What's new

The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) available for preorder on Amazon (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The DVD set must be presented in filmed order, because the blu-ray is in broadcast order and some of the shows I've already seen from the DVD set.
The blu-ray is a nice set. All I need to do is return the Banes and Noble set when it shows up, and save $21.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill /t/324205/the-dick-van-dyke-show-the-complete-series-blu-ray-available-for-preorder-on-amazon#post_4007376
The DVD set must be presented in filmed order, because the blu-ray is in broadcast order and some of the shows I've already seen from the DVD set.
The blu-ray is a nice set. All I need to do is return the Banes and Noble set when it shows up, and save $21.

Both sets are in filmed order. There's a little note at the bottom of each of the inside blu-ray covers. The one exception is on disc 3 of Season 5, where do they do have episode 157 last, as it was meant to be the final episode, even though it was the second to last to be filmed.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Currently about $120 at Costco after instant off. Complete Twilight Zone also in blu same price. Many instant offs currently at Costco.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Garysb /t/324205/the-dick-van-dyke-show-the-complete-series-blu-ray-available-for-preorder-on-amazon#post_4012013
Currently about $120 at Costco after instant off. Complete Twilight Zone also in blu same price. Many instant offs currently at Costco.
Thanks!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Jeff-Wooten said:
Well unfortunately $$$-wise, I preordered this set back when it was announced thinking there would be some kind of good price drop, which never happened. But since I ended up spending $300 on this set, I guess I really couldn't be happier with the end-result. On my 50-inch DLP, the transfers look absolutely stunning. I've only watched a few of the episodes so far, but I can't imagine a B&W series looking any better than this (although I'd love to see The Andy Griffith Show try, but at a cheaper price). I hope you won't be disappointed. I know I'm not.
The Andy Griffith show is available on Netflix streaming in HD. Not blu-ray, I know, but it looks very good.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Having gone through the show recently, it still holds up; it's great!

I'd rank the seasons with 2 being the best, followed by 3, then 4, 5 and 1.

Season 5 had a lot of recycled plots.

Season 1 the show didn't seem very special or hip. Other than one or two episodes, it felt like typical 1950s fare, nothing really distinguishing it. They were really lucky to get a second season!

It's great watching that second season though and seeing the show coming into its own, finding its unique voice.

Also interesting, the show really was a domestic comedy. Other than a handful episodes, it never really gave an inside view of television or even of being a writer. All that took back seat to the husband-wife dynamic. Mary Tyler Moore really stole the show!

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Richard Gallagher said:
An Amazon third-party seller is selling the Dick Van Dyke Blu-ray set (brand-new) for $104 including shipping.
And now another third-party is selling it today @ $62.99 for those still on the fence. Fantastic price. Picked one up and looking forward to revisiting this classic.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David Deeb said:
And now another third-party is selling it today @ $62.99 for those still on the fence. Fantastic price. Picked one up and looking forward to revisiting this classic.
After getting 3 seasons of Doctor Who cheaply from third party sellers only to figure out they were bootlegs, I've been wary of sellers offering prices that seem to be too good to be true.

But if it turns out to be legit, yeah, you got a great deal, and the series looks beautiful on blu. In fact, sometimes it's too clear. Take the pilot, for example, where you can see the excessive amount of make-up used on Dick Van Dyke to cover a cold sore he got just before filming.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
The Obsolete Man said:
... the series looks beautiful on blu. In fact, sometimes it's too clear. Take the pilot, for example, where you can see the excessive amount of make-up used on Dick Van Dyke to cover a cold sore he got just before filming.
LOL. So true. Dick did his own makeup and it took him a bit to also tone down the "Broadway" level of makeup he was used to with Bye Bye Birdie. Man is it thick in the pilot.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
The Obsolete Man said:
After getting 3 seasons of Doctor Who cheaply from third party sellers only to figure out they were bootlegs, I've been wary of sellers offering prices that seem to be too good to be true.

But if it turns out to be legit, yeah, you got a great deal, and the series looks beautiful on blu. In fact, sometimes it's too clear. Take the pilot, for example, where you can see the excessive amount of make-up used on Dick Van Dyke to cover a cold sore he got just before filming.
These are legit. They are being sold by a third party seller, but fulfilled by Amazon. The shrink wrap has the Image sticker which says "All 158 Episodes in High-Definition for the First Time Ever!" and "Loaded with Exclusive Bonus Features!" And the box has the correct UPC.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Thanks for the heads up. $62.99 was too good of a deal to pass up despite being very pleased with the DVD's.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Today the complete Dick Van Dyke set on blu-ray is on sale at amazon for $54. At that price, I couldn't resist. My wife will be annoyed....

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Amazon seller Clover Media (95% positive rating) also has this set for $49.99 + $3.99 shipping. Amazing deal, and I blind bought a copy for that price.

There are also eBay listings with prices under $60 for new sets.

Unfortunately, the elephant in the room is that Image must be liquidating stock that otherwise wouldn't sell.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I just got this set from a Marketplace seller thru Amazon(being international made the delivery costs high and out Amazon's usual range). The sealed box had the Region-Free ABC logo but in fact i is Region A locked as my screen promptly told me so I changed machines to my Region-Free one. No problems.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
moviepas said:
I just got this set from a Marketplace seller thru Amazon(being international made the delivery costs high and out Amazon's usual range). The sealed box had the Region-Free ABC logo but in fact i is Region A locked as my screen promptly told me so I changed machines to my Region-Free one. No problems.
Wow. That's an unfortunate blunder on the labeling. It's one thing to label a product as a single region when in fact it is open region, but quite another to label it as all-region and have that be blatantly false!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
My set hasn't arrived yet but I was curious as I looked through the new extras. Are the bonuses from tv episodes of the time the complete episode like the old extras were, or just segments?

In particular, the Make Room for Daddy extra with Mary Tyler Moore? It won't be nearly as nice of an addition if it's only a short segment.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - Complete Collection (20 disc set) [DVD] Not Dick Van Dyke but due for release in UK on Sept 1 2014 for UK90.00 including VAT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks