What's new

The Eternal Buffytastic™ Thread Part IV (1 Viewer)

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Alright, I heard the "s" word and decided it was about time I weighed in on the brand-spakin' new thread.

I have trouble believing any of these "so and so MADE Joss do ______". None of these "theories" can ever be proven, its just taking one executives word over another's. Spike stunk up the show anyway you cut it, and at the end of the day its nobodys fault but ME's - they let it happen.

As far as S6 being better when its collected on DVD...I don't know. Theres a pretty noticeable drop in quality right off the bat, and it doesn't get much better. Season 6 didnt even really resonate with the fans very much. Go back and read the interviews from last summer - its always the same stuff over and over. And that, of course, directly paved the way for the "back to the old days" crapfest called season 7. DVD might be able to help S6 (just a bit), but Season 7 is beyond repair. It wouldnt even be good if you watched it with a room full of super models.

Alright...well, maybe if Heidi Klum was there...

JQ

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Oh, I forgot...

Now that Fray is (finally) over, anybody have a good guess at when the 'graphic novel' collection of all the issues will hit the stands? I decided to hold out for it...

JQ

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's in Dark Horse's solicits for October, both in an ~$18 softcover edition and a ~$70 deluxe signed slipcased hardcover edition.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I havent gotten my copy of Fray in the mail and I am just a bit upset.

UPN made them stop the Crazy thing?

I didnt realize that the fangirls had so much pull.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
Okay, here's a question someone can hopefully answer:

Did Buffy ever make reference to "remembering" the day she spent with Angel when he became human (from Angel Season One)?

I've been wondering this for a while...

mike.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Also, UPN made them cut a shot of SPIKE's skin peeling off or something. It was the episode with the UBER-vamp. He shoves spike in holy water, causing his skin to burn off. UPN said it was too graphic, so they made the Ubervamp simply shove spike in normal water, despite the fact that he's a vampire, and doesn't need to breathe.

I seem to recall reading an interview, that said UPN told them to wrap up the "crazy" spike storyline early because the fans on the message board didn't like it. Doesn't anyone know the people there are like 13 year olds?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Comments from Dragon Con:

The Buffy contingent had security shut down any photo taking of the 4 that were there today: James Marster, Iyari Limon, James Leery (Clem), and Danny Strong (Jonathan). I did get a shot of Danny and Iyari, and almost got one of James until some meathead walked right into the shot, and now I have a nice shot of the guy's side. Grr... Iyari's very pretty in person.

I did get to have a very small exchange with Marster as I was waiting to go to the bathroom, and the security guy was holding people from going in until both Marsters and Danny Strong were done. Then for some reason, Marsters was just standing and I finally asked the security dude if I could use the rest room, and he apologized and said to go ahead, and then Marsters was also apologetic and something like "Sorry, guess we're being treated like queen for a day" (commenting on the security measures). I thanked him and told him that I enjoyed his work on Buffy and looked forward to Angel this season. I was shocked at how short Danny was, and also how short James was. I dwarfed Danny (and I'm only 5'8"), and James was only a couple of inches taller than me, it seemed.

BTW, Marsters had his 1 hour panel today, and he really impressed me with his candor, and his work ethic, and love for the theater. If he had to pick among TV, film, or the theater, he said "Now that I have money, I'd pick theater." He gave some good thoughtful answers, and the crowd had a great time with him. There definitely more to him than just the bleached blonde hair, the good physique, and the accent. If he ever appears at a convention near you, I would recommend going to see his panel. Also, his panel was packed to the gills. The majority were women who loved the Buffy show, and Spike's whole arc on the show.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
A million questions came to mind on reading Patrick's message, but I'll stick with two:

"So, did you find yourself doing completely irrational things when near Marsters?"

and

"Did he have the pictures with him and what's in them?"

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
1. No, but perhaps that was due to concentrating on my bladder control at the moment, thus overcompensating for any effect Marsters might have had on that bodily function...

2. Which pictures?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The pictures Jason theorizes contain various execs and producers in compromising positions, potentially with farm animals to keep Spike on the show

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
OK, question for everyone. When was the first instance of Xander/Willow/Oz/Cordelia being called the Scooby Gang? Was it ever explained on camera? I just found it kind of odd that Angel and Spike would use the term (even though they did) because I can't imagine a vampire watching Scooby-Doo or catching a pop culture reference like that.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I remember Xander using it sometime in the 2nd or 3rd season, something about "if you want to hang with the Scooby gang, you've got to (something not quite as witty as Xander would have liked)" to Cordelia.

Spike, I could definitely see picking it up; while Angel often seems clueless about the 20th century, Spike has been a pop-culture sponge, and had a lot of time in the 2nd season when he couldn't do much more than watch TV and such.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
More Dragon Con tidbits (or non-tidbits):

Totally missed both of the Buffy hours with live stars (first was Andy Hallett and James Cleery, and the second was Iyari Limon and Danny Strong). I didn't know about the first one, and the second had the line capped off about 100 places before me. Why oh why did they stick them into the little room for Buffy programming when real live actors from the show are doing a panel at the convention? That rates a big Boo! from me. I guess I'll have to read what was said in each panel from some other con reports soon.

But while waiting for James Marsters' band, Ghost of the Robot, to play, I did find out from some middle-aged ladies that attended the Andy Hallett and James Cleery panel, and they said that Andy was very gracious and humble by the success and attention he's gotten from fans at cons by being on Angel.

The concert was a mixed bag, the energy was good, but the songs were all that great, and the music wasn't to my taste (punkish rock). Also, it was a bit too loud (like most concerts are), so I did stuff from napkins in my ears to ward of any ringing in my ears, which it did. Marsters was screaming the lyrics in many of the songs that I heard (around 6) before I left to check out the rest of the areas for costumed attendees who were all in good number as usual.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm convinced Marsters is even shorter than 5'10", he maybe closer to 5'8" as my friends and I passed him and his posse in one of the connectors between hotel/buildings, and I almost didn't realize it was him because he seem to have shrunk from seeing him on Friday. He does have a fairly large noggin, though. It's amazing how tall TV can make some people appear on the little screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks