What's new

The Future of PERRY MASON (Season 6 & beyond) (1 Viewer)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Richard Kaufman said:
It's just my opinion, but I foresee the demise of the physical DVD as at most 5 to 10 years away. And by that I mean the demise of all physical media as a mode of delivering content.
Not until everyone has the broadband capacity to stream those massive files. DC might, but lots of us won't for a L-O-N-G time, if ever. Until we do, don't look for the studios to write off that big an audience.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I question whether streaming or downloading will ever be practical. You have ISPs raising prices for people who download large amounts of data. It's just going to be too expensive to download movies.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I think it is practical right now, in certain situations. But it is hardly universal, so your point is taken. But whereas I used to have to mail a DVD to someone so they could see my new video, now that practice is considered wasteful (postage, disc, and time taken to insert the disc in a player). While You Tube and its ilk are sufficient, I sometimes cringe at what the download quality, even at alleged 1080i, does to my video. But no one seems to really care. If they can get their content quick and easy, without fumbling with a disc, so much the better.
I'll take physical ownership and best quality.
You can pry my media disc from my cold, dead hand.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Season 7 Volume 1 coming August 21st: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Perry-Mason-Season-7-Volume-1/17007
Darby

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Darby67 said:
rh7bci.jpg

I think PM fans will be happy soon after that one too
24micrd.jpg

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Thrilled by all the CBS release news lately, and looking forward to more. Does anyone know why certain shows on the half-season release schedule have moved to releasing both half seasons at once, whereas others (like Perry Mason and Gunsmoke) are still releasing them at separate times? Does it have something to do with which series are still being sold in stores?

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Richard Kaufman said:
It's just my opinion, but I foresee the demise of the physical DVD as at most 5 to 10 years away. And by that I mean the demise of all physical media as a mode of delivering content.
Well, I couldn't disagree more. Perhaps all books, magazines and newspapers will also be extinct in 5 to 10 years, as well. Nothing is less romantic to me than a room full of hard drives containing all my music and movies, no artwork and no liner notes. I know that it is "new' and "modern" to "foresee" this demise, but it just doesn't add up. I'm not THAT OLD and neither are the many who regularly buy physical media. Plus, similar doomsday prophets who claimed that CDs and DVDs would degrade into dust in 15 years have been proven wrong. I was given a demo CD in Brazil in 1983 by a friend who was a record producer at Som Livre recently back from Japan. I had it out again last week and, guess what, it still plays perfectly and just like new. What if CDs and DVDs last over 100 years? Will that sacred little hard drive last that long? We, as a culture, may be forced toward a totalitarian robotic digital download future. But, there will be, and, in fact, already is a backlash. And, when another sophisticated worm like the one that is presently causing havoc in the Middle East enters your computer and hard drives, wiping out your entire media collection, I'll be at home with my solar panels and Oppo enjoying RUGGLES OF REDGAP.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Season 7 Volume 2 coming October 23rd: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Perry-Mason-Season-7-Volume-2/17274
Darby

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
It will be interesting to see if Seasons 7-9 got remastered to look as good as the first 6 seasons.
John

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
It's taken them a very long time to get this out, but hopefully by this time next year, we'll be close to having the entire run of PM on home video.

Steve

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
That's good news as the previous volumes, although somewhat expensive for half-seasons, have been as nice as any sets I have purchased.
I wonder if they will follow the series with the 26 TV-movies that began with Perry Mason Returns.
John

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
The TV movies were on a preliminary list a couple years ago but never came out. They are not currently on any of the future lists.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
As PM fans are aware, S7 part 1 was released this week. we watched the season premiere (Nebulous Nephew) last night. It was a great episode with the terrific Beulah Bondi in it, but imagine my surprise whent he end credits came on and the cast list was for a S8 episode! Very odd to see this happen. Almost comical especially since the first part of the credits (director, writer, etc.) look ok but then it switches over to an incorrect cast list.

That aside, it will be a challenge to not burn through this release very quickly. PM episodes are like potato chips, you can't have just one :)

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Steve...O said:
As PM fans are aware, S7 part 1 was released this week.  we watched the season premiere (Nebulous Nephew) last night.  It was a great episode with the terrific Beulah Bondi in it, but imagine my surprise whent he end credits came on and the cast list was for a S8 episode!  Very odd to see this happen.  Almost comical especially since the first part of the credits (director, writer, etc.) look ok but then it switches over to an incorrect cast list.
That aside, it will be a challenge to not burn through this release very quickly.  PM episodes are like potato chips, you can't have just one :)
Totally agree with the chip analogy. CBS is aware of the wrong credits issue and looking into it.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
JMas said:
That's good news as the previous volumes, although somewhat expensive for half-seasons, have been as nice as any sets I have purchased.
I wonder if they will follow the series with the 26 TV-movies that began with Perry Mason Returns.
John
Perry Mason Returns was included as a bonus feature on the Perry Mason 50th Anniversary DVD Box Set in 2008.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by Gary16 /t/308682/the-future-of-perry-mason-season-6-beyond/90#post_3966398
Totally agree with the chip analogy. CBS is aware of the wrong credits issue and looking into it.
Thanks, Gary, for the update. Notthing I'm losing sleep over, but odd indeed. Perhaps CBS/P can also look into and fix the inadvertant omission of a short scene (72 seconds) in the Fancy Figures episode from S2 and perhaps include the complete episode as a bonus episode in a future release. As far as I know, that's the only editing that has occured with any of the almost 200 episodes released to date.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I've only Bought Vol 1 of Season 1, I've thinking about getting the 5 season pack, but am wondering if I should Probably wait for the inevitable complete series pack that might have more content as CBS's complete series packs usually do. Some of the individual seasons can be had quite cheap now, but most of the newer ones post season 4 are still pricey. What to do, what to do.....

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
If you're adventurous enough to use Deep Discount, Perry Mason Season 7 Volume 1 is currently the deal of the day at $25.99.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm Waiting for the prices to drop to about 10-15 a set I bought season 2 and 3 for that price.
Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Scarpa /t/308682/the-future-of-perry-mason-season-6-beyond/90#post_3967062
I'm Waiting for the prices to drop to about 10-15 a set I bought season 2 and 3 for that price.

Unfortunately you'll probably be waiting quite some time. But if you can wait, I say more power to ya! I wish I had been willing to wait on some things early on in this hobby. I'd have saved myself a pretty penny, that's for sure.

Gary "I'm guessing that the price for the Perry Mason sets won't go that low until they've been out at least 3 or 4 years" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks