What's new

the DVD Collectors' insanity... (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
After reading this I just went and cancelled all of my-pre-orders... seriously. Christ, this really is a serious sickness. Luckily its only in the early stages, but for some reason my parents tormenting me about my obsessive buying never got through to me like reading this thread did!
P.S. I'll probably go back and place all the preorders again in a minute! (Silently screaming from inside: HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

NeilEdwards

Stunt Coordinator
I am just reaching the 900 mark. I pre-order all my DVD's and keep track of what I have and what I order. I am replacing a 2000+ collection of VHS tapes. Most of my DVD's are the classics, and they don't come out that often. Then I must have every film on every AFI list. But I just don't buy the DVD to own the DVD.
Now, watching the DVD's are another story. I manage to watch about 10 DVD's a week. I play a very elaborate game for my watching schedule. After I watch a DVD the next one must have an actor from the previous one. I have gone for about 3 months without hitting a wall. My first one comes in about a month with ... Diabolique, La Cage aux Folles and La Cage aux Folles II. If The French Connection would make it by then, I could continue with the thread. But, I am afraid it won't happen. So, I go to the next DVD on the shelf that has not been watched. The Caine Mutiny. Then I pick up Humphrey Bogart and go for several months more until I reach You Can Count on Me. By then, maybe I will be able to continue with the same thread.
BUT IT IS FUN!

Sarah S

Second Unit
I havn't done a count in a while, but I suspect I'm still under 300 (barely!) My husband thinks I'm slightly obsessive as I have close to 500 cds and who knows how many books. Currently, I'm doing a massive weed of my library; (hopefully I'll get it down to one room someday) as I go through & actually read what I have or find I don't really appreciate an author anymore. Of course there are books out there that I need to pick up, same with my cds & of course my dvd collection. What really gets me is hearing when a dvd title goes out of print; I know I won't have the time to round up the cash to get it before it's gone forever.
frown.gif
Maybe someday I'll have to do a massive weed of my dvd library, but I don't think so. I guess I collect & then hoard things that I'm not particularly fond of because who knows what my tastes or my childrens or my husbands tasts will be even a few years from now? For example, I picked up 101 Dalmations (animated) not because I particularly care for this movie (the book was massively better IMHO), but becasue this could become my kids favorite movie & will have to watch it 50 times in a day. Things like this are just rationale, I know, but It Could Happan! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks