What's new

The Exorcist on Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Guess you didn't get the memo on "Amadeus"!
No original version.
EE & DNR.
Do you want "TE" too end up like that?

(lossless & book format would be COOL tho!)

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
I think he was acknowledging that Amadeus was a substandard release, and was implying that the reason why was because Warner was not involved in the mastering. Amadeus is owned and controlled by the Saul Zaentz company. Warner just packages and sells what Zaentz gives them.

zackscott5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Zack Scott

Thanks, Kyle for clearing that up for me when I was at work ;)

Just for the record, I was post # 3 on Robert Harris' post "A few words about...Amadeus".

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

Friedkin first oversaturated the color, de-focusing it, and then reverted it back to black-and-white and combined the two images.
The results can be seen here. The caps don't show the bleeding anything red in the picture does. But it doesn't look very good, I must say, from these caps.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
What do you mean? That's not blood on the back of his left boot & lipstick on his collar?
Really tho, this could be badd; just want too see a frame from the original B4 I go bonkers over "seeing red"!

zackscott5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Zack Scott
When you think about it, Freidken had already revisited the exorcist when he did TVYNS. SO I don't think we have to worry about him futzing with the color like he did with The French Connection.

I for one have not seen the new version of The French Connection but I will eventually. I don't like to judge something from screen caps because...well...they don't really do the picture justice. I want to see it with my own two eyes on my own Theatre setup before I judge.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Actually, no I'm sure he will probably remaster the film based on this "new" system. He just started using it for Boys in the Band and The French Connection. And the Exorcist TVYNS was actually done before the DVD transfer of TFC, so I'm sure he'll revisit it for blu-ray.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
In a review for TVYNS, someone commented that the color timing was changed in the Exorcism scenes to have a more blueish cast compared to the original version.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Jeff Wells has linked to a podcast interview with Friedkin over at Hollywood Elsewhere.

Full Of It :: Hollywood Elsewhere

It's a long interview and the interviewer has a tendency to jump in when he's not welcome and stay silent when he should be speaking up, but the most frustrating thing about the interview is that Friedkin doesn't even seem to regard his new color timings as revisions, instead blaming the unrefined, inconsistent printing processes of the time as imposing the look we've all gotten used to. He did, however, seem pretty happy with the way The Exorcist currently looks on DVD, but flatly stated that the Blu-ray will look even better, "the best it ever has."

He does say that Warner asked him which cut of The Exorcist he'd prefer to see on Blu if forced to choose, and he chose TVYNS, though George Feltenstein told him they'd try to put both cuts out. Friedkin didn't seem to have a problem with that. He wasn't sure, however, if this was still the plan given the current economic situation.

He also mentions that he was all set to start work on a Blu-ray of Sorcerer, but this has been held up due to the economy.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Ha, ha! No sale Friedken WB.
Glad I got the "original" out of a used sale bin.
SD for me on this title (and I'm not even an SD fan; so I'm disappointed I wont get too spend $$$ on a HD/lossless "TE").

Again, I'd buy it: "TVYNS" on BD...
if it had an unfutzed w/version w/lossless.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Kyle_D ">[/url]

Jeff Wells has linked to a podcast interview with Friedkin over at Hollywood Elsewhere.

He does say that Warner asked him which cut of The Exorcist he'd prefer to see on Blu if forced to choose, and he chose TVYNS, though George Feltenstein told him they'd try to put both cuts out. Friedkin didn't seem to have a problem with that. He wasn't sure, however, if this was still the plan given the current economic situation.

[/QUOTE]
Well- it looks like Warner forced him to choose as The Digital Bits posted this yesterday

[QUOTE] Warner Home Video has confirmed that The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen will be released on Blu-ray Disc on 9/8 (the title is already available on DVD). [/QUOTE]

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

I did not care for TVYNS, so I will probably pass on this release and just hang on to my DVD copy of the theatrical version.
What's wrong with TVYNS? Did they omit anything from the original version? I thought they just added on some images of the demon and the spider walk.

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
Well, there are quite a few changes, which totally alter the pacing of the film:

• A slightly different opening, which shows the MacNeil's home in Georgetown, then cuts to the opening titles.
  • The scene where Chris MacNeil screams on the phone includes a new music cue and omits the line "I've been on this fucking line for 20 minutes!" and simply cuts to the next scene.
  • A new scene with Regan at the hospital receiving treatment to diagnose her "unusual" behavior. The doctor tells Chris MacNeil that Regan told him to "keep his hands away from her Goddamn cunt." This scene sets up her bizarre behavior earlier and clarifies the scene where Chris tells Regan "it's just like the doctor said, it's just nerves. You just take your pills and you'll be fine"
  • The party scene removes the shot of Regan lauging with the guests, obviously because of her "unusual" behavior in the previous scene.
  • In the scene where Chris returns home and the lights go out, new digital effects including satanic faces and images of the statue, new sound effects, and music have been added to the scene.
  • The "spider-walk" scene has been restored and digitally altered from the original scene. Here, crude wires from the scene have been digitally removed, she comes down the stairs much faster, and her mouth is full of blood. It then cuts to black, and the next scene opens.
  • Before she grabs the psychiatrist's crotch, a new digital effect of her face morphing into the devil(which is seen in subliminal cuts throughout)including a new growl has been added.
  • A new music cue has been added to the scene with Lt. Kinderman and Father Karras.
  • After Father Karras leaves for the night, a new scene of him examining a tape of Regan trying to talk to her dad has been added and a new music cues ties the new scene and the scene of Father Karras at the mass together.
  • New scenes with Sharon trying to tune out the devil groans and a short moment with Chris MacNeil and Father Merrin(which hints his vulnerability and weakness) have been added.
  • A new music cue has been added to the scene with Father Karras and Father Merrin going up the stairs to perform the exorcism, and a short scene has been added before they enter the room. Father Damien asks Chris MacNeil what Regan's middle name is. She tells him it's Theresa, and he says "what a lovely name."
  • The scene with Father Karras and Father Merrin talking on the stairs (which was included on the 25th Anniversary DVD) has been restored.
  • When Father Karras looks up at the window when he's possessed, a new digital effect with Karras' mother's face has been added, and the scene includes the "subtle morph effect" that was included on the 25th anniversary edition DVD.
  • When Chris MacNeil gives Father Dyer Father Karras' medal, he gives it back to her and says "I think you should keep it", instead of simply keeping it as in the original version. A new short scene of Regan smiling and waving at Father Dyer as they drive away and Father Dyer waving back has been added.
  • The original ending with Father Dyer and Lt. Kinderman has been restored. The 'tubular bells' music cue plays over them walking away, and it ends before Lt. Kinderman can say quote "Casablanca", "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship".

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for that detailed list, Andre. It has been quite awhile since I watched TVYNS, so I could not remember all the changes. I do know that I ended up selling that DVD version of TVYNS and keeping the 25th Anniversary Edition, as I preferred the theatrical cut of the film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You're right Scott, it's all about preference and I'm more inclined now to watch the TVYNS version than the original, but I remembered the 25th Anniversary release as not being the orignal version, but the director's cut. I have to check it out as I have four different dvd releases of this great film so the BRD will be my fifth release.

However, I do agree that Warner and those other studios need to make better use of the blu-ray available space by including both versions of a film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks