What's new

The FOX Logo, why can it sound so different on different discs? (1 Viewer)

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Joel, with all respect, your posts are a bit difficult to read with that big font. The eye gets focused and accustomed to one size and style, whatever it is, and then your posts scroll up and the eye must recalibrate before and after. It's the kind of thing that contributes to eye fatigue and is slightly bothersome (although admittedly not in "the great scheme of things").

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member

Read around. Find out. It's not that hard. :)

I guess I should pepper everything I write with 30 exclamation points, SPL readings and pleas to put everything on DVD in Dead Dolby Six-Track Stereo or I'll puke in my cheerios or something, directly address people not reading the site (or even living anymore) and the posts would be more acceptable then. ;)

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Except in film criticism. Actually--wait. Insert Ebert joke here.

Didn't VHS basically win, aside from licensing issues and better distribution, because 80's consumers thought something so tiny as Beta automatically meant cheap and flimsy? This was back in the days of Ford Granada's and Chevrolet Monte Carlos. Yugos were sneered at. Beta was better, but it was smaller. It didnt' feel like you were holding a movie in your hand. VHS, with it's giant clamshells and pedestal like VCR's, that was a MOVIE MACHINE.

Of course now in 2006 if you can't fit a whole movie into a memory stick, something's gone wrong.

andySu

Senior HTF Member

Sten F

Point of fact depending which DVD regional disc it is, where the region 2 version lacks total output in the sound, dts sucks on DVD I have never been impressed with it’s presentation, except for (Laserdisc) other than that hail Dolby.

The introduction on The Day After Tomorrow on region 2 Dolby 5.1 rules ok!

andySu

Senior HTF Member

Robert

LOL

Do you have something personal about the (six-track Dolby stereo digital surround experience)?

Sten F

Second Unit
Honestly, you must be the only person on the planet that has that opinion. DTS beats Dolby Digital 90% of the times. It´s just a common fact. But hey, if you´re satsified with Dolby Digital fine with me.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah 9 times out of 10 my subwoofer is largely muted when playing a DD5.1 track, as opposed to DTS which has that loooow gutteral fealing.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
and if it hasnt already been mentioned I seem to remember a few FOX films that had no fanfare at all....just the 20th searchlights intro.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow! After reading this I sort of long for Will success spoil Rock
Hunter
on DVD. As far as I can see, it's not available.

SteveJKo

Second Unit

I tend to have the opposite situation on my system. The DTS track will often sound brighter and have more aggressive surrounds, yet the Dolby track will have mega bass that blows DTS out of the water.

I love this thread. It's great to learn the history of the worlds most famous movie fanfare.

Mikya

Grip
Unless I'm missing a joke, Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? was released a few weeks back in the Jayne Mansfield set. I haven't screened it yet but the discussion has piqued my interest as well.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Other than the short version and the Cinemascope extension version, I always thought they all sounded pretty much the same until True Lies, which, unless I'm mistaken, was the first movie to use Fox's new CGI intro. True Lies was the first version of the fanfare that I noticed sounded significantly different.

I did see Alien 3 at the theater (and was ultimately the only time I ever saw it), but I obviously wasn't paying any attention to the fanfare if it played like everyone says it did. Maybe I was paying too much attention to my date at the time.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Perhaps. I just did a quick search on DVD sites and it did
not come up. Perhaps it was never sold as a "single" and thus
not appearing in a search result.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
For some reason, I always thought it was True Lies. Unless someone else verifies this, I'll have to wait to check my DVDs since they are all still in a box after a recent move.

But Speed was released 2 months before True Lies.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm also just about certain that the new CGI Fox logo premiered
with Speed.

I am surprised someone remembered that too, as I was hoping
to make it a trivia question on this forum one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks