What's new

The Flash - season 2 (1 Viewer)

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Jason_V said:
So, let's just assume this is the real world and not a television show, okay? It's better and more efficient to "lock them up and throw away the key" than it is to rehabilitate them? Among other problems, what happens when you run out of space because THAT will happen. That's a matter of logistics.

Murder and/or death is never a solution we need to default to, but that's what it sounds like you want.

Sorry, but I'm not allowed around here to discuss this more without having the Moderator Police out in force due to their "TOS" rules. I have stated my position clearly within the confines of the show and that's all I can without getting into politics and personal views.

As to the show, they never delved into this rubbish in the comics so I really could give a flying fig less about the BAD guys.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Hmmm...

I haven't seen Reaper but I don't think he's a very good Director. I've found most of his movies to be pretty bad. He's an engaging speaker, he seems to know his Geek stuff really well and is very passionate about it. Maybe he'll be okay if he sticks to the format of the show.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Adam Lenhardt said:
To be fair, Dave, the whole scheme was the brainchild of an amoral sociopath from the 22nd century. :)

Steve_Pannell said:
I know they can't show everything but are they even trying to do anything to "cure" these people? They never seem to even mention it.

Jeffery_H said:
"Cure"? ...

I say lock them up and throw away the key! They're BAD guys period ...

As Adam reminded me, Barry and company are flying by the seat of their pants working in the after math of an evil genius was wasn't concerned meta-humans per se. I can see that even if the heroes of Central City would like a better meta-human justice or prison system...they're a little busy right now.

I expect we can agree that a cure -- a means to remove their powers -- is desired regardless of your politics. Rehabilitation and jailing of normal humans is certain easier and less dangerous than of meta-humans.

I don't remember a cure being sought so far. But if it hasn't been, I wouldn't be surprised if it emerges as a plot point eventually. The ability to remove powers and the twist of that turned against the hero are tropes.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I liked the episode a lot and that final scene was unexpected but great.

Yeah, I'm not liking this version of Wally so far. Wally from the comics and cartoons was more outgoing and funny.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I enjoyed the secondary character stuff: Joe was an excellent portrayal of grace and patience. Harrison Wells' skulking and sulking about in the background remains compelling.

I am not getting Barry's reluctance, and the artificial drama derived, in not telling Spivok his identity. On this show, everyone already knows. They're all at risk. Why not tell her too? I liked her character, and the actress and Grant Gustin have chemistry. But the storyline is faltering.

And the Turtle. Aaron Douglas was fantastic. I wish we could have more of him. But the conflict was a return to season 1 silliness of obviously bad choices to force drama. Also, again, a villain where a sniper would be an easier and better choice than a speedster. Or a speedster who could run at someone without first announcing his presence, so as to take them by surprise with his super-perception velocity.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed the Turtle episode, although Aaron Douglas should have been given more to do. Did Wells kill him at the end? I wasn't sure.

It would be a huge mistake to let Shantel VanSanten go off to another city. She brings a lot to the show, not least of which is joy. Yes, Barry should have told her and they can and should remedy that ASAP. VanSanten was great in the scene where she told Barry they've been having fun and she wants more.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Flash and company are completely stymied for how to stop Zoom...but they've got technology that apparently nullifies and contains *any* meta power, used for their jail cells. Why is this not being brought to bear in the fight against Zoom? Or is this related to the thingy that they shot Zoom with, that didn't slow him at all?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I still think this show's conception of time travel is a complete mess. I understand in theory how a remnant of the Reverse Flash would need to exist to preserve the chain of events from the murder of Barry's mother to Eddie sacrificing himself. But the attempt to River Song the character in this episode fell flat because the Reverse Flash clearly had extensive memories of the Flash from the original timeline, where Barry became the Flash much later in life. The attempt to recon the time travel into a circular Terminator-esque loop just doesn't fit which what we'd been shown previously.

On the other hand, the personal stuff played well. I loved the reconciliation screen between Francine and Iris. I enjoyed the tension inherent in the "Parent Trap"-esque scenario of two full siblings who each grew up with full knowledge of the parent that raised them and complete ignorance of the parent that didn't. They're both mourning the impending death of their mom, but Francine means completely different things to each of them.

I can understand the frustration with Wally, but I would have been frustrated if he'd come out of the gate the heroic man who would be the Flash. It would shortchange Joe's contributions as a father in Iris and Barry's lives, and undercut the weight of his absence in Wally's life.

I really like Jay and Caitlin together. I like how adult their relationship is.

And I was happy that Ms. Spivot was vindicated before she exited stage left. That train scene was really nicely executed.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
The RF stuff felt like filler by the end, it felt kind of pointless. I was thinking he was going to be from Earth 2, not sure how RF could exist in any form without Eddie being alive. The rest of the episode was good.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Another really good episode, but there were a couple of moments that strained credibility. When Patty comes to Barry and says "tell me you're the Flash and I'll stay," and he doesn't, it doesn't ring true, We watched Barry struggle with telling her for several episodes and he at one point was going to, so now that she figured it out, he won't admit it? I realize he told Joe he didn't want to place her in danger, but she already knows. It just seemed implausible to me. I hope Shantel Vansanten isn't off the show now, because she really brought something to it - an optimism and a hope that seemed missing in all the broken people in the main cast.

The stuff about the Reverse Flash's origin was a bit confusing too; I will have to watch it again to fully grasp it.

Also, I don't know who Hunter Zolomon is (a comic book character?) but EW seems to think it's a big clue. Possible spoilers in the link.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/26/flash-hunter-zolomon-zoom-spoilers

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Time Travel: I think it's incoherent. But I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt in case some sense is made of it.

Wally: What Matt said.

Spivek: I really like this actress and her performance on the The Flash. It's a bad decision to remove her, if it's a writing decision and permanent. Jettison Iris if you need to maintain the cast count. In the context of six or seven people (Wally?) just in Central City knowing Barry's identity, two of them family, I haven't liked nor bought into Barry's reluctance to tell Spivek his identity. That said, I believed the emotional story telling this episode.

Reverse Flash: I was expecting something more. I thought the Tachyon accelerator might be a detail to how Barry accelerates to defeat Zoom.

Harrison Wells #2: Every scene is tense, not knowing his motivations. I hope there's a whole multiverse replete with alternate Tom Cavanaugh's :)

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
When it comes to Time Travel, I don't over think it, I just go with the flow.

That way I find the episode or movie more enjoyable.

Return of the Reverse-Flash was handle well. Plus good to see Tina McGee again.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was very glad that Dr. Wells owned up to what he was doing, and that the team eventually forgave him so they could work together to thwart their nemesis.

How old is Wally supposed to be on the show? Iris keeps talking like he's not grown and that Joe can tell him what to do. Is he supposed to be a high school student or something?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Not reading anything in this thread but wanted to pop in and say I DEVOURED season 1 on netflix as fast as I could once I started, then went looking to see if I could catch up on S2, halfway in. As far as I can tell my Cable Co only has the last 5 episodes broadcast available and iTunes wants $50 for the season pass. Wraaaaaa!!!!!!!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was very glad that Dr. Wells owned up to what he was doing, and that the team eventually forgave him so they could work together to thwart their nemesis.
Me too. That was the most interesting part of the episode for me; the culmination of this emotionally stunted version of Wells, this man who'd always had a single-minded focus on his work and on his daughter, being changed by the experience of working with this group of selfless individuals. And ultimately, reaching a point where he could no longer accept the suffering that was a consequence of his decision making. That's huge. That frees the character from the burden of being the show's antagonist and puts him on the path to true growth.

How old is Wally supposed to be on the show? Iris keeps talking like he's not grown and that Joe can tell him what to do. Is he supposed to be a high school student or something?
Based on the timeline of Francine having been gone for nearly twenty years, my interpretation was 18-19, a recent high school graduate. So a handful of years younger than Iris and Barry, but still a grown adult.

I think Joe was making the point to her that you were: That he needs to pull a foundation of trust first; only once Wally respects his opinion, will he be able to do anything that matters. One of the best things about this show is what a good father Joe is to Iris and now Wally, and what a great father figure he's been to Barry. I was struck at some point during this episode by the idea that the West family is the central pivot of this show. And that stood out to me, because the show usually isn't built around the family of supporting characters. But then I realized that the Allen family was decimated when Barry was very young, and as great as John Wesley Shipp is as Henry Allen, he's just a shard of that old wreckage. When Henry got freed, Barry didn't get his family back. Because his family isn't the family that was destroyed; his family is the family that took him in in the aftermath. This season is killing it with the explorations of the familial bonds between Joe, Iris, Barry and Wally.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks