What's new

The Final Countdown SE due 3/30 (1 Viewer)

Brian E

Screenwriter
Everything I've heard about these guys leads me to believe it'll be a quality release. Just pre ordered it from Deep Discount.

Richard Ringenbach

Stunt Coordinator
How is Deep Discount DVD to deal with? Do they ship the movie so you get it on the release day or do you have to wait for them to ship it on the release date like Amazon.com?
Thank you!
Richard A. Ringenbach

Christian P

Stunt Coordinator

Cool. Thanks a lot! :)

The special features of disc 2 don't sound too exciting right now. I'll wait for the cover art to see what that lenticular cover looks like.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Richard-DDD is so-so -sometimes you will get items on the release date or a day after-other times ive waited a full week OR MORE.
They ship book rate, for free, which explains the delays.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Considering how long we've waited for a good release of this, and DDD's low price, I can stand an extra week or two, if it takes that.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I'm excited about this film finally getting a decent release - and hope that it is a worthy DVD. I first stumbled upon this film, as many did, on cable TV in the '80s. When I dove into the LaserDisc format back around 1989-90 or so, this title had already been issued in a pan'n'scan format, and was only available to me as a rental. It's a VHS dub of that rental that I've relied in the intervening years to satisfy my desire to see THE FINAL COUNTDOWN.

I'm looking forward to the widescreen, surround sound experience with this film, one of my favorites in the time-travel genre.

Harry

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
I'm dating myself here...

I saw this in the theaters when it came out.

Loved it then and I can't wait until it finally, hopefully, comes out on DVD.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
"High-Def Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1 and Full Screen Transfers." Nice try. That ain't high-def.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

It's sloppy wording (and I'm not sure where JoshB got the specs from so we'd know who wrote it), but the point is that the DVD is derived from a new high-def transfer.

DJ

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Yes I did screw up on that and forgot to reword it. My bad. I will remember to correct my self in the future and make sure that the specs make sense.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Richard Ringenbach... I have been dealing with Deep Discount DVD (DDD) for years and in their early life had some issues stocking enough or getting studios to ship to them on time. Those issues have since been resolved as they've become one of the leading online dealers and yes, they will ship so you get it by street date.

I have never heard of Blue Underground but the studio name lends one to believe that their usual fare is not mainstream, which is what I usually stick with. But then again I never heard of KINO and they did a fantastic job with Metropolis. ANY offering from a studio outside of those which have released it so far has to be a MAJOR improvement! The others, along with their distributors, were jokes. I have already preordered mine too and never wasted my money buying the others.

Eric

SvenS

Second Unit
I am VERY anxiously waiting for a review from a reviewer who gets the DVD in advanced! If it turns out there will be no advanced DVD releases to critics then I fear we are going to get a sub-par DVD! A title like this (if it is done as nicely as they say it is) should most definately be released early to reviewers who (if it is a nice DVD) will give them plenty of advanced PR which will drive a lot of people who want a correctly done DVD of this film!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I don't think there will be any advanced reviews of this. Blue Underground don't seem to send out screeners. There weren't any advanced reviews of the 3 Larry Cohen DVDs, for example.

It seems to me that advanced screeners, by and large, come from the Major Studios. Criterion issue screeners well ahead of time, of course.

I'm sure Blue Underground will have done a great job with this.

I'll probably have a copy of this perhaps two weeks before you folks in the U.S. as there is a site in the UK that gets pre-releases VERY early. So I'll post a review as soon as I get the disc.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

listen to Gordon.
BU is a first class operation, in fact i would put them ahead of MGM and CTS at this point in terms of quality of presentation.
i'm confident they will put out the best looking/sounding disc of this movie that they can.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Has anyone been able to pre-screen this one yet? Since we're less than a month away I was wondering, as I still remain a little leery of pre-ordering, at least until I get confirmation from some of the reliable HTF'ers as to its quality.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

On the contrary, Blue Underground often sends out its titles up to a month before release. I got my copy of The Final Countdown LE on Friday, for example. I haven't had a chance to actually watch it, and might not for a while, but the packaging looks impressive. The LE has a lenticular cover in which the aircraft carrier disappears quite convincingly.

But to reiterate what Paul said, if it's from Blue Undergound, the presentation will be as good as it possibly can.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Blue Underground is simply fantastic. They're legit and put a lot of effort into there releases. They've also worked their special magic for some of the majors. They've produced special features for:
MGM (The Vampire Lovers, Countess Dracula)
Paramount (Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter, Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell)
and just about everything for Anchor Bay.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

BU has also produced (or, as the case may be, at least attempted to) produce the extras for some of Warner's Hammer discs.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks