What's new

The Devils (1 Viewer)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Ken Russell appeared at a screening of "Tommy" last month at the Motion Picture Academy. Not sure if Ken is all there anymore - the audience was stunned that he failed to answer one question and gave the moderator a hard time. At first we thought - This IS Ken Russell, but after 20 minutes it was insulting to the audience and the Academy. Russell has had a few strokes and is well up there in age. But his answers were of the "yes" "no" "Who is Ann-Margret" "Who is Pete Townsend" variety

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I just want to say that if this ends up as a Warner Archives release, I'll be devastated since I believe they still have limited availability in Canada and it will effect future purchases of Warner's products.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Talk about "You snooze, you lose." I went looking for it yesterday and came up with nothin'. Glad I checked this board and found out that it had been pulled-- I thought I was losing my marbles for a second.

I couldn't find "The Devils" on iTunes. I searched under the title and also under Vanessa Redgrave. Did Warners pull it from circulation yet again? Has any other movie as good as this been treated with such contempt by its own studio?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
See above. It was up on iTunes for about three weeks until someone noticed, then taken down once news of its release hit the web.

Thanks, Bob. I didn't read any of the latest posts as soon as I saw Chuck Pennington's screenshots - I just headed over to iTunes.

The iTunes store is filled with movies featuring people getting slashed, dismembered, skinned alive, etc. Those are allowed. How ironic that one of the most powerful indictments of hypocrisy ever filmed becomes a victim of it over and over again.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I don't really get the whole "conspiracy" angle. WB did put it on VHS back in the 90s, and clearly they put some effort into cleaning it up (and reconstituting it to 108 minutes) for a release...sometime. (A 40th anniversary edition perhaps?) Why go to that trouble?
Based on other comments I'd say it's entirely likely, or at least plausible, that someone in WB's digital distribution department jumped the gun and iTunes took it down at their behest. But since I own it now, I don't have to worry about it /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif...though I would gladly buy a DVD, particularly one with the Russell commentary that he says he recorded and other supplements.

Bob Cashill said:

Based on other comments I'd say it's entirely likely, or at least plausible, that someone in WB's digital distribution department jumped the gun and iTunes took it down at their behest.

I think we all hope he's right about that. It gives me something to hope for. But those screenshots sure looked beautiful, especially compared to my bootleg. It does include the Rape of Christ, and it sounds great, but it looks awful.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The screens shots look okay, they could look much better. While I have a copy of the film, I would love to see the uncut version with supplements and the commentary by Russell (Maybe Vanessa Redgrave could record something) and on Blu-ray (no need to release it on DVD at this point.

It seems to me that some people at WB are purposely holding this film from release for their own reasons. It also seems that not everyone at WB is in agreement that the film should be withheld (Otherwise they would not have released art work for the DVD a few years ago or the film appeared on I-tunes)

It is possible the conflict is between a few employees at WB and no one else. Maybe they are personal conflicts or just conflicts between departments. Not every department seems to be in agreement or the film would not be leaked out the way as it has. Only a few suspects know what the real reason is (and they are not talking)

Meanwhile some WB films are available for viewing on You-tube, but whenever the "Devils" appears it is quickly taken down once WB finds out. The film was released on VHS (I have a copy) and "The Exorcist" is deemed appropriate for multiple releases so the content probably has nothing to do with it.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
I wish there were some Directors and critics to put the pressure on Warners about their censorship that is apparently taking place with this film. The more public this becomes...WB will have to respond!!!

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
I wish there were some Directors and critics to put the pressure on Warners about their censorship that is apparently taking place with this film. The more public this becomes...WB will have to respond!!!

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
With all due respect, I think the public that cares about this doesn't extend too far beyond online film buff forums. Not that I wouldn't mind an explanation, or a proper DVD. But, you know, if it gels into a furor, get Disney to release SONG OF THE SOUTH, and throw in my Warner-controlled fave DARK OF THE SUN, too.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I do not believe the censorship issue has anything to do with this film.
Warner Bros. has already released the film on VHS! (remember the controversy
when the VHS was released? I didn't think so - there was none)
A DVD was announced at one point
Art work was prepared
The film was available on ITunes
WB has already released many controversial films and the "Devils" carries an R rating in
it's cut form.
The issue may have to do with "which" cut to release, thought most people wouldn't know the difference.
There is probably an internal fight going on at WB and seems more and more like an issue within the studio. Someone probably is fighting to release the un-cut version while others say no "the cut version or nothing". So until they can kiss and make up the consumer will have to wait. We may have to wait until one of them leaves or there is a major change in the company.
Ken Russell seems to be out if it and after his latest display at the Motion Picture Academy, I doubt he would be involved in any business matter what so ever.
If and when the film is released on DVD/Blu-ray a word of advice: [COLOR= #f00]Buy it immediately [/COLOR]before someone at WB finds out they released the un-censored version and a recall is put into effect (as with Little Shop of Horrors) /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Interesting piece on all this:

http://projectorhasbeendrinking.blogspot.com/2010/06/satans-boy-i-could-never-be-i-havent.html?zx=a91a7387726b45c1

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
The Devils is coming out in Spain on the 27th of July from Warner/Impulso: http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=27096

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks