What's new

"The Dick Van Dyke Show Season 3" -- A Personal Review (1 Viewer)

BrianP

Supporting Actor
David VP,

It does appear Amazon is honoring the $19.99 price. I placed an order with expectations of having it cancelled, but received a shipping confirmation Sunday instead. As of today the price is still available, so anyone wanting it better order before they raise the price.

Also Columbia House currently has a deal that could get you both season 1 and 2 of the Dick Van Dyke Show for only $9.95 shipped. Only catch is that you are required to buy 2 additional DVDs (starting as low as $19.95) within a year to fulfill the account. Here is the link discussing the deal at DVDTalk. It does appear valid since I signed up for an account and received an approval email today. They also offer other televsion series as enrollment options.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Yep. It looks like they are.
Great deal indeed for those who (somehow) managed to hold off buying S.1 in October '03. :)

It's been that crazy-low price for about 3 or 4 days now. You'd think if it were a "mis-priced" item, they surely would have fixed it by now.

It's kind of odd, too, because I know that this S.1 set was on back-order at DeepDiscount for quite a while; they had none in stock.

Maybe Amazon bought 'em all out from under DDD (he-he) ... and now has a boat-load of them to get rid of (hence the amazing price tag). :)

Still cannot believe that at that $19.99 price they can turn a nickel of profit on them.

But, profit or no, they're selling a bunch it appears....it's now the #4 Best-Seller (to date) on Amazon's site, right underneath Star Wars-Widescreen.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Star Wars and Dick Van Dyke Show, didn't expect those 2 things to be ranked right next to each other on anyones best selling list.

Its times like this I wish I hadn't gone out and bought season 1 on release date...and yet that would've caused me not to have the DVD goodness on the first day so perhaps that alone makes it worth the 40 bucks I spent that I wouldn't have had to spend had I bought it in the past few days.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I wonder if later on Amazon will mark down the other sets...I'm so glad I waited to buy it now! I can't wait until I open my mailbox to find a nice package from Amazon.....

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
More info on some Season 4 bonus features .......

Some items on the box are not listed in Image's "official" info, just like with the other season sets.

For the life of me I can't figure out why they wouldn't want to reveal all the special features that are going to be included in a particular boxed set -- seems like they'd sell even better if ALL this good stuff were revealed before release date. But, they must have their reasons.

Not previously mentioned by Image ---

>> DVD Exclusive Awards Telecast Clip.

>> Full-Length TDVDS 1995 CBS-TV Special.

>> Dr. Mark Sloan Meets Rob Petrie In An Episode Of Dignosis Murder.

>> Garry Marshall included in one or more audio commentaries.

To pilfer a phrase from one of my
best friends, C. Monty Burns ......
"Ex-cellent!" :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Some more info on that "Diagnosis Murder" extra .....

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...87/epid-15898/

During a visit to a radio station, Dr. Mark Sloan peeks into a room and sees Rob Petrie, the character Dick Van Dyke played on his 1960's sitcom The Dick Van Dyke Show. This was part of a sweeps month stunt used by CBS. They integrated footage of past television programs into current ones. For instance, an episode of Early Edition was introduced by Rod Serling, and Walker, Texas Ranger included a dream cameo by Steve McQueen.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Season 4 was released today (April 27th).
Mine's in the mail still. :frowning:

But .... I have more info regarding the Season Five release in June.

From what I can piece together (via the Image site and a blow-up of the packaging thanks to the "Walnut Times" site), here are all the Special Features we'll see in the S.5 set .........

> Audio Commentaries Featuring Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke for Selected Episodes;
> Audio Commentaries Featuring Rose, Ann, & Larry for Selected Episodes;
> Audio Commentary Featuring Don Rickles (Remembering his "2-Parter");
> Interviews With Cast and Producers;
> The Cast Remembers "Coast-to-Coast Big Mouth";
> Remembering Richard Deacon;
> Cast Memories of the Last Show;
> Cast on the TV Land Awards;
> Emmy Award Telecast Clips Featuring the Cast;
> Clip from Dick Van Dyke and the Other Woman, a 1969 special with Dick and Mary;
> Cast Reunion on 'Comic Relief';
> Sketch From "The Cass Elliott Special", Featuring Dick & Cass;
> Original Commercials Featuring the Cast (??? Not sure about this inclusion ???);
> Trailer for "The Art Of Love" (1965 film Starring Dick);
> Network Promotional Spots;
> Promo Spot for "The New Dick Van Dyke Show";
> Photo Galleries for Selected Episodes;
> Collectible Booklet.

Nice batch once again.
But -- The Don Rickles commentary makes NO sense at all here...because his 2-parter was in Season FOUR, not five. Can't figure that one out. He's surely not on a commentary for a S.5 ep., and talking about episodes that have nothing to do with the ep. we're seeing. Maybe a typo. We'll see.

Also -- Unfortunately (based on these specs) it appears we won't be seeing the full-length 2000 TV-Land Dick Van Dyke Show Special. But -- you never know.

CLICK HERE to see more of the S.5 packaging. Then point your mouse over the lower-right portion of that picture, wait for the "Increase Size" icon to appear, then click once...this will super-size the pic.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Guess what? Amazon honored their price of $19.95 on the s.1 set!!! Woo-hoo!!! It just shipped today!

I guess my dammit from the other day was a bit hasty...I can't wait to get it!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
David VP, thanks for the info on season 5 extras. A bit disappointed that the TV Land special isn't included but other than that, and the kitchen sink from Rob and Laura's kitchen this series has given us every extra you could want.

Since I saw your post here, I'm going to start the countdown until it appears on TVShowsOnDVD.com

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Everybody who's got Season 3 .... Check out the first picture in the "Photo Gallery" for the episode "Too Many Stars". A vivid color photo. Nice. (The 2nd full-color pic I've encountered in these DVD-on-DVD boxed sets.)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
David,

Thanks for the fantastic review!

I received my Season 4 this past Tuesday, and just like the first 3, I'm not disappointed! I won't rehash your excellent review, so that's enough of that.

HOWEVER, I must add that Image has done an absolutely wonderful job on each of these sets (and Season 5 will undoubtedly be the same). If ever a studio were looking for the perfect DVD Boxed Sets to model their products after, they need look no further than these Image sets. They are easily the best DVD boxed sets on the market. And I don't think anyone can dispute that.

Gary "if you don't own one or more of these sets, you owe it to yourself to see what real deluxe tv on dvd treatment is like" O.

Jay*W

Second Unit

Perhaps they're saving it for the DVD release of THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW REVISITED? They would seem to complement each other nicely.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Could be.
I'll take it anyway I can get it.

Interestingly (or not), the dvd-on-dvd website is still claiming that the 3 Van Dyke "Specials" will each be available on its own separate disc. Including that TV-Land Special, and "The Other Woman" special, and "Dick Van Dyke Show Remembered" (which is now available as an extra on the Season 4 set).

However, it's fairly obvious that that website is rarely updated. So, I wouldn't count on that data be correct. Especially considering that we've already been informed that the "Other Woman" 1969 Special hit a snag as far as putting the whole thing out on DVD (due to the dang music rights' snafu :frowning:). So there's virtually no way a separate disc of that special is coming anytime soon.

Jay*W

Second Unit

Same here! David! I'm just trying to find a way to keep hope alive. It would pretty disappointing not to be able to obtain it on DVD. However, getting the whole CBS special was an unexpected surprise after seeing all of the excerpted interviews on Seasons 1 through 3, so I haven't given up hope.

Thanks for your wonderful reviews of these incredible DVD sets of the classiest sitcom in television history.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Here's a tidbit of info I was supplied a while back regarding that CBS Special. -- Evidently, many of the short "clips" we see on the various shows are really outtakes from the full CBS special, and thus not included on the 46-minute FULL documentary we see on Season 4.

Now, as for which clips and the length, etc., I have no idea. But I've been told there's "more" of that special spread around the DVD sets than what is seen on the full aired version.

Jay*W

Second Unit

David,

I definitely believe that to be true. After having watched the CBS Special on Season 4, it was pretty clear to me that there were numerous interview clips of the same vintage included on the DVDs that I didn't see in the Special. Quite a treat!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks