What's new

The Fifth Element SE (CONSOLIDATED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

I'm confused. 2.40:1 would be even more cut off from the top and bottom, not less. He says you can see more on the top and bottom...so maybe he means the new transfer is more like 2.3:1?

However it is, I am glad from his description of the scenes that you can see more on the top and bottom.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
If that link is it, I must be blind because I didn't see it.

In theory the picture COULD be wider at 2.4:1 and not lose any information vertically, if the new Super 35 transfer is zoomed out compared to the old one. Meaning there would be more picture information on the sides as well. The picture would look better too, because it wouldn't be as blown-up as the old one.

I really want to find the truth here. It and the new Leon are now up at MySony.com for $16. Register some DVD's. If you pick up 3 titles, you can use a $10 coupon that you get for every 10 you register and use it on a $50 purchase. Free shipping too.

Gabriela Mendez

Stunt Coordinator
Saw this last night. Wow! Instead of crying out for a new format, studios should focus on making quality transfers such as this one. Saw it at 1080i with my zenith 318 and I assume HD would be better, but until a comparison can be made, would image quality be similar or close to HD with transfers like this one?

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
No triple dipping for me, as this movie has finally been placed in the "only when I get something new for my HT" section of DVDs. And having seen it in HD, the DVD just seems a little lacking now, like after I watched Spiderman in HD last year. Blu Ray? Hmmmm. Maybe triple dipping is somewhere in the future for me.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I would expect that everyone who's read the review thread would know exactly which features are 16:9 and which aren't. ;)

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator
The "review" is on page 82 of the Real Reference thread at avsforum . com /avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=358365&perpage=20&pagenumber=82 (take spaces out) -- look for post #1636

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Gee, that review makes it sound like the color saturation is quite different too.

Not sure I like the sound of that.

Would be nice to know what the true intent was in regards to framing and colors.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
a few more hd posts since i have had more time on my hands.
It still holds up well the colour is lacking tho can do some requests if any one wants a particular scene compared.
superbit on left wm9 hd on right

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
I just bought this from Best Buy in Canada, and the silkscreen printing is actually shifted up towards the left!! So basically a half centimeter (quarter inch) of silver is showing!

Would this be a bad thing (ie. playback issues), thus necessitating a return to the store??

I'll probably take it back anyway on the premise that it makes me nervous...

Check it out:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
That shouldn't affect playback. The actual data is on the bottom side of the disc.

The silkscreening on my disc is slightly off-center as well, but not as much as yours.

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
Hmmm, this disc had a rough production run I guess!

I was just thinking -- unevenly weighted discs are generally bad for players. Might this be rough on the motor, even though this disc will only spin for about two hours? I don't imagine a silkscreen weighs much, but still....

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I once had an unevenly weighted CD-ROM come with a PC game of mine. It would create this EXTREMELY loud buzzing or grinding sound from the drive. I certainly would have never kept it and used it in the drive for any extended period of time.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
The debate is slowly coninuing at AVS Forum, regarding the framing differences between the SB and the new deluxe edition SB.

Someone has posted a handful of caps that show no difference whatsoever, while the original poster maintains there is a stark difference, but hasn't posted any proof.

My question now, is: Is there a chance there were multiple runs of the original SB? First, one that had framing issues and a few audio pops that were silently corrected in later pressings? In addition to citing framing differences it was also said there were audio pops, though others have not conceded to either existing in the original SB. Strange.

Steven.W.T

Stunt Coordinator
I'm really tempted to get this disk! I have the first R1 release of the movie. I didnt get the SB version. Now with this I am tempted. GAH! I've never seen a SB version of a movie before and I wanna check it out on my Hitachi. And the special features! I think I will wait for a HD version of the disk though. I know Sony is going to triple dip this movie. Oh well, we'll see. Maybe I'll see a good deal on it. If not hopefully Netflix will have it.

Gary Burdick

Stunt Coordinator
This is considerably better than the original release. Also, Netflix generally only carries the first edition of a dvd.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

The dude's a crackpot. I can't say if there were multiple runs, but if there was a problem with the first run, I'd have that concern on my SB DVD. I got it as a screener, so it was one of the earliest copies. Same framing, no pops.

Gary Burdick

Stunt Coordinator
It's also the same guy claiming Leon is the same superbit transfer with the same defective soundtrack. Just an FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks