What's new

The Event - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

Wouldn't shock me. Looks like an ambitious show though, and the NBC promotional campaign has been fantastic.

Definitely. The promos sold me from minute one. If they deliver on the promise, I expect a good HTF thread.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Needing a "Lost" fix? Maybe "The Event" will fill that void (or not). Premieres tonight on NBC at 9 p.m. EDT.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Awww, here I thought I started the season thread with my prediction: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/303475/the-event-season-1-new-nbc-show

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I already have the show scheduled to tape on my Tivo.

However, with me going out of town for a week it will

be that long until I have the chance to watch it.

...the show looks highly promising, though.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Since pilots aren't always the best showcase for where a series will go, I'm willing to give the show some slack (primarily because I dig a number of the actors on the show) but, so far, The Event is 24 with a twist of Lost, far fewer surprises and a huge number of commercials.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yeah, they've got me at least until next week.

Although that was some sorry-ass Secret Service protection. Godzilla could have been rising up out of the water, they'd've had that door shut and that car moving. And even when everything was clear, the President would've been moved the hell out of there.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I had to suspend disbelief there as well, but they wanted to punctuate "the event". I'll give it to them.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
According to interviews, the plane crash (or rather, the aborted plane crash) isn't "the event" proper -- apparently we won't know what it is exactly for at least a few more episodes. It's definitely tied into it somehow, it would seem.

A lot still needs to be established about past events (why exactly was the girl's family targeted, and how did the son-in-law know what was about to happen on the plane?). Next week, I imagine we'll be finding out more.

Still, I'm down for at least the short-term on this one, as long as it doesn't turn into another FlashForward.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I liked it. It wasn't perfect, but had more than enough promise to be worth keeping an eye on.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I hope they abandon the Rashômon-esque device for future episodes. The pleasure gained from the reveals was far outweighed by the tedium of seeing the same scene over and over again. Otherwise, I liked it a lot. Interestingly, the subtitles use the same font as NBC's summer conspiracy mystery, Persons Unknown.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

I hope they abandon the Rashômon-esque device for future episodes. The pleasure gained from the reveals was far outweighed by the tedium of seeing the same scene over and over again. Otherwise, I liked it a lot. Interestingly, the subtitles use the same font as NBC's summer conspiracy mystery, Persons Unknown.

I doubt they will. George R R Martin uses the device to great success in his Song of Ice and Fire series, and I can see it being of great use on The Event--the title cards might disappear, however (though I liked them).

My only concern is with the timeline, and how the scenes are jumping around. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a very interesting story-telling device, but I can already see people complaining, to the detriment of the ratings. Honestly, I've pretty much lost all faith in the TV-viewing audience--at least the ones who are tracked for ratings

I'm hooked, however. Much better than Persons Unknown (wow, what a craptastic show that was...).

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm out. I know this may work for some, but the constant changing of time is one of those things that is just too tedious for me. I realize people say "it's Lost-esque". ... go back and watch the Lost pilot, which did not have a ton of time flashes, and definitely not this jumble. This just never at any point seemed cohesive at all.

*shrug* Maybe I'll catch up at the end of the season if it catches on.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mattCR

I know this may work for some, but the constant changing of time is one of those things that is just too tedious for me. I realize people say "it's Lost-esque". ... go back and watch the Lost pilot, which did not have a ton of time flashes, and definitely not this jumble. This just never at any point seemed cohesive at all.

Yeah, the flashbacks on Lost were about 5 scenes of the entire episode and they were almost always in chronological order because they wanted to inform you about the character. This show seems more concerned with trying to be clever by tying one character's flashback into another's flashback. Like I said earlier, pilots are rarely the best episodes of a show so I'm willing to stick with this for a while longer especially since I've got nothing else to watch on Monday night this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks