What's new

The Frighteners: Director's Cut - 11-29-05 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Universal Studios has announced The Frighteners: Director's Cut for release on November 29th.

The 123-minute laserdisc extended cut (adding twelve minutes of footage) will come with a new 2.35 anamorphic transfer and a Dolby Digital 5.1 track.

Bonus materials haven't been announced yet, but this has been announced as a single disc release. So there's probably little chance of including the full 4.5 hour documentary. Retail is $26.98

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I don't know anything about "The Frighteners" but they could do a DVD-18 (this is Universal, after all) and put the first hour or so on the movie side and put the remainder on side 2. Putting a 2-hour movie and a four and a half-hour doc on a DVD-18 is probably just barely possible.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
i can die happy knowing i spent the money i was saving to buy the sig. series laser on important things like food !

3 disc and the full rate dts track from the dts laser universal pretty please

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Maybe there will be a single-disc plain edition and a 3-disc Collector's Edition. One can dream.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
My guess would be that if they did include the Doc it would be in a heavilly truncated form. a la the "Jaws" 25th Anniversary Disc.

Chuck Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
OMG I can't believe that i'm actually reading this news. I had kind of given up hope that this would come out on dvd after Return of the King comes out but this makes perfect sense now seeing as how Peter Jackson had originally been working on King Kong following The Frighteners and this directors cut was the result of the studio shelving Kong at the time. Very exciting news and I can't wait.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
It's about time. I really hope this is done right with great packaging and the expansive supplemental material from the laserdisc.

Fabien Renelli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabien Renelli
Great news. I'm absolutely heading for it. Please PJ tell us you recorded a commentary track !

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well it never fails.

first it worked for the sting and now for frighteners.
i just bought a copy the other day.

any other movies i should buy a copy of so we get a better version out?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'll keep the LD, just in case. That 4 hour doc is ****ing gold. And the film is a good one. Made a little better with the added footage. Some nice gags :)

Thanks for the news,
Chuck

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Cool, I live in hope that the documentary will be on the reverse side of the disc.

I hope they include an option to view the original cut of the movie too.

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator
I hope the full documentary is included,i've been waiting to see it for a long time now.with this being a dvd-18 I think they should manage to get it on there,even if they have to split it between the 2 sides,i'll be a happy chappy.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Great news!! I REALLY hope they include the FULL documentary from the laserdisc. I have only seen clips of it and I hope they manage to include it. Maybe if there is enough interest on sites such as HTF, Universal will consider it. They did release the full Jaws documentary finally on the 30th Anniversary set, but this is a very long documentary and they might not think there is enough interest. Either way, I am glad the Director's Cut is finally coming. Maybe we'll get lucky and the documentary will be included.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Unlike some folks I don't mind DVD-18's in general, but a DVD-18 from Universal is a different story....they do not have a very good reliability record with that flavor of disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks