What's new

The films of Samuel Fuller (1 Viewer)

Finally we have a special edition of The Big Red One. However, several Samuel fuller films should get the dvd treatment. Among them are:

Hell and High Water
Steel Helmet
Merrill's Marauders
Underworld USA
Verboten

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a more complete list of the films we are still missing minus the ones announced for R1.
I Shot Jesse James 1949-Lippert Productions*
The Baron of Arizona 1950-Lippert Productions*
The Steel Helmet 1950-Lippert Productions*
Fixed Bayonets 1951-20th Century Fox
Park Row 1951-Sony/MGM/UA
Hell and High Water 1954-20th Century Fox
Run of the Arrow 1957-Warner Bros.
China Gate 1957-20th Century Fox
Verboten 1958-Globe Enterprises (possibly Columbia)
The Crimson Kimono 1959-Columbia
Underworld U.S.A. 1960-Columbia
Merrill's Marauders 1961-Warner Bros.
White Dog 1982-Paramount
Les Voleurs de la Nuit 1984-Parafrance Films

These are the films announced for release
House of Bamboo 1955-20th Century Fox release date 6/7/05
Forty Guns 1957-20th Century Fox release date 5/24/05
Dead Pigeon on Beetoven Street 1974-Fantoma release date to be announced

I am a huge fan of Fuller's films, and I am very excited in the renewed interest in his work. Many of the films announced have never been released on video even in the US, making it difficult to find his films (and often the copies I have found have been in unfortunate condition).
I feel that quite a few of these films have a decent chance of a release, considering the new interest (not to mention the 'old' interest), but the films I am most concerned with, are pictures like Park Row(a personal favorite) that are more obscure, and do not have a built in marketability, that say a Noir, Western or War film would bring with it. Not to mention that Park Row is currently in the middle of the Sony acquisition of the MGM/UA properties and surely not going to be a high priority for quite a while during the reorganization. But,if enough people show an interest in buying Fuller's Films possibly Sony could release the Fuller films they already own and market them together. I'm sure this is unlikely, but I can always hope.

* I have heard rumor that Warner Bros. has the current rights to these films but I have been unable to confirm this yet.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I would love to get a copy of White Dog on DVD. Are you hearing me, Paramount?

Dorian Gray

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, we do need more Samuel Fuller.
And yes, White Dog should already be out, as it is the best film AGAINST racism ever.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Anyone in the Los Angeles area should know that the Egyptian Theater/American Cinematheque is showing WHITE DOG this Friday night at 7:30 as part of their "Never On Home Video" series. I'm there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks