What's new

The Event - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I hope that last night's episode is more the way in which the show works -- the story progresses, but with flashbacks to fill things out.

The way the pilot episode was done actually did work (for me) as it was obviously intended to introduce all of these (apparently) random characters and show how they are interconnected to a specific "event" (not the "EVENT" mind), and it reminded me a bit of the movie "Vantage Point".

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I liked the second episode. I was surprised that they answered so many questions right away, but then they posed a whole bunch more.

I was surprised when the guy with his arm in the sling was killed. I still think he was part of the plan, but was sacrificed there. I almost didn't recognize the cruise guy there as being one of the people who kidnapped the pilot. I also liked the look back by the detective.

Anyway, I'll be around for the ride.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I'm kind of digging this show. They're doing a really good job of revealing just enough details to keep me interested. Though I'm not sure how they can sustain a story like this for more than a season.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ScottH http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/303475/the-event-season-1-thread/30#post_3733930

I'm kind of digging this show. They're doing a really good job of revealing just enough details to keep me interested. Though I'm not sure how they can sustain a story like this for more than a season.

I am hoping that the central conspiracy/danger that Sean currently find himself in (the events of the cruise/plane/girl friend) gets resolved this season. There could be many ways in which the story could unfold to keep this going for many years.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Finally got caught up on the DVR and watched the first two episodes. I'm linking it so far, but like others mentioned I hope they keep it on track. I think the most interesting dynamic may be what appears to be a conflict between the captive group and the other group that dealt with the plane.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I'm having a problem with not caring about any of the sides except that of the wronged boyfriend, and not caring about any of the characters except the wronged boyfriend and the president.

Mildly concerned about the abducted daughter but not too much since she's just a device, for now, to put the boyfriend character into action.

If I don't find some characters to care about soon, it won't be worth it for me. And even the boyfriend is on thin ice since he's just a Brad Pitt facial hair kind of guy. (He's a good actor, but not an inventive character).

And how many times have I seen that scene where the nurse has to act calm and not let the patient on that she's nervous because she's been told he's a killer and the police are coming to get him? Probably a half a dozen times or more.

The show's just a bit thin all around so far -- and time travelers with 1% difference in their DNA isn't a novel enough idea to make up for that.

Spero D

Second Unit
The jumping around with the time lines put me off, going back years, then months, jumping to current time. Meh. I'm out.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I enjoyed this episode. I knew what was going to happen at the end but still enjoyed the ride getting there.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I now have no idea who is who, and who is good and who is evil. Interesting episode of sorts, except now I know nothing that is going on at all.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
There is a helter-skelter desperate energy to this show, which is welcomed in filling the void left by "24".

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I'm still in. If they keep throwing in enough wild developments like what happened at the end of Episode 3 (the bodies from the plane crash waking up), then they will have me hooked for a good long while. And the FBI office-massacre was great.

(The about-to-tell-all-and-be-released prisoner's girlfriend killing him was so telegraphed, though.)
It's becoming more and more obvious that the Inostranka detainees are really time-travelers who came back in time to stop "The Event" from happening, but as always in time-traveling, they fucked up somehow, and now they have to wait it out, and be saved the hard way. I'm guessing this is why they can't tell the President or the government anything, because they would be giving away too much information, and risk changing future history. Again, the annoying points of the show are when it gets away from the "chase," and into the mythology. Based on that guy's little comments about how nice D.C. looked, it seems more and more like they're from the future, where the planet has been completely hosed up. I'll stick around for a while on this one.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The initial time jump was unnecessary since we found out what happened immediately afterward, but otherwise I quite liked this episode. I'm glad the pilot character isn't dead, since I enjoyed the actor on Gilmore Girls. Like you guys, I'm really enjoying the frenetic pacing of this show. That hour flew by. I also like that Sean Walker is shown to have a unique skill set that both makes him dangerous and explains how he could survive this long. The only thing that stuck out to me is how they're keeping the plane under wraps. Even if the government can explain away its sudden disappearance, that still doesn't change the fact that a plane was barreling down in toward the president on live national television. This should be more than simply a plane crash story.

Loved the ending with the makeshift morgue in the hanger. One of the creepiest moments I've seen on primetime TV in a long while, probably since Claire Bennet woke up in the middle of her own autopsy on "Heroes".

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm loving the pace of the show mainly because it moves much in the same way 24 did which is fast and furious.

Like others I'm really digging the Sean Walker storyline more than any of the others, mainly because of the strong likability and fierce resolve of Jason Ritter, and now that he has FBI help we should see some good stuff. Laura Innis is irritating me with how elusive she's being and I'm sort of disappointed in myself for that, after eating up all six seasons of Lost this summer I should be used to characters being that way lol.

President Martinez reminds me a lot of David Palmer and that's a very good thing. I agree about the ending morgue sequence, great scene, I was also relieved because the site of all those people, including children, laying there dead was messed up. The bitch holding Sean's girlfriend gets under my skin much in the same way Nina Myers did on 24, I hope someone takes her out and soon.

My friend and I have a theory regarding Innis' people, we don't think that they're aliens at all but rather humans from the far future who are a little further along on the evolutionary scale then we are here in the present accounting for their 1% difference.

Man I hope people wise up and watch so this can stick around, it both saddens me and pisses me off when great shows get canned.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer! I think it's one of two or three very possible answers. At the rate the show is moving, I wouldn't be surprised if it stops being a "massive mystery" type show, akin to LOST, and more about the actual event. Put simply, there's a chance that should the show last an entire season, we'll know roughly who these people are, and what the event is. Subsequent seasons will be *about* the event.

Either way, I really enjoy the show, and I find the pace quite welcome. The time jumping is interesting enough, very easy-to-follow (the specific time is literally shown to the audience), and allows for a few cool story-telling tricks.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Don't we already know what 'The Event' actually is? When those "people" crashed 40 years ago? Or however they got there.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
According to recent comments by the producers, the plane crash 66 years ago isn't "the event" -- we'll supposedly be finding out what exactly it is, at some point later this season.

Apparently it's something yet to occur, from our own temporal perspective. If those people are in fact from the future, it's possible that they arrived way off-course, in terms of the year, and are now being forced to wait out the intervening decades until right before "the event" is supposed to happen.

Which now seems to be fairly imminent.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I'm really enjoying the show... and then someone brings up ratings. Anyone happen to know how the show is doing?

Adam...

"We've locked down the air traffic controllers and everyone at Coral Gables who saw what happened, And nothing was broadcast live. We're discrediting scattered reports from people in the general vicinity who are being told that the plane was obscured when it flew into a midaltitude marine layer. What helps is everyone knows that a plane can't just disappear into thin air."

There was no broadcast of the plane on a crash course with the President.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

I'm really enjoying the show... and then someone brings up ratings. Anyone happen to know how the show is doing?

Unless something dramatic changes, The Event will be getting a back-nine. The question is where it stabilizes. After the premiere got a boffo 11.19 million viewers and a 3.7 18-49 share, the show has dropped every week such that last night was down to 7.556 million viewers and a 2.4 18-49 share. All heavily serialized shows lose a significant chunk of viewers early on, as those unwilling to make the commitment bailout. If The Event has mostly bottomed out, its future is secure. If it continues to drop significantly, that things become dicier. "Chuck" had terrible season premiere numbers, but it has remained rock solid when everything else has dropped and suddenly the calculus looks much better for that show. The conventional wisdom can change rapidly this early into the season.

Adam...

"We've locked down the air traffic controllers and everyone at Coral Gables who saw what happened, And nothing was broadcast live. We're discrediting scattered reports from people in the general vicinity who are being told that the plane was obscured when it flew into a midaltitude marine layer. What helps is everyone knows that a plane can't just disappear into thin air."

There was no broadcast of the plane on a crash course with the President.

Thanks for posting that refresher. I'm happy the show bothered with some explanation, but it's a bullshit explanation. The premiere showed a reporter with a live news van reporting with the plane directly behind her. This took place moments before the president was set to make a major address, so presumably all of the major networks had crews on the scene. Even if the reporters weren't broadcasting live when the plane first came into view, you can sure as hell bet they'd be live coast-to-coast as soon as the producer in the van could pick up the phone. The N.S.A. is correct that the best thing the government has going for it is that everyone knows that a plane can't just disappear into thin air, which makes people more predisposed to swallow the explanation they've come up with. At the very least, the fact that the President of the United States cancelled what was being billed as a major announcement would be newsworthy.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!

Still I believe this to be true, I can't see the network doing aliens when we've already got V, it's too easy.

That's why I predicted the show was about aliens, long before it even started (though it seems I was wrong, the event is likely something different--though it might still involve aliens). V is on ABC, and it is largely mediocre. Don't get me wrong, I watch V and all, but it doesn't blow me out of the water or anything. I figured NBC might try to swoop in with its own alien show and steal a bit of V's thunder.

Three episodes in, and The Event is much better than V, IMO,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks