What's new

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (4k Remastered Blu-ray) Single Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
dpippel said:
Do you always have to be so confrontational? Do you have a source other than your own commentary?
I don't know what this means. I have my own eyes and the assistant cameraman is known to have been involved in the transfer. That information is all over the Internet. My eyes viewing my Tech print prompted my long response in another thread about what I'd seen. I can't really offer anything else to the discussion, but I never base my opinions on what other video transfers' color looked like. Lastly, I don't see the "confrontational" part - I made a joke, put a smiley face - not sure how anyone could miss that. I could put a sound film of laughing if that would help :)

I said clearly in my thoughts in the other thread that several scenes are indeed too yellow heavy, but that the majority of the transfer is very similar to what my Tech print's color looked like. I also said there is not one instance of a green sky (as in so many of the online caps) in this transfer and it just makes me wonder exactly what color settings people are using.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Sorry, but it didn't come across as a joke even with the smiley face. Now more sarcasm. Whatever.

I think I'll go enjoy a screening of Guardians of the Galaxy and grab a few laughs...

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
The best thing to do is to read the original thread which discusses this release, especially the last few pages, as that contains the bulk of the debate and the various impressions of this new release.

Briefly, some people like it, some people don't. There is no definitive answer as to whether YOU will like it.

I'm not going to get into the screencap debate again, but as Steen DK proves with a video on the last page of the thread linked above, the controversial "green sky" screencap is 100% accurate - i.e. it looks identical to the way that frame appears on the Blu-ray disc. Now whether you see that much green or yellow on your own display will depend on several key factors including whether your display is calibrated, how sensitive you are to color issues, and how quickly you adjust to the new color tone.

In terms of faithfulness to the original look, I'm not qualified to comment on this, however the case for the new yellow look being accurate seems fairly strong. But it bears noting that since the first two films are not yet out with the same color timing, if you watch all three movies within a short space of time, then the third is going to look noticeably different. That simple fact is the main reason I'm not purchasing this version of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly until at the very least a set is released with all three movies having the same color timing.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Changes in Theatres are common place. They made the changes because the times are different and they could no longer make a profit on what was there. The days of long runs and Roadshows are over. You have to find a way to re interest the public to come out to and see a movie. In truth the ones that don't like the conversion are not the ones they want to attract. The also don't want to attract any public that is over the age 40. Like the quoted from the movie MRS BROWN YOU HAVE A LOVELY DAUGHTER, "The world is for the young." And many, including myself are passed over If the changes were not made the theatre probably would not have existed more than a couple years more. It still may not due to the poor reception of titles now days.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
FoxyMulder said:
I have this disc, it's not too yellow, ignore anything you have heard, it's great quality, buy it.
Either way, the mono is fouled up. Dealbreaker for me, obviously YMMV.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
hanshotfirst1138 said:
Either way, the mono is fouled up. Dealbreaker for me, obviously YMMV.
Did they use the 5.1 remix as the basis for the mono track, that's not good, is there a way to sync it up using other sources. ?

Not a deal breaker for me obviously but i understand how that could be an issue for you and other people.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
FoxyMulder said:
I have this disc, it's not too yellow, ignore anything you have heard, it's great quality, buy it.
I would agree with that as well, Malcolm

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Ronald Epstein said:
I would agree with that as well, Malcolm
I have a friend nearby who I just found out owns the Man With No Name trilogy BD set with the remastered GBU. Will watch it tonight on my ultra wide screen and report back.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
FoxyMulder said:
Did they use the 5.1 remix as the basis for the mono track, that's not good, is there a way to sync it up using other sources. ?Not a deal breaker for me obviously but i understand how that could be an issue for you and other people.
Yes. They could've at least used seamless beaching for the theatrical cut of used the downmix only for the extended scenes, but they didn't. And they could've issued a recall since there are credits at the end for a "mono restoration." But they didn't. I might pick it up for the Frayling commentary used. Some fans have been working on syncing the two properly (and on correcting the colors", but I must admit, I'm always reticent to own fan-edits because of fears about the legal issues involved. But it'd be ideal for this one. It staggers me that some fan is willing to do this in his basement with consumer equipment for no profit, but a multibilliondollar studio can't do it with the most sophisticated resources in the AV business.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
FoxyMulder said:
Did they use the 5.1 remix as the basis for the mono track, that's not good, is there a way to sync it up using other sources. ?

Not a deal breaker for me obviously but i understand how that could be an issue for you and other people.
Yes. The extra frustrating/infuriating thing is is that they did make a track containing the original original mono with the ADR for extended scenes mixed with the original music and effects track, but they didn't put it on the disc.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
The only yellow I saw was about 90 minutes into the film... But it wasn't on screen... I had to take a short intermission to drain the main vein. ;)

Seriously though, the skies were never green, or yellow. Sometimes they were grayish white, light blue, bluish gray, and even deep blue.

Grass, trees, and bushes were green though. Sometimes very much so.

I tried really hard to find a scene that had an objectionable yellow wash. The only time I noticed something that may have qualified was when Tuco had just finished crossing the desert and was walking on a suspended wooden bridge shortly before he arrived back into the town where he selects a new revolver. That's it. The rest looked fine to me.

I have seen this film many times over the last 45 years, and every time it seems fresh and new. It's one of the few films I know of that just seems to improve with age. And I always find something that I missed in previous viewings. Even more so given the sharpness and clarity of the current 4k restoration.

My Epson 5020 was employed with the task of presenting this classic western. Settings were normal lamp, and THX mode. Projected from approximately 17' back onto a DIY 135" diagonal Wilsonart Designer White 1.3 gain screen in a completely light controlled room. My Oppo BDP-93 served as the player.

If I hadn't read about the controversy over the "yellow push" beforehand, I can honestly say that I would have never noticed it. Maybe it depends on ones type of display, and calibration settings, room lighting, who knows? All I know is that this is the best I have ever seen it look and sound.

I hope that in the future, the original U.S. theatrical version with a correct mono track will be included for those who prefer it. For now, this is the version that I will watch and enjoy.

cb1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I'm no expert in these matters, all I have to add is that in my eyes the color gave it a "desert" feel. There are one or two scenes where it was a little heavy, but overall I enjoyed the presentation.
The 5.1 sound was great until the voice of a off screen person talked and it sounded like it came from the corner of my viewing room. my set up has my front speakers far in the corners of the room so it sounded way off. I just shut off the stereo and listened to it off the TV speakers and it was "ok".

So I enjoyed it very much, but because of the sound, I give my non-expert opinion of 8 out of 10.

Derrick King

Screenwriter

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, but it's 100% sure that this is the proper mono with the downmix spliced in for the new scenes? If they'd just frigging used beaching, they could've solved that problem altogether. Granted, there's still the Orange wash, but that's a whole separate issue.Also, I hate to derail this thread, but what're the best bets for the other Leone flicks? I understand the U.S. version of DYS has a downmix, did FOD & FAFDM too? I think OUATIW actually DID have the proper mono, and sadly I don't think any version of OUATIA has ever retained it. What's he best bet, the German releases for the first two Dollars movies and the Italian release for DYS?

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
hanshotfirst1138 said:
I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, but it's 100% sure that this is the proper mono with the downmix spliced in for the new scenes?
100% sure. Multiple people on Blu-ray.com forums have confirmed it.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Now if only they'd fix the downmix foul-ups on the other Leone films :(. Don't see that happening though, I guess I'll hunt around and see what the best bets are on the foreign releases. Still, kudos to Fox fixing this mistake at least. Granted, there's the whole yellow tint, but that's a whole separate issue.

Rob Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Comparing the latest GB&U remastered with the first trilogy version: remaster has a yellowish sepia-like tint, a greenish tint in the blacks and noticeably more detail. With a few tweaks on my television - cooling the color temp, and turning down the green hue, green saturation and green luminance (in the pro settings on my screen) - I prefer the new single release re-master over the older trilogy release.

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steen
Rob Mac said:
Comparing the latest GB&U remastered with the first trilogy version: remaster has a yellowish sepia-like tint, a greenish tint in the blacks and noticeably more detail. With a few tweaks on my television - cooling the color temp, and turning down the green hue, green saturation and green luminance (in the pro settings on my screen) - I prefer the new single release re-master over the older trilogy release.
:thumbs-up-smiley: Yep, the colours can be fixed with a bit of fiddling. I got hold of a fan edit that corrects the colours, adds the mono soundtrack, and removes the horrible grotto scene - the movie is basically perfect now. (I don't think there's anything wrong with this as long as you've paid for the disc - and the DVD... and the VHS. The studio got their money, I got the film the way I want it. Everybody's happy.)

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steen
dpippel said:
I think I'll go enjoy a screening of Guardians of the Galaxy and grab a few laughs...
Just you wait for the blu-ray... it's been greenified like so many, many other modern releases (though, to be fair, it may very well have looked the same in the cinema - I wouldn't know as I never go anymore).

But a great film.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Steen DK said:
:thumbs-up-smiley: Yep, the colours can be fixed with a bit of fiddling. I got hold of a fan edit that corrects the colours, adds the mono soundtrack, and removes the horrible grotto scene - the movie is basically perfect now. (I don't think there's anything wrong with this as long as you've paid for the disc - and the DVD... and the VHS. The studio got their money, I got the film the way I want it. Everybody's happy.)
I always worry about fan-edits, in spite of many interesting ones out there like these (I'm especially interested in this one and the Despecialized Edition), but I always worry about having the door kicked in by someone coming to tell me that Orange IS the new black ;). Well, that and the countless Hong Kong films which fans have tried to fix from the hideous messes the distributors have made :(. Maybe this is a precursor to other MGM Leone rereleases? I think they did a 4K master of FOD for the 50 anniversary this year, Tarantino was whining about how digital "depressed" him when he saw it at Cannes :rolleyes:. I think the big question of those three is FAFDM, apparently even the better releases of that still look a little ragged. Was there ever a Blu release of DYS with the mono? I think he US DVD and Blu-ray both had downmixes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks