What's new

THE GOLDEN GIRLS: Season One - November 23rd, 2004 (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
FINALLY!!

--

Golden Girls, The - List Price Info, Plus New Date for the Girls
Posted by David Lambert
8/17/2004

We had hoped to wait on this info until we had more details, but tonight we started receiving reports that some retailers are starting to list these, even though it's just a date and a price. So here's what little we know:

Last May there was a report from a Disney-themed fan site, UltimateDisney.com that said The Golden Girls - Season 1 would arrive on DVD this November 30th.

Now we've learned that the release date is actually November 23rd (just in time for Thanksgiving), and that the list price of this set will be $49.99. And that's all we know right now!

Our thanks to Michael Clifton, Jeff Montoya, and others for their help with this. Stay tuned for further developments and updates on it; we're working to get the rest just as soon as we can!

Link to this page:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2089

All news for this show:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/shownews.cfm?ShowID=1928

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Thanks to Luke!

--

GREAT TELEVISION ON DVD
THE GOLDEN GIRLS (Season One)
HOME IMPROVEMENT (Season One)
BOY MEETS WORLD (Season Two)
Each DVD Set Available On November 23

BURBANK, Calif., August 17, 2004 – Buena Vista Home Entertainment presents three great new DVD
television collections, THE GOLDEN GIRLS Season One, HOME IMPROVEMENT Season One,
and BOY MEETS WORLD Season Two. These landmark television shows can now be enjoyed with
DVD-quality picture and sound, and bonus materials and audio commentaries are offered. Come join the
fun as such stars as Tim Allen, Pamela Anderson, Beatrice Arthur, Betty White, Rue McClanahan, Estelle
Getty, Ben Savage and more share the laughs that have kept millions entertained! Each of these terrific
DVD sets is available separately for $49.99 (S.R.P.).

THE GOLDEN GIRLS (Season One)

An Emmy Award-winner for Outstanding Comedy Series in its very first year, The Golden Girls has
become a landmark in television history and an all-time fan favorite. Beatrice Arthur, Rue McClanahan,
Betty White and Estelle Getty star as four South Florida seniors sharing a house, their dreams and a whole
lot of cheesecake. Bright, promiscuous, clueless and hilarious, these lovely, mismatched ladies form the
perfect circle of friends.

Experience all 25 laugh-packed episodes of Season One in this spectacular 3-disc set, including the series
pilot and an exclusive bonus feature that offers a whole new look at the show. It’s all the provocative fun
and entertainment you remember ...and so much more.

BONUS FEATURE:
• Fashion Commentary – Joan and Melissa Rivers provide their own unique brand of fashion critique in
a hilarious featurette that pays tribute to the crazy, kitschy wardrobes of The Golden Girls.

STREET DATE: NOVEMBER 23, 2004
Direct prebook: September 23
Distributor prebook: October 12
Suggested retail price: $49.99 each.
Run times: Various
Rating: Not rated. Bonus features unrated.
Aspect ratio: 1.33:1, formatted 4x3
Sound: Dolby® Digital 2.0

Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Inc., is a recognized industry leader. Buena Vista Home
Entertainment, Inc. is the marketing, sales and distribution company for Walt Disney, Touchstone,
Miramax, Dimension and Buena Vista videocassettes and DVDs.

© Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Inc.

Shawn_Sm

Stunt Coordinator
I'm very excited, I just wish this habit of cramming 24+ episodes on 3 discs would go away.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
well, to be fair, at about 25 minutes an episode, you can fit roughly 9 episodes into the 4 hour limit.

If they did it..

Disc 1 - 8 episodes (200 minutes...a little over 3 hours)
Disc 2 - 8 episodes (same)
Disc 3 - 9 episodes (225 minutes... 3.5 hours)

you could fit the entire season, and probably not lose any quality in the image.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Time to do the happy happy joy joy dance!!! This is easily the one title I have looked forward to most this year (apart from Worst Witch: The Movie). I can't tell you how many times I've seen every episode on Lifetime and I never get tired of them. I am eagerly looking forward to getting to see all the stuff that gets cut out for syndication (not to mention hearing the entire theme song for every ep!!) :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Rodrick

Second Unit
NO WAY the only way they can fit that many on a disc is if they do it on both sides of a DVD.

DustinC

Stunt Coordinator
Wow I can't wait to get this! I was beginning to think it would never happen. I have never wanted a show or movie so badly. Lets just hope they continue releasing seasons.

Dustin

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Well, it's about f'in time. But what an expensive Hanukkah this is turning out to be.

Anyone want some cheesecake?

Josh Carpenter

Auditioning
you think we will atleast get a Rue McClanahan / Betty White commentary?

I dont think Bea is interested.. and last I heard, Estella was Ill.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

That would be great. Bea participated the Lifetime retrospective, but was filmed/interviewed separate from Betty/Rue. Estelle has been quite ill. And Herb Edelman (Stan) has passed away. Harold Gould (Arnie/Miles) is still with us, though.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Am I the only one a little saddened at the lack of special features planned for this release? There have been several documentaries aired over the past several years including Intimate Portraits on all four actresses, TV Tales: The Golden Girls, the Lifetime Reunion, etc. In addition, photo gallaries of promos, stills, and magazine covers ie. TV Guide. Also, original promos such as TV spots, etc. I think this could really be a classy release, if given the chance. I have also heard of a TV program showcasing the NBC fall 1985 new shows, featuring the Golden Girls, which would be a nice treat. There could also be a mini showcase of the Golden Girls spin-offs such as Empty Nest, and the follow-up, The Golden Palace (which, when the releases of The Golden Girls are complete, I hope gets its own set.)

Of course this doesn't all have to be on the first season, and could be spread across all 7. Hey, a die-hard fan like me can dream, can't I? haha

Andy

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It is disappointing that the only extra is a commentary by two people not stars of this show, making fun of their wardrobe.

But then again, that we are getting presumably uncut episodes in any form from Disney is an achievement in itself.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
While there may be a lot of documentaries and such on this show, that doesn't mean that Disney owns the rights to all of those documentaries, which is an important thing to remember when discussing possible special features. I wish we got more than the one commentary though, I might have to buy this release twice.

1 for me.
1 for my mom.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I just wanted to point out to all those people who have snickered, and thought Golden Girls isn't worthy of a DVD release (no worries, no one here!) Golden Girls is currently number one on Amazon.com!

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks