What's new

The Empire Strikes Back (1 Viewer)

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
All of that backstory about the cave and Yoda fighting a dark jedi are all taken from the Expanded Universe, which isn't considered canonical material, but it is fun to read none the less.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom, Are you sure? If I remember the introduction correctly, Zahn claims to have complete consent from Lucas to 'create' what is to become of our heroes after Jedi. My interpretation of that intro was that all the info contained in Zahn's trilogy was to become part of the Star Wars canon. It is those books that were not part of Zahn's trilogy, including other SW books by Zahn himself, that are part of the Expanded Universe.

David Singleton

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Tom for the link to the additional explanations regarding the additional material.
For all intents and purposes the new material is considered "official" unless contradictoray to the films. That said, I personally agree with Cees that Lucas' attempt to alter Han's personality by having Greedo shoot first should definately be ignored.
For those that haven't read any of the additional material, I highly recommend the new novels as they are all generally very good.
James, I believe (from my weak memory) that Truce of Bakura almost immediately follows Return.... Courtship follows Truce then the Zahn trilogy falls in the timeline. What I can't remember is the time that passes between each event.
As far as Lucus' approval, he used to personally review each proposal (still does?) for the new stories. I have no idea where I got that. Could be a magazine or introduction to a novel or game book. He obviously reserves the right to change anything in a future film. I would hope that changes would be minimal for continuity purposes.
I hope this makes everything as clear as mud. :)
David

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Wow...all this ESB and Expanded Universe talk is making me crazy...I wanna watch the original Trilogy so bad now, but I vowed never to watch VHS again. Hopefully I won't get as nuts as the two years before E1 though...boy, I couldn't say anything to anybody without gettng into a philisophical agrument about Star Wars...hehe.
------------------
Latest Additions: Wayne's World: The Complete Epic, Die Hard Collection
"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi...At last, we will have revenge."
3 more months...

Mike Gariepy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
The Courtship of Princess Leia did indeed come just before the Zahn trilogy, hence the reason they were not married yet.
Here is the Star Wars timeline, including all the books:
Link Removed "Hi I'm Reddy Killowatt reporting a dangerous overloaded octopus connection in sector five!"
My HT Equipment | My DVD List

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks