What's new

The Fly (1958) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I went through foxconnect as well. Mine shipped Thursday. The difference is less than $2 to get it early.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
2288611.jpg

Just to avoid this cover art I am waiting until September.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I received my copy from FoxConnect yesterday and watched it last night. I thought the transfer was very good. Great film.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Got it and watched it on Monday. Very happy with it too. Might be some occasional registration problems, if it was 3-strip -- but someone like Robert Harris would know (not me).

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I like the cover art of the Comic Con version. My copy showed up today.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
bgart13 said:
Got it and watched it on Monday. Very happy with it too. Might be some occasional registration problems, if it was 3-strip -- but someone like Robert Harris would know (not me).
Being made in 1958, it wouldn't be 3-strip. Perhaps they needed to restore the film, or portions of it, from the B&W separations. Then there might be some registration problems. I've only spot checked it on a 42-inch LCD. The color and contrast looked very good. I hope to watch it projected on my 120" 2.35 screen soon.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I remember seeing it at a sci-fi festival, where the audience was already in a goofy/punchy mood--
And at the post-climax end of the film, as
Price and his partner spend an inordinate amount of screentime working out every last detail on how to explain Hedison's death by blaming it on the factory janitor, at the end of the scene, the audience applauded. ("Yay, we did it, we framed some poor innocent shlub!") :P

Wasn't this originally going to be part of a trilogy set, though, with Return of and the dreary British made-for-TV so-called Curse of?

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
classicmovieguy said:
Was this another Fox title for which the original elements were junked?
I don't know about that, but It was probably shot on the problematic 1955-60 Eastman 5248 camera film RAH has spoken about before. From what I've seen of the new BD, it looks fine to me.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Ejanss said:
I remember seeing it at a sci-fi festival, where the audience was already in a goofy/punchy mood--And at the post-climax end of the film, as
Price and his partner spend an inordinate amount of screentime working out every last detail on how to explain Hedison's death by blaming it on the factory janitor, at the end of the scene, the audience applauded. ("Yay, we did it, we framed some poor innocent shlub!") :P
Wasn't this originally going to be part of a trilogy set, though, with Return of and the dreary British made-for-TV so-called Curse of?
I don't think a trilogy set was announced for Blu, a DVD set came out a few years ago. Curse of the Fly wasn't a made for TV film, it's weird and disturbing and a heck of a lot better than Return of the Fly.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Return of the Fly was a dopey film. Spies and horror films don't mix for me. Curse of the Fly was much better and tried something different.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Curse was TERRIBLE , dull and lethargic...I enjoyed Return of the Fly way better - it worked for me anyway...

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I watched Return of the Fly last week and really enjoyed seeing it again. The DVD had excellent picture quality and I am disappointed that it is not to be released on blu-ray as part of a 'Fly' package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks