What's new

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (1 Viewer)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Originally Posted by Southpaw

Any UKers know if the Momentum UK release will have lossless audio? I've searched and searched and found no audio specs on this release.

Over at blu-ray.com someone who received an advance review copy confirmed NO lossless audio for the UK.

However, someone emailed Roadshow, who are handling the Australian release and he got this in reply...

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Blu-ray has both options, lossless DTS-HD Master Audio and lossy Dolby Digital Audio tracks. The audio is also in Swedish only. The video contains burnt in english subtitles."

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Threads like this are why I love HTF. I decided to take a chance on a blind purchase of this film based on comments here. Had it not been for HTF, I probably never would have even been aware that the film existed.

Anyway, I watched TGWTDT last night, and absolutely loved the film. It is always an amazing experience to get so absorbed into a foreign language film that you do not even realize you are reading subtitles. I am now looking forward to seeing the second film in this "trilogy".

Also, a big kudos to Amazon. I ordered this bundled with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in order to get free shipping. The latter film is not due to be released for a couple of weeks, yet Amazon sent me TGWTDT separately with no shipping charge instead of making me wait. This is not the first time Amazon has done this on an order, either.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I also watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo over

the weekend.

Found it to be quite good though I really have no

immediate interest in following up with the sequels.

Very interesting interview with the titled actress,

Noomie Rapace. She's a remarkably beautiful

woman compared to the character she plays.

I would recommend this as a blind purchase.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I started a thread for this in the movies section but I guess with obscure films like this it's going to be best to talk about them in the software section.

I really enjoyed this, easily one of the best films I've seen in the last decade. From the plot, to the acting to the cinemaphotography, it has it all. Very well done film and I am really looking forward to parts 2 and 3, unlike Ron above. The ending of this first one had me wanting to watch the sequel right away, really left me hanging.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

She's a remarkably beautiful woman compared to the character she plays.

Especially at the end when she walks away as a blonde, WOW!!!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I've been debating books vs. film with this title / series. Probably going to go the book route since all three are available.

- Walter.

Shawn DuHast

Stunt Coordinator
I would really recommend reading the books first as a lot in the films is only hinted at due to time restraints and the films will make a lot better sense.

I read the books first then watched all three films and the films definitely had a lot deeper meaning and more emotional impact when you knew the wider context of them.

Also there seems to be a very good documentary doing the rounds, only in the US though :-( about Stieg Larsson and the fourth unfinished book and up 10!! outlines for further stories. Also about the legal fight which may prevent any of it ever being published :-(

http://www.musicboxtheatre.com/features/millennium-the-story

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly Girl Who Plays With Fire is just as good as Tattoo.

James Bs review kind of said the same thing as Ron, that the first film is good enough on its own without the need to keep going. But supposedly the 2nd film doesnt disappoint.

Im waiting for all 3 then will watch them all.

His reviews for those interested....

http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_template.php?identifier=2044

http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_template.php?identifier=2112

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I was actually disappointed with the second one.

Much of what I enjoyed in the first was the interaction between the two main characters, and the two don't share any screen time until the final scene - and then she is practically unconscious. I was also bothered by an awkward plot device that violated what I understood about Lisbeth.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Cameron hits the nail on the head. However, as I noted in the Blu-ray review, much of the difference results from the direction in which Larsson chose to take his characters. In addition, parts 2 and 3 had a different screenwriter and director, and it shows.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I bought this a week or so ago because people said it was very good, I agree, the movie is very good. It has a lot of intrigue and suspense as the story unfolds. After about 5 minutes I forgot all about the subtitles. Too bad I don't have a Region 2 player so maybe I will drive a distance to see it in the theaters.

I think Lisbeth is very attractive even as the punker girl, and I liked her with black hair then blonde.

She has hairy armpits.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I finally watched the BD of this last night and count me among the unimpressed. It's a pretty standard - almost cliched - detective procedural, and not very well-paced, at that. Beyond a couple semi-brutal graphic moments (not ready for the multiplex), I don't know why the U.S. is bothering to remake it when it's already commercially broad and banal as it is (and competently dubbed). And there's no way Russell Crowe or an A-list 'alpha' male actor jumps on this when the girl is clearly the star and upstages his wimpy ass at every turn.

I hope the book was a lot better.

Note: If this opinion seems a little strong, it's only in reaction to all the hype built up around this release/project.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
According to Hollywood Reporter, Daniel Craig will play the part of Mikael Blomkvist in the American remake.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Marko, that's an excellent casting choice. The

two actors are somewhat similar.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Yes, they are, and I too think Craig is a good choice for the part. He's a capable actor, able to display a wide range of emotions, including the 'wimpy ass' type of person Wayne Carter thinks Mikael Blomkvist is. Although that characterization makes me think of Craig's character in Enduring Love; I think he'll play the role of Blomkvist differently.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Craig is a good choice because, beyond Bond, he has proven to be more of a character actor ("Layer Cake") and doesn't seem as interested in being the prototypical alpha male star who doesn't want to show any flaws (or be upstaged by his co-stars).

The 'wimpy ass' remark I made was related more to the events in the story/finale related to the character and not the actor himself playing Blomkvist.

I mean, let's face it; his ass is totally saved by the girl in the end; which would probably never happen in an Americanized version starring a Tom Cruise-type male hero star. An ending which I'm not convinced won't still be changed dramatically in the American version.

My comment about how they shouldn't bother doing an American version is because it's alreadly a 'happy ending' commercial picture with everything neatly tied up (until the sequel, of course). I heard on NPR the author was intending to ultimately do 10 in the series, so he was already thinking like an American movie studio exec.

When I think of all the films ruined by American versions (and the list is long), "The Vanishing" comes to the top of my list. The original Dutch version about a girl gone missing and her boyfriend spending years obsessed with finding her - to the point where he will do anything just to know, was so perfectly brilliant and creepy. And then the American version, of course, had to completely usurp the whole point of the ending with the most contrived and over the top rescue possible.

This film already has that style American ending in my opinion.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The book was a lot more even-handed between Blomkvist and Salander than the Swedish film was -- though the Swedish film was generally paced better than the book was. Craig's a fine choice for Blomkvist, which is a fairly thankless role anyway. I don't see why casting for Salandar is such a big trial; just hire Ellen Page and be done with it. Of the five currently under consideration, though, only Emily Browning fits the bill. Salandar needs to be very short and deceptively childlike. Hiring a six-foot stick of a model would lose the whole point of the character.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks