What's new

The Fugitive: Season 4 Vol. 2 (1 Viewer)

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Originally Posted by Joe Tor1 The local music/video store nearby work I wanted to go to had only one copy--and it was on hold for someone else!!!!! Without Fry's, I would have had to succumb to Amazon as well!!!!! (I did for S4, V1 when I brought that one in for XMAS!!!)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Tor1

I went to pick this up at Best Buy today, because I'm a Premiere Silver Member, and was told they weren't carrying it in store! Went to a neighboring Wal-Mart and no luck there either.

So, just now, I ordered it from Amazon. Is THIS what the retail market is coming to?

Anyway, I just completed Season One Volume One -- and have enjoyed that immensely. I'm also at various points in S1V2, S2V1, and S4V1.

Thanks to the folks in this thread, Gary, Steve, and the rest, for getting me into this great series.

Joe, please keep us informed as to your thoughts on various episodes. I really want to hear what you think about "Search in a Windy City" when you see it. Again, keep in mind that you've already had exposure to the one-armed man and try to view that episode as if you, and Kimble, hadn't had any contact with him since the night of the murder.

Gary "trying not to say too much about that, but that episode provided such a powerful moment in the series up to that point" O.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Joe:

Also, you have Season 2, Volume 1? Did you get that from Amazon? Is it a replacement set or one with all changed music? Those first two seasons, aren't they wonderful?

Please don't watch the rest of season 4 until you've seen seasons 1, 2, and 3. It just wouldn't be right. Report back, please!

Steve L.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Gary "great Fugitive fan that you are" O.

Just watched "Search ," "Angels," and "Bloodline" this weekend while recuperating from a bad cold. I should have fallen asleep, which would have helped me, but just enjoyed some great episodes. Listened for the music on epilogue of Pt 2 of Angels, as you discussed earlier, and it is great but then I have such appreciation for all the original music on this series since CBS/P started screwing with it. Impressed you knew the name of the piece though.

Expect to see my S4,V2 anytime now from Amazon. I've heard there will be no unpleasant surprises for us on it. As I told a friend of mine, I would trade a perfect Season 4 for a perfect Season 2 if I could. (Sigh)

Steve L.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Gary and Steve:

I’m going to save “Windy City” for a nice, quiet alone-time, when the wife is at work and I’m off. That should be coming very soon. I’ll report, as long as no one feels I’m hijacking the thread away from S4 V2. At the risk of doing so now, I’ve had some other great favorites from S1 V1 as well.

“Decision in the Ring”, “See Hollywood and Die”, “Ticket to Alaska”, “Fatso”, and “Terror at High Point”, beyond those we’ve discussed in previous posts.

I have FUGITIVE S4 V1 (from Best Buy – which is why I was so disappointed that they are not carrying S4 V2 in-store, after I made the trip), and both S1 Volumes and S2 V1 from Amazon.

My copy of S2 V1 is a “replacement version”.

I’ll confess that I AM going to cheat – and skip to the end of the series, when Amazon ships the S4 V2 set I SHOULD have had yesterday! After all, I was nearly through with S4 V1, before I entered this thread. Nevertheless, I very much appreciate all the comments and advice you guys have offered. You’ve made the experience better still for me!

Joe

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Joe:

Did you obtain S2,V1 replacement from something like Ebay or is that what Amazon and others are selling now? Just curious. I'm glad you got a replacement version as it is pretty acceptable. Be prepared for no drop off in quality from season one. That is a great package of stories with first rate production and acting. Enjoy!!

Steve L.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Paul Mavis's review at DVD Talk I am sorry to say is ludicrously off the mark in its dissing of "The Judgement". I won't doubt there could have been some improvements to the script to make the continuity better but the argument that things would have been better if there'd been NO finale like that is just silly IMO. For me, this series would be absolutely and I mean absolutely unwatchable if there had not been a last episode freeing Dr. Kimble. I can handle exploring the themes of earlier episodes precisely because I feel a measure of relief knowing that eventually Kimble will be cleared and Gerard will be forced to admit the truth at long last. I think Mavis also grossly fails to appreciate the great understated silence when Kimble and Gerard simply shake hands and that's it.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeoAmes

Seems par for the course as far as his reviews are concerned. ;)

I've always enjoyed Paul Mavis's reviews and think he's easily the best Classic TV on DVD reviewer on the net - bar none. I've yet to read his review of this set and may agree with Jack in this instance. I'll have to read it to know for sure. But even if I do disagree with Mr. Mavis about portions of his review on The Fugitive: Season 4, Volume 2, his overall body of work is superb and find it hard to imagine any vintage TV fan disagreeing.

Gary "Paul is as solid as they come in the dvd review field" O.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Paul Mavis' review isn't far off the mark. The series is tired by this time and The Judgment has more holes in it than Swiss cheese. There are moments in it I like, including the ending epilog, but it could have been better. And it's no secret that the producers felt their conclusion cost them millions in syndication and that they may not have done it if they had it to do over.

That being said, as a fan of the show, I'm glad they brought the show to its conclusion and I think that concluding the show helped make the series iconic. I think the story is O.K. at best, but it's better than no concluding story at all. If they had not exonerated Kimble at the end and just left it open ended, it would still be my favorite show, as the first three seasons would still be great, no matter how the series ended.

I always wished we could have had a TV movie a year later to see how Kimble reintegrated into normal everyday life. I always wondered who, of the people he'd met along the way, would have contacted him upon news of his exoneration. How many old flames would have come around to rekindle their romance and make things miserable for Jean Carlisle?

Steve Lecher

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
William Conrad's closing narration in the final epilogue of "The Judgment Part 2" is "Tuesday, September 5th..The day the running stopped" and not "Tuesday, August 29th..." as was originally aired in 1967. Too bad,but at least Peter Rugolo's haunting score in this climactic scene hasn't been supplanted by a Mark Heyes offering.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by stevelecher

Paul Mavis' review isn't far off the mark. The series is tired by this time and The Judgment has more holes in it than Swiss cheese. There are moments in it I like, including the ending epilog, but it could have been better. And it's no secret that the producers felt their conclusion cost them millions in syndication and that they may not have done it if they had it to do over.

I again agree, the story has problems. It would have been nice if for instance the important character to this story Lloyd Chandler had been someone introduced in a previous episode. But that said, give them credit for at least bringing back Diane Brewster (uncredited) as Helen Kimble for the flashback which was the kind of nod to continuity you seldom saw on TV back in those days.

Maybe it's me, but I still don't understand how bringing the show to conclusion could hurt it in syndication. From my standpoint, the opposite would be the thing that would hurt a show's rerun value because if the show remains open-ended, then you just get too self-conscious about the fact there was no resolution in the end.

Incidentally, I'm glad to hear that the closing words are "September 5th" because that's the version I've been used to hearing from the old World Vision VHS release that used that Canada print.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia

Joe:

Did you obtain S2,V1 replacement from something like Ebay or is that what Amazon and others are selling now? Just curious. I'm glad you got a replacement version as it is pretty acceptable. Be prepared for no drop off in quality from season one. That is a great package of stories with first rate production and acting. Enjoy!!

Steve L.

Steve:

What I meant by "[FONT= 'times new roman']My copy of S2 V1 is a “replacement version.” was that it is a "Mark Heyes music replacement version", as opposed to the original scoring. [/FONT]

[FONT= 'times new roman']Not that it was a disc "offered AS a replacement for Mark Heyes". [/FONT]

[FONT= 'times new roman']Scanning the rest of today's posts tells me I'd better STAY CLEAR OF THIS THREAD for a while, lest some inadvertent spoilers seep through. [/FONT]

[FONT= 'times new roman']Amazon shipped my S4V2 today, so I'll have it soon. My fault, for waiting on Best Buy. Never again. If it's not in their weekly circular, I'll assume it's not carried in-store and go directly to Amazon. [/FONT]

[FONT= 'times new roman']Now I know I'll have to "cheat" and skip to the final episode, if I have any intention of rejoining this fine thread. [/FONT]

[FONT= 'times new roman']Joe. [/FONT]

66KIMBLE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick T
Though the THE JUDGEMENT was not perfect, I feel Paul Mavis' DVD talk review was too harsh . .

The highlights for me (other than the tower scene) was in Part 1 when Gerard interrogates Johnson and Kimble's arrest by Gerard in Los Angeles among others.The two handcuffed together on the train going back to Stafford was a nice touch.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Let's all avoid spilling the beans with spoilers everyone. Joe, I wish there was a way I could send you the S2V1 set with better music. Let us know how you're getting through the discs you've bought.

Steve L.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Once again, I found an episode of Season 4 to be extremely relevant to today. I watched Wine Is A Traitor last night (and, am I missing something about the title? It doesn't make much sense to me), and found the depictions of anti-union and anti-immigrant sentiments - in a story set in the Southwest, no less - to be taken from today's headlines rather than those of 45 years ago. How little we've come, in those respects. A pretty good episode with a very strong supporting cast. Love seeing James Gregory, Roy Thinnes.

Should be getting S4V2 today via Amazon. Looking forward to completing the series.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia

Let's all avoid spilling the beans with spoilers everyone. Joe, I wish there was a way I could send you the S2V1 set with better music. Let us know how you're getting through the discs you've bought.

Steve L.

Steve:

Thanks for your concern over my seeing spoilers -- but don't let me inhibit the discussion for anyone. I can sniff-out spoilers by scanning a post, before reading it in detail. And, I'll probably hang-back, at least until I can "cheat" and view the finale out of order. I can always go back and re-read posts.

This thread is about S4V2, so everyone comment away to the degree you're comfortable -- and I'll continue enjoying THE FUGITIVE for the first time.

Joe.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
It's not just Joe. We're all supposed to be careful about spoilers on these threads as many people may watch S4V2 for the first time and don't want to read about details of episodes before they've seen them. That's why there's a spoiler icon for these posts. Thanks all!

Steve Lecher

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Tor1

PS: Both "Come Watch Me Die" and (as you and Gary suggested) "Search in a Windy City" from S1V2 were MAGNIFICENT!

Two more excellent Season 1 episodes, Joe. The scene I've been mentioning to you that I thought was so powerful in "Windy City" was...

of course the frantic search in the bus terminal, ending with Kimble finally spying the one-armed man on the bus. The first time I saw this it was absolutely riveting to me. I loved the way Raisch (Johnson) sold that scene so well with the shock/terror look when he saw that Kimble had seen him. For me it was one of the top 5 scenes in the entire series. Again, it may have not had the impact on you because you had already seen the Johnson in one or more of the Season 4 episodes prior to this, but I thought it was just a great, tension-filled scene.

Gary "glad you are finding all these episodes as entertaining as I have" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks