What's new

The Final Countdown SE due 3/30 (1 Viewer)

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
I watched this tonight and must say I was impressed. Thought it looked great and really enjoyed seeing the movie after so long. It was worth the wait for such a nice transfer.
Later
Jim

BillGo

Stunt Coordinator
THE DIGITAL BITS site has a very favorable review of the Blue Underground 2-disc limited edition of THE FINAL COUNTDOWN. I picked it up today at Best Buy for $16.99 although I've seen it on the web for less than $13.

Blue Underground did a great job and it's well worth buying, especially if you're a fan of the film.

The packaging is unique; it's in a 2-disc thin Amaray type keepcase, except that it's transluscent. There is a removable hologram insert that duplicates the front of the cover insert except that the aircraft carrier disappears and reappears as you change the angle for viewing. Also, the chapter stops are printed on the back of the insert so they are perfectly visable when you open the case. All in all, very cool.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
my library feels so much better, now that I have this on the shelf. last time I saw it was during it's theatrical run. this set looks great and the transfer is awesome! this is why I own every BU title that comes out. they not only nail my taste right on the head...but BU cares about the film. what a concept. I'm proud to own them all.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I remember growing up watching this in pan and scan on TV so many times. One of my favorite films growing up, and its on its way right now, hopefully will be here tomorrow. :)

Can anyone post some pics of the packaging and front and back cover art, or perhaps a few pics of the film itself? ;)

Christopher_Ham

Stunt Coordinator
Just picked this movie up, and I won't get to watch it until tomorrow, Damn!!! I love this flick and hope it is done well. Anybody had a chance to try out the DTS Vs. DD. Which was better?, any difference? I suspect it is the same mix and very little difference, but, I could be wrong. Well, I hope I am wrong, I love a good DTS mix, it sounds so much more open and realistic.

H

Hank

I received mine yesterday and scanned through some of it. The sound is very good in DTS (did not check out the DD) for a early 80's movie. The opening with the F-14 taking off has a decent amount of bass. Another cool scene was when the F-14's fly over Sen. Chapmans yaht. It sounds way different from the P&S VHS and TV versions I have seen. I'm going to fire this one up tonight.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I picked this up last evening and rushed home to watch it. Finally - after all these years - I got to actually SEE the whole movie - not that pan&scan crap that we've had to endure for so long.

What a treat. Great flick, nicely packaged and transferred. Good DD 5.1 track.

Originally I'd ordered and paid for the standard edition. When I got to the store, the newish clerk pulled out the 2-disc edition and was confused about what to do. The 'senior' clerk helped him out, asking me if I wanted the 2-disc edition or the single disk edition. I asked about the price difference - was told about $3 - and I said I had no problem upgrading for $3. So I got the one with the cool 3-D cover and second disc.

I haven't watched any of the extras yet.

Harry

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The cover on the 2-disc SE is incredibly cool. Blue Underground really knocked this packaging out of the park.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I went through this last night. The lettering on the opening credits looked a bit soft and blurry but otherwise a great transfer.

The audio commentary was nothing much alas. The key problem is that the director of photography was brought in so late in the process that he wasn't well versed on the story or other aspects of the production. Thus, we get loads of stuff on what he's expert about, lining up shots etc. life aboard the Nimitz, but next to nothing about what for me is always the more important kind of behind the scenes stuff (amusingly, a couple times he calls James Farentino "Tarantino" before getting corrected). They touch briefly on the twist of the ending, but I would have been more interested by a discussion on whether this twist was in the script from the start, and what kind of discussions were made on how to deal with the many contradictary ramifications of time travel.

I noticed that Trailer #1 has footage that didn't make the final cut of the film, in the scene between Sheen and Douglas on the bridge just before the storm overtakes them again.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

I talked to Blue Underground founder Bill Lustig for my article about the DVD. Bill said he had hoped to include Martin Sheen on the DVD, either in an interview or on the commentary, but scheduling problems prevented the actor's participation. Sheen would have been good for filling in some of the gaps you mention.

It's amazing this movie ever got released on DVD. As Lustig said, "The adventure of clearing the rights is an incredible story involving the FBI, forged documents, born-again Christians and death threats."

Lustig ended up buying the video/DVD rights to the movie from Mel Gibson's company Icon Productions!

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The difference between this version & the PFE version is like night & day! Too bad the commentary could have been better. The saga of this film & PFE would be hard to believe if it were not really true. :)

Christopher_Ham

Stunt Coordinator
I found that the surround is used effectively on this disc, but it is a bit harsh at times, even with THX Ultra 2 engaged. They could have made it a little warmer.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Jeff, there wasn't a voiceover. I'm curious, what was said in the voiceover?

I bought this today and I am very happy and impressed with the transfer. 95% of the picutre was great. I have only seen this movie on television so it was P&S and full of commercials. What a great thing to see this on my projected screen in its OAR and no breaks! God, I can't believe how old this movie is, what a great job by BU. I only listened to the DTS ES Discrete track, but it was very good.

Watching the great job on this, I wish it were possible for BU to a re-transfer of Top Gun!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as another person who owes a debt of gratitude to Blue Underground for the fantastic treatment of this great movie! Just had a chance to watch it: sure the pic isn't reference quality, and the remastered sound can be a bit harsh, but considering this is more of a cult title that has never been well kept (heck we couldn't even figure out who owned the rights to it a few years back), this was a job well done! :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

SvenS

Second Unit
Good Lord! You really are digging for anything to pick apart on this DVD aren't you. You are the first person I have ever heard who critiques the lettering on the opening credits!

Overall the video transfer was very good with a few of the inside scenes displaying a out of focus look around the edges of the screen. Other then that I am so very pleased with Blue Undergrounds treatment of this fine film! I think those of us who appreciate BU's work should not only let them know how we feel but be sure to get as many people to buy their DVD as possible so they continue picking up these types of films and putting out quality DVD's of them.

Below is a copy of what I sent to PFE on the Contact Us link:

Having just watched the legitimate release of The Final Countdown (and seeing the how outstanding the quality was by The Blue Underground) I had to write this to say what a sleazy outfit you truly are! To try and pull off a public bootlegging scam and doing so with the WORST looking DVD I have ever laid eyes on is a disgrace! It's obvious you tried to sell your bootleg DVD's in hopes the real rights owners would no come forward. Laughingly, you try to present your company as a wholesome, family oriented one, yet you so publically rip-off film fans with that garbage VHS tranfered to DVD release and then have the nerve to try to threaten fans who rip you publically on Internet DVD forums!

From this day forth I will be as vocal in every media form, I can, to be sure people are aware of the dishonest way you operate! My only hope is your company will die a quick death so other in the future will not be ripped-off.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

I would think that has to do with the way the cameras had to be used in tight quarters, not anything to do with the video transfer.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I had trouble playing this on my Toshiba SD-3008. At about 34:45 the video freezes and will not resume. I can chapter skip to the next chapter, and work my way back to 35:15 and continue. Anything between 34:45 and 35:15 is unplayable.

There is no visible surface damage, and the disc plays fine on my ancient 2gen Toshiba, as well as my computer.

Anyone else have trouble?

I'm going to swap it today... but I often find that this type of problem is persistent with new copies.

Regardless, it is an impressive outing from Blue Underground.

-Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks