What's new

The Empire Strikes Back (1 Viewer)

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I always thought the the cave, and the appearance of Vader meant that Luke was capable of turning the dark side still, since he was only a little ways along in the training. In one of the books, he returns there and encounters nothing, since he a Jedi Knight.
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

Travis D

Second Unit
You wanna talk about "magic laser" theories? How about this one. In the opening of SW:ANH watch the opening battle in freeze frame. Right before the camera cuts to the inside of the ship, there is a laser blast that turns a COMPLETE 90 degrees downward and strikes the transport ship. ::God I'm such a fanboy:: Answers please.
P.S. - I also for some reason watched Empire last night. It was the only one too. Creepy.

KyleK

Second Unit
I have another question about this movie. In the beginning, the probe droid crashes on Hoth, then flies over either Luke or Han (can't remember). Then Luke sees something he says is a meteorite. Are the crashing probe droid and the thing Luke calls a meteorite the probe droid shown from different angles at different times, or two different things, a probe droid and a meteorite?
Maybe I'm missing some clues to the sides of the frame, because all I have are p&s copies (bought before I knew the virtues of widescreen).

Brian_J

Second Unit
Something thats always bothered me is that Yoda, I thought, looked so shriveled and small because he was old. But in Episode 1 he looked almost exactly the same way so I guess he has always looked like that. So how did he "duel" with anyone unless it was all with his mind?
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
--Its got to be the AT-AT on the snowy knoll--
Wasn't there a guy named Zapruder there? :) Also known as The Snowy Knoll theory!! :)
------------------

Carlos Mendoza

Stunt Coordinator
I always thought that Luke should've been courtmartialed for Dak's Death. Remember, Dak says something like "There's a problem with Fire Control" and Luke replies, "Don't worry about that now!" The the shot hits and Dak's instrument panel blows up in his face.
Now, if Luke had let Dak repair the fire controls, perhaps the shot that struck the ship would not have caused the interior short circuit that killed (or maybe just injured) Dak.
Plus, did Luke check to see if Dak had a pulse just before running out of the way of the AT-AT? Or was he merely retrieving the suction cup/grappling hook thingy?

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Star Wars Episode VII: Dack Strikes Back
That guy's full name is Dack Ralter. Who knew?
"'She-zor.' Who knew?"
Free Enterprise

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
Here's my ESB goof question:
When Luke is sliding down the metal waterslide in Bespin, there is a shot of him coming to a complete stop. Then a shot of the outside of Bespin opening, then a shot of the hatch under Luke opening, then a shot of Luke sliding down another tube, then the shot of him falling out of the bottom and catching the weather vane. If you watch the sequence, the inserted shot of him sliding after he falls really seems out of place; the angle he is sliding doesn't seem to match up with the hatch opening and then falling out of the bottom of the city.
It just bugs me.
And did you know that a Stormtrooper bumps his head in SW:ANH?
biggrin.gif

------------------
Cancer: (June 22--July 22)
Next time someone comes to your house to tell you that your husband has been shot, you should at least try to act surprised.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
And did you know that a Stormtrooper bumps his head in SW:ANH
:) Ah, such a classic film flub. The one thing about this that does bother me is that it's an often used point by both Star Wars/Anti-Star Wars fans to make criticisms. Star Wars fans love it because it's kinda quirky and fun, and film snobs use it to bash Star Wars because they say it's a flaw in film making. Can you guess which camp I'm in? If you'll watch the scene even further, the supposedly same troop watches his head this time
laugh.gif
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson

Jody C Robins

Stunt Coordinator
Of course, people hit their heads on stuff in real life all the time, so I don't really see it as a film flub. Who knows, maybe it was planned.

Something thats always bothered me is that Yoda, I thought, looked so shriveled and small because he was old. But in Episode 1 he looked almost exactly the same way so I guess he has always looked like that. So how did he "duel" with anyone unless it was all with his mind?
Not all Jedis are necessarily warriors...
------------------
I am funkier than you

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
First of all, it isn't too surprising that people are going back to Empire Strikes Back right now at the same time. We have Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back being heavily discussed/advertised as well as the announcement for the title of the second film. Makes sense to go home to familiar ground. It is fun to watch fan-boys (and I am one of them, mind you) who find apocryphal materials that explain things in the movies, like the "Dark Side Sight" or whatever the cave was called. Yes, yes...I have the "Behind the Magic" CD-Roms and they mention it, but it is goofy to use that for a movie. I keep going back to this with the POTA's ending. My old theatre teacher (and I have said this before) said that "if it isn't in the script, it ain't there." A movie, like a play, is an event to be viewed by itself, even if it is a sequel, and needs to stand up on the merits of it's own script. If it ain't there, it is meaningless to discuss what the exact nature of things are (such as the spot where a Jedi was killed). What is important was how people felt about what was shown. It was obviously a test, because Yoda knew what was happening and was clearly upset at how Luke handled it. The reveal has enough blatant symbolism that we don't need "the sight of a Dark Jedi's death" to justify it.
I don't want to poke holes in stuff, but filmmakers get off too easy with Deus Ex Machina type endings or, like POTA, totally ambiguous ones. One can discuss what they mean, but there has to be relevant info about it in the script or it is lazy filmmaking. The Usual Suspects was good for this, because there were plenty of clues in the movie, especially on second viewing, as to who Kaiser Soze was. It was there. Same with Sixth Sense.
Ah, I will cut it out. ESB ruled. Did you notice that when Dak died, his head went back, and to the left? Back and to the left?
Phil (went on too long ) Florian

James D S

Screenwriter
quote: All of that backstory about the cave and Yoda fighting a dark jedi are all taken from the Expanded Universe, which isn't considered canonical material, but it is fun to read none the less. [/quote]
Tom, Are you sure? If I remember the introduction correctly, Zahn claims to have complete consent from Lucas to 'create' what is to become of our heroes after Jedi. My interpretation of that intro was that all the info contained in Zahn's trilogy was to become part of the Star Wars canon. It is those books that were not part of Zahn's trilogy, including other SW books by Zahn himself, that are part of the Expanded Universe.
Secondly, the fact about the jedi duel at that cave is almost necessary since it explains what might be considered a continuity problem: Why Vader, or any other jedi bounty hunter, couldn't track Yoda and kill him as he did the others. The theory goes that Yoda, being a jedi, by staying close to a source of the dark force, their two opposing forces 'cancel out,' making him 'invisible' to Vader's jedi tracking techniques.
Of course, that raises the question of how Ben was able to avoid detection all this long. Was it a similiar method? Although, I vaguely remember someone clarifying this but I can't recall any specifics.
[Edited last by James D S on August 17, 2001 at 05:26 AM]

David Singleton

Stunt Coordinator
All novels, Dark Horse (not Marvel) comics, and trade paperbacks have the approval of Lucasfilm.
Some restrictions have been placed on them, especially concerning Darth Vader.
These items are not considered "Expanded Universe." That term was really created for the action figures that came from the novels, comics, etc. in order to provide the buying public, unfamiliar with anything beyond the movies, incentive to purchase these new figures.
The novels and comics were being published as official items long before the "Expanded Universe" term was coined.
David

James D S

Screenwriter
David, I hope you are incorrect as several of the various novels contradict one another if taken to all be of the same 'timeline.' For instance, in Courtship of Princess Leia, Leia and Han did not get married nor have children shortly after Jedi. But in the Zahn trilogy, they do. These would be two grossly contradictory points if we are to assume they both fall into Star Wars canon.
Doen't make much sense. Could you elaborate, then, on what you mean by 'approval.' Do you mean approval in a rights sense or in the sense that all subsequent stories become 'true' accounts of the Star Wars universe.
[Edited last by James D S on August 17, 2001 at 04:16 PM]

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I think the "approval" of Lucas Films only extends to the use of the characters and situations.
Personally, I would not accept any source outside the movies in question to explain whatever - especially not if they would contradict my careful interpretation of the movie. Same goes for anything written about James Bond except by Ian Fleming himself.
I go even further: I do not accept George Lucas' cover up of the fact that Han Solo shot first. To hell with those false CGI images! Never mind it's Lucas himself saying so.
He did shoot first, I personally own copies of tape-recordings clearly proving he really did! Smart guy. Inexorable.
:)
Cees
[Edited last by Cees Alons on August 18, 2001 at 05:06 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks