What's new

The Godfather new prints (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

I have a question regarding the Godfather that according to a member on another forum has been put directly to film from 4k data files.

So has there really been no additional stage between the digital files and the prints and were all new prints produced in that way ?

I am asking because I would really like to see how such a print looks as it is my understanding that this process is still very rarely used and on the other hand a promising way to produce 70mm prints from movies that were shot in TLA.

Thanks !

Oliver

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

The new Godfather prints are derived from a new 4k digital negative, which in turn is used to strike the prints.

If one were able to record to print stock, and I'm not certain that one can, there would be no perceptible difference on screen, and print cost could be $100,000 plus.

And yes, you're quite correct that 4k is a rara avis.

RAH

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Thanks,

I will try to catch a screening then. Was the final printing done as a contact print ?

Regarding the technology to record to film stock directly here are two links. The company name is cinevation and it seems the process is not very costly as it is recommended for independant productions:

Cinevation

http://www.motion.kodak.com/motion/u...evatorfive.pdf

Right now it is only possible to record from 2k. Apart from the limited resolution you might find other aspects of performance that are lacking but it seems like a step in the right direction to me.

Oliver

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks