What's new

The Following Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I thought it had some legs, but having Poe as a muse seems kind of an obvious way to go, which ties back to what people were saying about the mediocrity. Regarding the popularity of this kind of fare, there's more to come with NBC's "Hannibal" up next (though there's apparently no premiere date yet).

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm going to pass, it looks well produced, has great talent, but the majority of what I watch is proceedurals and I'm getting a bit burned out on killingand violence I think, when hollywood turns a fairy tale like Hansel and Gretal into a balls to the wall killing fest it may be time to step back. I like the walking dead, but your right Zombie Fantasy violence is a different level from the realistic real world stuff on display here. Plus I think Purefoy should've gotten a better shake thanto star as a serial killer

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Johnny Angell said:
Really? Actual events won't effect what people want to watch? I think if a network had put out a series in 1964 about the Secret Service trying to locate and stop a would-be presidential assassin, it would have flopped. I think a series about terrorist attack released in 2002 would have faired poorly. There's such a thing as "hitting to close to home." I'm not saying this series is like that, I haven't seen it. Real life can and does effect what the public will watch.
well it was called 24 and it was a pretty big hit.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Hmm...it was okay I guess. A little too networky/procedural for me, but they did keep the suspense high. I like the idea of the main guy being in prison while this is all going on. To what Schan was saying, there are sure to be plenty of "moles" along the way. I called the nanny as one right away. They spent too much time on her for it not to mean something. I'll admit I didn't see the gay couple. I thought they would be dead.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I'm not sure yet; I didn't hate it, but we'll see in another few episodes. As far as the violence is concerned, that didn't bother me at all... what I find that they really need to tone down are the blatant, repeated mentions of Edgar Allan Poe, as if nobody had ever heard of any of his works before this. If they specifically refer to his pacemaker as his 'telltale heart' at any point, I might have to immediately turn it off in disgust. :D

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I enjoyed the pilot. Highly derivative, of course; it's Silence of the Copycats - but that didn't make it bad. I always have time for Bacon and Purefoy, and Kevin Williamson is a very good writer imho. I'm probably sticking with this show till the end. :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The pilot did very well in the ratings and the second half hour went up in ratings which is a very good sign: people weren't tuning out because of the violence. Let's see if it can sustain those numbers in the weeks ahead.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by PhilipG
I enjoyed the pilot. Highly derivative, of course; it's Silence of the Copycats - but that didn't make it bad. I always have time for Bacon and Purefoy, and Kevin Williamson is a very good writer imho. I'm probably sticking with this show till the end.
I don't think they are copy cats at all. More like Jim Jones cult members (thus the title). They are just taking direction from him through whatever means. Frankly, that's the part that is pretty creepy.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
This has "follower of the week" written all over it. I'll give it a few more, but the pilot was pretty standard police procedural with the catch being that it stars Kevin Bacon. It might end up surprising me, but when was the last time a network show did that?

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFR
This has "follower of the week" written all over it. I'll give it a few more, but the pilot was pretty standard police procedural with the catch being that it stars Kevin Bacon.
I got that vibe too, but the previews for next week seem to indicate this might not be the case. If it is a "follower of the week", I will lose interest quickly.
Originally Posted by MikeFR
It might end up surprising me, but when was the last time a network show did that?
For me, it was probably 'Arrested Development'.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
mattCR said:
I don't think they are copy cats at all.  More like Jim Jones cult members (thus the title). 
I was referring to the very end of the movie, Copycat, where
the imprisoned serial killer is grooming a follower. The difference is, in this series the killer has Internet!
:)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Was anyone else surprised when Maggie Grace's movie dad Bryan, who has a particular set of skills, didn't just show up and deal with Carroll. End of show. :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Patrick Sun said:
Was anyone else surprised when Maggie Grace's movie dad Bryan, who has a particular set of skills, didn't just show up and deal with Carroll. End of show. :)
Maybe there will be a third time...:rolleyes:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have to say that I'm not an advocate for murder, but I couldn't feel too bad for the girl killing such a horrendously judgmental, vapid mother. Again this week, the surprises weren't that much of a surprise, but it held my interest enough for me to stick around another week.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As a horror movie fan, I've a million masked killers but I have to say that the Poe mask is really great looking. It's like the Michael Myers mask where it captures the right blend of looking like a human and inhuman or dead at the same time.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
schan1269 said:
I wonder if Parisse's character was a student...
If she is, that is the moment I stop watching. I am so tired of the inside man plot. Its been done so often that it no longer is a surprise. I end up being distracted by waiting for the betrayal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks