1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Eternal Angelriffic Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Jeff Kleist, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Well-Known Member

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Well-Known Member

That's actually something "Angel" does pretty well, though - when they need to drop a whole bunch of exposition on you, they tend to create nifty little scenes that make you forget that you're in the middle of an information dump. Many shows don't do it so well - "Babylon 5", for instance, needed a lot of them, and they often dragged the show to a standstill.

3. RafaelB

RafaelB Well-Known Member

Well, I have a question about that 'girl' in the White Room-Who played her? She looked really familiar to me. And is she the person who runs WR&H? The Top Banana?

Rafael

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Well-Known Member

She was listed in the credits, though I didn't catch the name, as "Girl"

I'm guessing she's one of the (Evil) Powers that Be behind W&H

5. DavidDeane

DavidDeane Member

6. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Well-Known Member

www.zap2it.com

Interview With Charisma Carpenter on "ANGEL"

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - In Shakespeare's "King Lear," the monarch's youngest daughter, Cordelia, refuses to suck up to her father in order to be awarded dominion over part of his realm. Her honesty ultimately costs Cordelia her life.

It's probably no coincidence, then, that the brutally honest character on The WB's "Angel" played by Charisma Carpenter is also named Cordelia.

"She's really the best friend you could ask for," Carpenter says of Cordelia. "She always tells the truth."

It's a trait that doesn't always make Cordelia the most endearing character -- especially in Carpenter's years on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." Cordy more often than not played the stuck-up, popular-girl role in the show's high-school setting.

Since Carpenter moved to "Angel" three seasons ago, however, she has had room to show far more depth to Cordelia. It's something she says was always there in the character.

"It was just a matter of when to bring it out," Carpenter tells Zap2it.com. "She was never one-dimensional; she wasn't as superficial as people thought."

Where Cordy was a supporting character on "Buffy," she's the female lead in "Angel." Her psychic visions -- sent to her by the supernatural Powers That Be -- are what point Angel (David Boreanaz), Wesley (Alexis Denisof), Gunn (J. August Richards) and Fred (Amy Acker) to where the bad guys are.

That responsibility, executive producer David Greenwalt says, has allowed Cordelia to grow from a "vainglorious" high schooler to someone who's "almost like a superhero." It's also allowed Carpenter to stretch as an actress.

"Having the opportunity to convey the other facets of her personality and the dynamic of her has been a wonderful workload and experience," Carpenter says. "I can't help but notice a vast difference."

The chance to expand Cordelia's character was a big part of what drew Carpenter to "Angel" after three seasons on "Buffy." Carpenter says she was "very flattered" by the offer from "Buffy" creator Joss Whedon and Greenwalt, but wondered whether any of the people who made "Buffy" what it was would be moving over to the new series.

After hearing that several key crew members would make the transition, and that she'd be welcome on "Buffy" if "Angel," for some reason didn't make it, Carpenter took the plunge.

"I just trusted -- which is not my nature, actually -- because I believed so truly in [Whedon's] ability as a writer and as a visionary, that it would be fine," she says.

Carpenter's expanded role has also allowed to take part in the demon-fighting action that makes up a good chunk of each "Angel" episode. She says she didn't get to kill a vampire on "Buffy" until her final episode, which didn't sit too well with her.

"That was the final thing I asked for Cordelia to be able to do," Carpenter says. "She lived on a Hellmouth but didn't stake a vampire until the third-season finale. She was always the damsel in distress, and I was constantly frustrated by that."

Now, she regularly works with the show's stunt team, learning how to handle the show's array of fearsome weaponry. She's even considering doing some training on her own.

"If we [continue to] go in that direction, I'd possibly have an interest in pursuing martial arts. Also, because I've gained a bit of weight, and I'd like to work on that," she says with a laugh. "I'm just attracted to it."

The "if" in that statement may come from the fact that she's befuddled by what she knows about the end of this season. Carpenter says she likes the way show's writers have been developing the relationship between Angel and Cordelia from co-workers to friends to possible lovers.

Then she was told what would happen in the season finale.

"I guess it's all up in the air," she says. "I had to pointedly ask -- and the answer was, 'We don't know what's happening with any of you.' So, I'm just as frustrated as the next guy."

Still, she has confidence that the show's writers will make whatever happens works.

"These writers aren't normal writers," she says. "They're able to put twists and turns on things."

7. DeborahK

DeborahK Well-Known Member

Thanks, Robert!

The season's end surely has me intrigued now!

8. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Well-Known Member

Very interesting. This is why Buffy and Angel are so good. They aren't simply stupid shows about good vs. evil. There's symbolizm, metaphor's, and references galore. The writing and directing/acting/effects/story is what makes the show great. But what truly makes it rise above is the fact that everyone involved really knows where the show's going. [​IMG]

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Speaking of trips to the exposition room, did anyone expect Seth Green to show up and start bugging Sahjahn (sp?) Scott-Evil-style about why he does not just kill everyone instead of explaining his elaborate schemes while being repeatedly "shushed"? [​IMG]

Regards,

10. Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis Well-Known Member

11. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Well-Known Member

Not a good season ending? I thought it was perfect. Season 2 was about Angel choosing to become a selfish, dark Angel - he didnt care if he was hurting his friends or anyone else as long as his needs were served. Basically becuase of Darla he managed to center his emotions around her and no one else.
    Skip ahead to the end of the season, post-"Epiphany", and we've got regular, caring Angel back. The trip to Pylea - where Angel couldnt control his inner demon - served as a reflection for Angel to see just how bad he had hurt everyone (mentally and physically). Pylea (or another dimension) was the only place they could really pull this off - it wouldnt work in L.A.

And thats just Angel - we also got to see the origins of Lorne, Cordelia get more then she ever wished for, the bond between Wes and Gunn, the Introduction of Fred, and dancing Joss Whedon. I consider Pylea to be one the high water marks for the Angel writing staff...

JQ

12. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Well-Known Member

I've managed to flex my "Buffy Spoiler-Free" muscles, but I must say I've given in to the dark side with Angels spoilers, anyone been following them??

Contained below is the most reliable info on what will happen in the final moments of "Tomorrow" the season 3 finalie of Angel.
    Consider yourselves warned.

Apperantly Conner (who insists on being called Steven) will serverly beat Angel. Then he'll lock Angel in a metal box and toss him into the ocean. The last thing we'll see this season will be Cordy getting a vision of Angel sinking to the bottom...

Angel has never had a cliffhanger like this before..

JQ

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Well-Known Member

In an interview on the news, this being tall dark and hunky's hometown,

David Boreanez hinted that Angel MAY be turning somewhat evil in the season finale

14. John Thomas

John Thomas Well-Known Member

Long-time Buffy viewer reporting in announcing that I haven't seen any Angel episodes. What prompts me to do this...well, I recorded it tonight just to see if I want to get my feet wet with another series.

I started watching it and quickly I'm lost. First - that's Cordelia? Whaa? I'd heard she had moved over to Angel but..wow. Anyhow, I realized that I have no idea what's going on.

Summing it up, I'm lost and need direction. Can someone catch me up to speed? Much appreciated. [​IMG]

15. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Well-Known Member

You need DVDs. We could try to get you up to speed, but I'm fairly sure we'd fail miserably. You might be able to find someone willing to hook you up with tapes of seasons 1-3.

16. John Thomas

John Thomas Well-Known Member

Let me first start off with: Please, oh please, oh please. [​IMG]

Next, I thought that someone may have a link to an Angel version of BuffyGuide.com, spoliers/notes included.

I'm really debating on watching the episode not knowing what is going on. It seems to be a pivotal part of the season and I know coming in at that junction isn't good (as I did mid-season 3 for Buffy).

17. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Well-Known Member

Is Charisma Carpenter pregnant?

18. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Well-Known Member

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Angel 4/22/02:

Not too crazy about the short hair look on Cordy (she looks like a boy now). Charisma may be preggers, I noticed she was packing on the pounds in the gluteal/stomach areas. Cordy was such a good friend to Angel, knowing when to let him decompress, and not pushing until he needed some prodding, and to talk through his pain.

I was shocked at how mean Gunn could become in order to drive Fred away. Not only did he load her with food and shakes, giving her a tummy ache, but then he lowered the boom on her, and at that point in time, Fred must have been in total agony. At least she's smart enough to figure out that Gunn could only do what he did in order to spare her a bigger hurt (seeing and understanding why Wesley did what he did probably helped her in this situation, but it was still as painful regardless of the understanding).

The gambling debt angle was just an excuse to get Angel to come out of his shell. It seems he's finally ready to move on without Connor in his life for the time being. I knew Gunn was stupid enough to trade his soul for what he traded it for (guessed it before he told Fred). Kids in that environment often are raised with the mantra that they have no future, so it wasn't totally out of Gunn's character at that place and time for such stupidity.

Gru's lines crack me up, they are delivered so stiffly and innocently by Lutz.

Any guesses as to who shows up next week?

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I thought last night's episode was merely OK, but it was almost saved by Fred's line near the end, "Your soul wasn't worth air conditioning?"

Regards,