" accepts that as a given, and then grapples with issues and questions those inequities raise; the difference in responsibility between a trial firm (concerned first and foremost with achieving the most positive outcome for its client) and a constitutional lawyer (ostensibly concerned with the same but really focused on the long game of moving the issue to the Supreme Court), the client deciding whether to sacrifice himself so that others in his position in the future might be better off. What do they say? Good entertainment provides answers, great entertainment asks questions.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt /t/324126/the-good-wife-season-4/30#post_4008639
So did Kalinda just murder her husband?

I'm guessing that she didn't kill him, but he's going to turn up dead and she's going to be blamed and need Alicia to defend her in court. That's just a guess, but I can't imagine any other reason they wouldn't show us what she came up with for Plan B.

I always hate it when Lockhart/Gardner loses in court (even if they did have the guilty party). And hasn't Amanda Peet's character become almost unbearably smug over the course of a couple of weeks?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
That's what I'm thinking for right now. We might end up with a multi-episode arc of getting her off.

But I'm more interested in why the DOJ is after Peter.. is he just a target because a wealthy and well connected opponent wants him to be? Or does this go farther back then that?

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
MattH. said:
I'm guessing that she didn't kill him, but he's going to turn up dead and she's going to be blamed and need Alicia to defend her in court. That's just a guess, but I can't imagine any other reason they wouldn't show us what she came up with for Plan B.
I always hate it when Lockhart/Gardner loses in court (even if they did have the guilty party). And hasn't Amanda Peet's character become almost unbearably smug over the course of a couple of weeks?
I completely agree about Amanda Peet's character. The snarky comments in the hallways are bad enough, but in the courtroom they are preposterous.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm just counting down until they start banging gavels together (Will G. and the Amanda Peet character). I'm hoping Kalinda just dumped her ex into a car junkyard compactor.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun /t/324126/the-good-wife-season-4/30#post_4008809
I'm just counting down until they start banging gavels together (Will G. and the Amanda Peet character).

Oh, definitely. That's obviously where their rivalry is headed.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
So did Kalinda just murder her husband?
I certainly hope so.
Looked like she was ready to pull out a gun when she stood up to him, but maybe we'll never know. She's a woman with many talents.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Both Louis Canning and Wendy Scott-Carr return. They really make us hate her - she is really a piece of work. I should have expected Louis Canning's final note of the episode, but it was a surprise. It will be an interesting second half of the season. It looks like things will be getting worse for the firm before they get better.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
A friend sent me a message and it hit home.. Wendy Scott Carr reminds us so much of Delores Umbridge (For those that get Harry Potter). She's the kind of goodie-goodie who seems to use her force to settle debts and wreck havoc on others. The reason why you hate her so much is because it's the kind of torment that most of us are familiar with, someone who just plays cards to hurt people. I loved every moment of her onscreen time, it was great to see her take whacks at people ;) The storyline with Canning was also great stuff. Now that he's bought up the debt, is he planning a hostile takeover? It's great how good that Michael J Fox is in this role.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
This poor firm is being assaulted on three fronts; it's almost overkill. I always get a kick out of Alicia outwitting and outmaneuvering the snake that is Louis Canning, but they always figure out a way to have him have the last laugh, so I have to say I wasn't surprised by the bombshell he dropped at the end of the episode.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Was anyone else's DVR recording for this episode screwed up? Based on the time when it went to credits, I think I only got the second half of the episode. It's weird, because the guide listings didn't show this episode as starting at 9:30 like it does when there are two back-to-back NFL games. I really enjoyed what I saw though. Louis Canning is like Lucy from "Peanuts." Every time I think Lockhart/Gardner's finally going to get to kick the football, and every time he pulls it away at the last second. I really appreciated having Canning and Wendy Scott-Carr featured in the same episode. As villains go, the former just exudes finesse and class, while the latter lacks both. At least with Canning buying up the debt, you can feel sorry for Lockhart/Gardner's latest misfortune. It's harder to feel sorry on the Wendy Scott-Carr front. But intimidating her former campaign manager, Diane poked the bear. Now the firm (and Eli) are reaping the just rewards. Needless to say, I don't think they're going to be getting the extension they're looking for.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Canning always getting the last laugh in is beyond old at this point. Also, unless Canning has other backers his ability to buy up the firms debt is a continuity error as it was well established in previous episodes that he does not have that kind of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks