What's new

"The DVD Channel" -- A Good Idea? (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Heck, there's a Cable TV Channel for just about every other topic imaginable .... why not "The DVD Channel"? Or maybe "The Home Theater Network"?

Would you watch such a network? And do you think such HT programming on the airwaves would serve to educate the masses as to the supreme benefits of Widescreen movies and DVD products? It would sure be ideal for demonstrating
Pan & Scan vs. Widescreen. :)

It'd beat "The Home & Garden Channel" any day of the week.

Has such a specialty Cable TV Channel ever been discussed by any big-wigs who decide such matters?

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking the same thing the other day. Actually, it could be sort of a combination of HT and DVD stuff as well as HGTV b/c they could have shows about remodeling a room into a Home Theater, how to host a home theater party etc. While the station soon to be called Spike TV claims it is the first network for men (I thought that’s what ESPN was) the first network for ME would be a station that has DVD coverage, HT coverage, audiophile type stuff and throw in programming about perfomance automobiles and maybe even some European models (instead of the silicon wonders on Spike).

Hmmmm, I like this. When do we go on the air??

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
When do we go on the air??
Tell ya what, Wade .... I'll buy the TV camera, if you can provide the licensing, TV studio, hosts, DVDs (for promos/giveaways), assorted TVs for demonstation purposes (WS and 4x3s), sound systems etc., and about...say...half-a-dozen or so beautiful Vanna White-type girls for doing the obligatory "Carol Merrill/Let's Make A Deal" sweeping-hands introductions of the various products/devices we'll be showing the viewing public.

Should only cost a few hundred thousand or so...give or take. :) :D :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
We already have it.

It's called "Turner Classic Movies." :D

Really... if you have TCM and a DVD player, you have one of the best movie experiences you can have in your own home. Of course, without having your own 35mm and/or 16mm projection setups. :D

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
Um, my financial advisor is checking into this. It doesn't sound good though. I hear the clinking of coins representing my life's savings.

If I provide the girls though, I'm standing firm that they be European model types as opposed to Vanna White types. Maybe after midnight we could run the "Adult home theater show."

Uh oh, now my financial advisor sounds very negative. In fact, she is running at me with a large blunt object. Alas.....

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick, I love, TCM but they don't demo/review gear.

And they don't have European models!

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I think a more practical idea would be an HT-specific show on a channel like TechTV.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hey, can Gord & I play, too? Gord can do the "TV on DVD" segment, and I'll provide - what else? - The Weekly Roundup! :laugh:

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Maybe a more general Audio/Visual Channel might do the trick. This would open the "filler" time to computer graphics, sound encoding, etc.

I've got the marketing end taken care of-- we can get Dish Network to launch the channel in HD, charge $100/yr, require new hardware to receive it, then endlessly repeat "The Leopard Print Son" segment of our banner HT Interiors show.

:)

Best regards,
~~Nathan

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
If this takes off, I want to do a "retro" show focusing on dead/obsolete formats like CED, Cartrivision and Sanyo V-Cord! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks