What's new

The Fugitive: Season Four, Volume 1 (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Eight episodes through, no Heyes music replacement. Am also hearing now some very familiar "Outer Limits" cues like "The Man Who Was Never Born" which was probably my favorite piece of OL music. You can also hear the middle part of the S1 OL Main Title at various points. Frankly, this music better suits the color shows because the older TZ music I think was more appropriate for B/W shows.

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
The Outer Limits music was awesome and incredibly moody and effective, at least the first season. Did not the music change in the second season and Frontiere no longer doing it. I know the opening music changed for the worse !

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Yes, the whole production team for OL changed in S2 ("Perry Mason's" former executive producer was now in charge) and that also meant totally new music by Harry Lubin.

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
Season 1 had a great musical score under Frontiere, but Lubins was good in season 2.

Everything changed in season 2 with the music and writing and storylines gong downhill, it is no wonder they cut the season short !

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Thanks and a "hearty hand clasp" to Jeff and Harry for confirming my memory regarding Vin Scully's uncredited voice cameo in THE FUGITIVE. I shudder to think CBS/Paramount pulling a Heyes there and replacing that classic bit of audio pop culture with, say Joe Buck or Thom Brennaman. Ugh.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
O/T --

I liked the music for both seasons of TOL, but the closing theme to season two (H. Lubin) was IMO far more interesting harmonically than that used for season one. I won't repeat here what I've written several times before regarding the G-minor theme. But I will reiterate that I think the progression, level of dissonance, and articulation with regard to the eighth-note rhythm in the strings is remarkable. And the augmented sixth (enharmonic or otherwise) consensus is gorgeous in this context, and when succeeded by the simultaneous minor ninth (E-flat a ninth above D), the tension created by the succession -- and especially the need for the latter interval to resolve -- is greatly enhanced as a result.

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
"I liked the music for both seasons of TOL, but the closing theme to season two (H. Lubin) was IMO far more interesting harmonically than that used for season one. I won't repeat here what I've written several times before regarding the G-minor theme. But I will reiterate that I think the progression, level of dissonance, and articulation with regard to the triplet rhythm in the strings is remarkable. And the augmented sixth (enharmonic or otherwise) consensus is gorgeous in this context, and when succeeded by the simultaneous minor ninth (E-flat a ninth above D), the tension created by the succession -- and especially the need for the latter interval to resolve -- is greatly enhanced as a result."

ummm, Ok I understood the first sentence, that you prefer Lubins closing theme over Frontiere, but after that I will need a translater !

Frontieres closing theme seem to have a more Sci-fi feel to it, then Lubins which I also enjoy !

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Shadyguy,

I like both themes as well.

I always listen to any music with an analytical ear. When I write seriously about music, I try to provide reasons why I like the music I do. Sometimes I may get a bit too technical, but not always. The overall musical fabric and the sound effects used on The Outer Limits are very compelling; as such, there is much that can be written about each.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
When checking out the dialog discrepancy on this fourth season set, I instinctively checked the subtitle function which confirmed what we hear on-screen. Something got me to checking out the older releases, none of which have the subtitle function, but use the CC closed captioning instead. Interesting change...

Harry

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
Just a thought here, with the big mess with the Fugitives music, but is it not unusual for a program like "The Outer Limits" to completely change its musical score from one season to another ?

That includes opening and closing credits along with music during the show which gave it a whole different feel in my opinion. Like I said before, Frontieres score had a more Sci-Fi feel to it and Lubins was more eery.

If Peter Ruggolo had been replaced during, say the 3rd season of The Fugitive, would all the music have been changed including everything we have come to love and fight for ??

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I don't know of many shows that change their theme music after they've been on multiple seasons. Usually a change comes after the first season if it's felt the show hasn't really established itself yet and they think this will shake things up and attract more interest.

One has to remember that cheapness was what guided "The Fugitive" from the get-go as far as music was concerned. Almost every other show of the day would commission a dozen or so fresh scores per season but "Fugitive", after getting Rugolo to compose 40 minutes of basically library cues (none of which were done in reference to specific scenes from the pilot) was just going the canned approach from that point on with old cues from other shows. Rugolo's contributions to the series in effect ended before the show got on the air. Thus, it's highly unlikely that a new composer would have been hired at additional expense to compose something totally fresh as far as new thematic material was concerned.

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
I decided to break out the "Outer Limits" Season 1 this morning a watched "The Forms of Things Unknown" and it has some great music, but the most recognizable was the familiar score from "The Invaders" series in 1968 !

Will they be using the same music for season 4 ??

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
I decided to break out the "Outer Limits" Season 1 this morning a watched "The Forms of Things Unknown" and it has some great music, but the most recognizable was the familiar score from "The Invaders" series in 1968 !

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
ooops, not sure how I did that, but can I delete the multiple copies of my post ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks