What's new

The Electric Company is coming to DVD!!! (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The only thing I remember from the EC was Spiderman, and I sued to love it! If Spidy is on the set, I'm sure to pick it up. All these other actors sound great too!

Dale_

Agent
Spider-Man didn't start on Electric Company until the third or fourth season I think. It'll be interesting to see if Sesame Workshop is able to negotiate with Marvel over this. For quite some time now, the bottom line at Marvel has been money.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

That, and their Six Million Dollar Man parody ($6.50 Man?) were the stand-outs for me. And one or two particular musical-number pieces (one involving a big pinball machine).

Remember the cartoons that "Roy" would show Goriddle Gorilla on a little pocket TV as a regular feature on The Great Space Coaster? Sort of a happy babbling character made up of one continuous line? Apparently his name was "La Linea" - which I'm going to go out on a limb and guess means something like "The Line" - and there is an R2 DVD that collects some of those cartoon shorts (and there's a soundtrack CD). I imagine what was shown on Coaster was just excerpts of longer cartoons; I'd be curious to see the character again.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
There was a one-hour "best-of" Great Space Coaster put out by MGM on VHS and CED. I've never seen any commercial Electric Company home video releases, and the only old-school Sesame Street that has come out so far is Christmas Eve On Sesame Street. I'll definitely buy Electric Company, and as soon as more old (pre-1980) Sesame Street gets announced I'll have my order in!

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
By now we know that it's a 4-disc Best-of release this Tuesday Feb. 7 (with a single-disc release a month later) but I'm wondering if anyone remembers the format of the show. Were there any interstitials (right term?) or little character things between segments or were the segments pieced together? If there were interstitials, how would they be placed on this set? If there weren't any, then never mind.

I hope Shout! will release more Volumes of this show if there were other segments that we haven't seen on this first set. Of course, segments could get repetitive (e.g., "silhouette" with different words) but the different stories like Spidey would be welcome.

Looking at the show's info at tv.com there were 130 shows in each season. Were the shows 30 minutes long? If so, then I can see why they can't do a "Season 1" release for a reasonable price.

I also wonder if this set will include the cast singing the song "That's All" which was assumed to be aired because it was on the last episode (see the episode summary for "Coach" at tv.com)?

http://www.tv.com/the-electric-compa...2/summary.html
http://www.sesameworkshop.org/tec/

Thank you, Shout! Factory, for bringing this great show to DVD!

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
I am disappointed that it's not going to be a complete 1st Season set, but it will still be nice to have any of these shows at all.

What's going to be on the upcoming single-disc release?

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
There weren't any interstitials. One bit transitioned to another, usually with a really cheesy 70s video effect.

Yes, the shows were 30 minutes.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Season Sets of Sesame Street are a logistical impossibility on DVD, maybe in Blu-Ray. They used to do 130 hour-long commercial-free shows a year. I wonder if Shout! Factory could get the rights to a Sesame Street compilation similar to this Electric Company disc.

He has 2 shots at the end, both non-speaking. I compared the DVD to a 16mm print of the film and the letterboxed trailer on the disc, and confirmed that it the DVD is not open-matte. It is pan and scan.

Kelly W

Second Unit
I was thinking about picking this up, but I'm not totally convinced. Has anybody bought it yet? I'm looking for opinions.

I read an Amazon review that there is a bug where the discs won't start the episodes-- it just keeps skipping to each Rita Moreno introduction. Apparently, you must manually skip ahead to reach the episode. Is this true?

I watched this as a kid, but I only have very sketchy memories of it.

I'd also be interested in a 3-2-1-Contact set with The Bloodhound Gang episodes. That would be neat to see again as well. :)

-Kelly

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
i just received my set from DVDplanet.com

I'm going to start an episode or two now, let you know what I think.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Im in the middle of watching one episode, the very first episode.

It's playing in my Playstation 2.
Intro started fine and went directly to the episode.

Video is great for it being from 1971

wow, the 70's, I just can't stop laughing at how funny everyone was acting on this show, especially Bill Cosby.

OH! and Fargo North, message decoder!!

They even included the old PBS logo bumper at the end.

I'm enjoying this very much.

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Here's the review I wrote for digitally Obsessed: Electric Company review I enjoyed the set a lot, and my son loved it. It has pretty much everything you remember if you watched the show, with episodes covering the entire run. What I really would have liked to see is more of the outtakes, especially the off color ones. Most of the outtakes on the disc are typical flubs, but they threw in one Cosby one where he and Rita Moreno are in a flower shop, and after finding out they're out of flowers says something like "I'll just get her some Tampax."

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Jeff after reading your revew and seeing "G" for tobacco use, and then saw the sketch where easy reader ask for matches to smoke, and rita says "you don't smoke."
The easy reaer says something to the effect of "when i'm not reading I need to strike"

so kids besides reading, smoke and play with matches!:)

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I think he says something about absolutely needing to read, and even a book of matches will do when he doesn't have anything else. I forget the actual rhyme he uses, but it wasn't really advocating the use of matches beyond anything other than reading material. It was strange to see Cosby with a big stogie in almost every other scene he was in, though, given how sanitized kids TV is these days.

Kelly W

Second Unit
I love what I've seen of the set so far. It really brings back memories.

Has anyone gotten far enough to know whether Victor Borge's punctuation sketch is included anywhere? I'd really love to see that again. (He reads a story, but makes all kinds of noises to illustrate the punctuation marks.)

My wife and I saw Victor Borge perform live in Dallas shortly before he passed away. He was asked by an audience member to do a little "punctuation", but he said he was too old (and had lost too many teeth) to do it anymore. I really miss Victor Borge.

-Kelly

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks