What's new

The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1 Viewer)

IanUngstad

Grip
The clue in this month's Criterion newsletter is for The Friends of Eddie Coyle. I assume the dvd will be announced in the next few months! Can't wait to see the film after hearing so many great things about it. I love the relationship Criterion and Paramount have going.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Yes, this is great news. I have been waiting to see this film for ages.

Maybe there is hope in Criterion releasing Looking for Mr Goodbar one day too.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
This is great news! Criterion does very well by these Paramount releases and I am always excited when a never released in any video form movie comes to DVD. Criterion has done 3 with Paramount- ACE IN THE HOLE; WHITE DOG and now COYLE (ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS won't count-it was on LD-but pretty rare)
FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE contains the first of the 70's Robert Mitchum performances that should have garnered oscar nominations -the other being FAREWELL MY LOVELY(now if Criterion could hook up with studio Canal.....)
What next for the ParTerion label? LEADBELLY? AMERICAN HOT WAX? THE OUTSIDER?

Charles H

Screenwriter
I wonder if Criterion could be taking over THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER:SE. That would explain the abrupt postponement. There are plenty of great Mitchum performances out there that have yet to be brought to dvd: GOING HOME, BLOOD ON THE MOON, THE WONDERFUL COUNTRY, THE LUSTY MEN, THE WRATH OF GOD.

IanUngstad

Grip

If....
Ace In the Hole
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Days of Heaven
The Naked Prey
The Furies
The Spy Who Came In From The Cold
White Dog
The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Still to come: Wedding March, Silent Sternburg, Face to Face, The Confession. There are probably even more on the horizon. Great relationship indeed

Eric Ten

Grip
Real Name
Eric Tengren
Great news, I have waited 12 years. this is my dvd Holy Grail. one of my favorite films. hope the extras are killer.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

Do you know whether 'Face To Face' is going to be the full TV version or the truncated theatrical version?

I was hoping Criterion might have licensed 'One Eyed Jacks' from Paramount, but it appears that it's not included in the licensing deal. Will we ever see a high quality release of this great film on DVD or BD I wonder?

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
In HTF threads on Criterion releases, someone usually posts the text/artwork associated with these Criterion clues (hint, hint).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

How would anyone know exactly what the licensing "deal" was? What gives you the impression ONE EYED JACKS isn't included in it? I know a bunch of you on HTF have inside information, but is yours "inside" or guesswork?

Just curious.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

The only clue is that I read some time ago on the internet that 'One Eyed Jacks' is actually owned by the Brando estate and not by Paramount. I have no way of knowing whether that is true, but it could explain how it's fallen into the public domain, since it seems unlikely that a major Hollywood studio would have allowed such a comparatively recent classic to go that way.

Also, I haven't seen any speculation (whether "informed" or otherwise) that 'One Eyed Jacks' is being worked on by Criterion.

If they are indeed planning to release it eventually, I'll be as delighted as anyone.

walter o

Supporting Actor

you might be right there. This indeed has a VERY valid copyright that was renewed in 1988, so it is NOT public dormain, yet NO ONE enforces it. If still with Paramount, there will be cease and desist happening ASAP, so you might be right that it is with Brando's estate, who does nothing.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I'd love Criterion to release Jonathan Demme's Citizen Band (Handle with Care). It is a Paramount title that has all but disappeared.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

I heartily second the call for CITIZEN'S BAND (aka HANDLE WITH CARE). It was on VHS, I can't recall under which title, and I think some music was changed for home video. If Marc Heuck is reading this, I'm sure he'll provide all the details.

walter o

Supporting Actor
It was on VHS as CITZEN BAND, and yes, some of the song was changed. They ran it on HBO as HANDLE WITH CARE, and those songs were intact.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks