What's new

The Eternal Buffytastic™ Thread Part IV (1 Viewer)

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
Proof that not every awards group is as clueless as the Emmys:
The Television Critics Association just presented Buffy with its Heritage Award "which recognizes a long-standing program whose positive cultural and social impact extends beyond television." The other nominees were 60 Minutes, Saturday Night Live, Law & Order, and Reading Rainbow.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Well, the awards aren't for the most original idea; it's about execution.
Don't think the Emmys are about execution, either. If they were, Buffy would have won a few back in seasons 2 and/or 3. And Law and Order and the West Wing would have disappeared from Emmy a couple or three years ago.

No, the first consideration for an Emmy nomination is being part of the mainstream establishment.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I had the pleasure of meeting Amber this weekend at the Comic Con and she was so cool and just really a nice person.

I asked her why she decided not to come back during Season 7 because I had read an interview with Joss saying she didnt want to come back.

She said in essence it was because she didnt want to dissapoint the fans by coming back Evil and she would have if she had agreed to come back. She wasnt into that and I cant say I blame her.

As far as spinning off Faith just to have another show in a franchise ala Enterprise, I think its a bad idea.

Joss and the writers showed us in the last two seasons that they werent up to par so why have them write a series that is just ho-hum.

Saw an interview last night on TV with Allison Hannigan doing press for American Wedding and she said that the movie taught her everything NOT to do with her upcomming nuptuals to Alexis Denisof (Wesley).

She looks great!

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
She said in essence it was because she didnt want to dissapoint the fans by coming back Evil and she would have if she had agreed to come back. She wasnt into that and I cant say I blame her.
That's interesting cuz I recall Robia La Morte being real upset when she agreed to appear in "Amends" only to find out that she'd be playing The First. I guess Amber didn't wanna make the same mistake.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
As far as spinning off Faith just to have another show in a franchise ala Enterprise, I think its a bad idea.
That's not it at all. Just as Angel is a VERY different show from Buffy, so would be "Faith". The current outline has her on the run from the law, moving from town to town helping people against evil with some pals in tow.

Sounds to me more like Lupin III meets Kung-Fu.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
That's not it at all. Just as Angel is a VERY different show from Buffy, so would be "Faith". The current outline has her on the run from the law, moving from town to town helping people against evil with some pals in tow.
Sounds like a bit of the TV show The Incredible Hulk mixed withe the Fugitive.

That doesnt sound too good although it would really depend on the writers and havent most of them gone on to other show?

Hell Joss, isnt even doing Angel full time anymore. He's admitted he was going to leave Buffy if it had continued and you can tell he wasnt devoting much time to it anymore.

I am still a bit peeved that he hasnt listened to fan reaction to just dumping Cordie.

I dont know, I think he may still be a bit bitter about Firefly being cancelled.

JohnAP

Second Unit
Good news about the Fray collection, I just hope they can finally get issue 8 out there. Weren't they promising it'd be out in June in the back of 7?

I haven't read too many of the comics besides Fray, but to anyone who hasn't checked it out, I'd recommed the Tales of the Slayer trade. It's got all the writers from the show and some really original art by a variety of creators.

As far as the emmy's, I gave up a long time ago. We can at least take solace in the fact that so many critics and viewers have complained about Buffy and Angel's absence from the nominations, it's become a joke.

chris_everett

Second Unit
I don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but Buffy season 5 R1 is available for preorder on amazon.com release date of December 9th!!!

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
More stuff from the Whedon panel. Is it just me, or does anyone else get the impression from reading these things that Whedon is just getting further out of touch with his audience?
Will there be a musical episode of Angel?
WHEDON: No … it wouldn’t work in that universe … it’s too “dark” there.
It didn't exactly work on Buffy, either. But can you really say that Angel was darker than Buffy during the last couple of years? It was bigger and more operatic, but also a whole lot funnier and just plain fun. Sure, back during Buffy S4/Angel S1, Angel was darker, but that hasn't been the case for a good long while.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Is it just me, or does anyone else get the impression from reading these things that Whedon is just getting further out of touch with his audience?
Ive thought the same thing the last year or so. He seems more like B&B from Trek than the Joss I used to read about defending Season 6 and 7 when they arent anything near as great as the seasons before it. Hell even SMG noticed the changes and has been very vocal about them in interviews.

Buffy was always successful because it blended Comedy, Drama and Horror not to mention great dialouge. Season 6 and 7, even though they had there moments, were bland and inconsistant with none of the surprises that were a part of the show in its early stages.

Theres nothing wrong with Dark but Buffy went there and stopped being entertaining (Buffy working at a fast food joint?!).

To add to that, the characters started acting so different that you couldnt even reccognize them most of the time.

Maybe he was burned out but I hope that burnout for the Buffy Universe doesnt roll over to Angel next season.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Maybe he was burned out but I hope that burnout for the Buffy Universe doesnt roll over to Angel next season.
How involved was Joss with Angel last season? I know he wrote "Spin the Bottle", but did he have final say on the story arc or anything else? Or were Jeffrey Bell and Tim Minear running the show?

Travis_S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis
He had the final say on Angel, read the scripts and watched rough cuts of the episodes. This year he said that he'd have the same amount of involvement as he had last year.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
How involved was Joss with Angel last season? I know he wrote "Spin the Bottle", but did he have final say on the story arc or anything else? Or were Jeffrey Bell and Tim Minear running the show?
True, he had little to do with Angel either last year and with the revolving door of Producers lately and the change in concept of the show (Wolfrem Hart as the new homebase, Cordi gone, Spike in, Appearances by Harmony). It could either be a really good thing or the show could Jump the Shark.

So is he saying he is more involved than he is simply to appease fans?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I believe that Joss will continue his current level of involvement with the show. He guides it, he approves the path, the scripts and the final cuts of the eps. I believe he will write and direct more episodes since he isn't juggling 3 shows.
Don't forget guys, he's just come off of 7 years busting his ass and he has a new son. Perhaps he'd like to spend some time being a father :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks