What's new

The Fly (1958) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Curse was TERRIBLE , dull and lethargic...I enjoyed Return of the Fly way better - it worked for me anyway...
I'm with a few others here in thinking that Curse is a very good & effective little film (apart from having er...no fly in it!), nice looking DVD. I can't remember anything about Return. A box of the three of them would have been nice. And I don't know why Fox doesn't use the original film poster art for this release. For 50's movies I don't think you can go wrong using the film poster on the Blu-ray box.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'm not noticing directional dialog..Beautiful picture, though.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
In the commentary, David Hedison said the script for The Return of the Fly was bad and he never would have done it had it been offered to him. Spies and horror do not mix. Plus the fly head looks like a cheap mardi gras mask that looks like it's ready to fall off at any minute. All together, a very bad film.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
FrancisP said:
In the commentary, David Hedison said the script for The Return of the Fly was bad and he never would have done it had it been offered to him. Spies and horror do not mix. Plus the fly head looks like a cheap mardi gras mask that looks like it's ready to fall off at any minute. All together, a very bad film.
This makes me wonder how Hedison could have done a sequel since he was thoroughly dead twice in The Fly. I know, I know, the magic of Hollywood script writing. :)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
"Return of the Fly" is the story of Hedison's now-grown son (played by child actor Charles Herbert in the original film). Unless he was initially thought of to play the grown son - which would have confused audiences, I'm sure.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I read where the BD of "The Blob wasn't worth a double dip because of the great work Criterion did on the DVD. Could anyone that owns the DVD (upscaled to 1080i) compare it to the BD thru a PJ onto a large screen?

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
John Sparks said:
I read where the BD of "The Blob wasn't worth a double dip because of the great work Criterion did on the DVD. Could anyone that owns the DVD (upscaled to 1080i) compare it to the BD thru a PJ onto a large screen?
I don 't have the DVD, but The Blob BD looks quite nice on my 106" screen.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
What Hedison said was that the script was so bad that if it had been offered to him, he would have turned it down. Clearly Hedison did not think much of Return of the Fly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks