1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Gate (1987) deserves a Special Edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by PaulKTF, Aug 25, 2007.

1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Well-Known Member

Paul
    Anyone else like the 1987 horror movie The Gate? It was released on DVD in a bare bones pan-and-scan transfer and it's now out of print. I'd love for it to be re-released in widescreen with at least the trailer and a few Tv spots...

2. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Well-Known Member

Michael
    I was under the impression that the DVD you are refering to was a pirate disc, could be wrong though.

I agree, "The Gate" certainly deserves at least a widescreen release. I wish Anchor Bay owned this one.

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Well-Known Member

Paul

As far as I know, it was a legitimate release (but I coudl be wrong of course).

4. walter o

walter o Well-Known Member

THE GATE was legit, as the owners of the New Century/Vista library gave this, THE WRAITH, TRICK OR TREAT, RUSSKIES, DEFENSELESS to Platinum DVD.

5. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Well-Known Member

Platinum has now rechristened itself Echo Bridge, and is looking to be on a level with the other big indie DVD labels, so maybe this will mean they will go back and revisit the New Century titles that they previously released.

Or, since it has been about five years or so since their budget-level DVDs first came out, the package may be up for sale again and this time another company will do them better.

But I've always been curious as to how TRICK OR TREAT wound up in this batch, as it was a DEG release and it was initially on VHS through Lorimar, who had also released DEG movies like MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE and BLUE VELVET. StudioCanal owns the DEG library, and aside from BLUE VELVET, which they seem to have full-on sold to MGM for theatrical and DVD release, they have been slowly reissuing them through deals with Anchor Bay, Fox (both expired), and now Lionsgate. But TRICK has languished somehow.

6. RoyM

RoyM Well-Known Member

Interesting to hear that, Mark. I know that Echo Bridge is doing a re-release of PROM NIGHT that is due out in a few weeks, supposedly in WS, although other details are scant. I have Platinum's previous release of this title, and it was a horrible full-screen, sub-VHS quality transfer. Given that, and the low price of the upcoming re-release ($5.99 or so at most online retailers), I am holding out very little hope that this release will be much of an improvement. But perhaps (and hopefully) I will be proven wrong, and we will at least finally get a WS 16x9 version of PROM NIGHT.

7. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Well-Known Member

According to amazon.com unbox downloads , the current studio that owns the rights are lionsgate.So dont be suprised, if its rereleased later this year on dvd, hopefully with a widescreen transfer and lots of extras like the monster squad dvd !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Until then, im still holding on to the old fullscreen dvd , I dont care that its fetching big bucks, I love this movie to give it up.