What's new

The Devils (2 Viewers)

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
It has DRM and you cannot just take that file and burn it to a DVD. You have to know how to get around the DRM. :)

Maybe it will be a Warner Archive release at some point.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Chuck Pennington
It says it is Rated R at iTunes, but from what I've read online "The Rape of Christ" sequence was never in ANY version of the movie. There was a 108-109 min X rated US cut, and then an 111 min UK X cut, and then a 103 min R-rated US version.
What I'd like to know is what is different between the US and UK X versions. I have the bootleg DVD from the UK broadcast and viewed it once, and now I've seen the full 2.35:1 version from iTunes. Nothing stuck out as different to me.
There had been talk that the footage had been restored to the film in this thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/282871/any-word-on-ken-russell-s-the-devils
Unless I hear otherwise, it sounds like this is the same version that has circulated in America since the mid-80's, which is the previous U.S. X-rated cut. (the film was cut for an R to 103 minutes, but the previous 108 was resubmitted and given an R 'round 1981) If you look carefully at the closing credits on this version, while the majority of the text has the film visible behind it, the MPAA card has an opaque black backing - the new rating copyright was superimposed in the lab over the old one.
Tim Lucas at Video Watchdog once had a great breakdown of all the cuts in a back issue. I don't have it handy, but I think what went down was that the film was first submitted to the BBFC at 111 minutes, and rejected for further cutting. I suspect that this version did have the "Rape of Christ" sequence in it, since it runs about 3-4 minutes. This would mean that yes, it was never in any publicly seen edition of the film, but that it did figure into a planned final edit. So then we have the 108 minute version that, as you point out, is essentially the same in both the U.K. and the U.S. Then WB pulls the X-rated cut out of circulation, recuts it to an R at 103 minutes, and reissues it in a double feature with THE EXORCIST. Then finally, there is the partial restoration mentioned above.
(FWIW, in doing a search under "Ken Russell The Devils Restoration", I found nine different threads, some albeit in the "Archived Threads 2001-2004" section. It would be marvelous if they could be merged into one simple thread)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Agree. I sure wouldn't mind reading through those threads...especially if it could be made less cumbersome. Second the motion.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Warner Archive would be a great way to pick it up. I'd pay the $20 for that.
Now, if they would lower the price on some less epic titles I want (Under the Rainbow, Outlaw Blues, Carny, etc) I'd actually buy a title from that library. /img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I've been following the Warner Archive thread all along, with the hope that I'd eventually see the words "The Devils" in someone's post -- and hopefully NOT a bad news post. Now you gotta wonder if it's about to appear in the lineup...or maybe not, and this is their solution to satisfying the demand while not making a big thing out of it. (What do I know -- I'm just rambling.)

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Edward Heuck
Unless I hear otherwise, it sounds like this is the same version that has circulated in America since the mid-80's, which is the previous U.S. X-rated cut. (the film was cut for an R to 103 minutes, but the previous 108 was resubmitted and given an R 'round 1981) If you look carefully at the closing credits on this version, while the majority of the text has the film visible behind it, the MPAA card has an opaque black backing - the new rating copyright was superimposed in the lab over the old one.
Tim Lucas at Video Watchdog once had a great breakdown of all the cuts in a back issue. I don't have it handy, but I think what went down was that the film was first submitted to the BBFC at 111 minutes, and rejected for further cutting. I suspect that this version did have the "Rape of Christ" sequence in it, since it runs about 3-4 minutes. This would mean that yes, it was never in any publicly seen edition of the film, but that it did figure into a planned final edit. So then we have the 108 minute version that, as you point out, is essentially the same in both the U.K. and the U.S.

In the documentary that aired in the UK, it is stated by several people that the "Rape of Christ" sequence was removed from the film by Warner before it was submitted to either the ratings board in the US or the BBFC in the UK. There are bits of other footage in the documentary that was recently found (Vanessa and the charred bone, and the rather graphic pantomime that was to be included during Oliver Reed's execution), but it isn't clear if this material was cut before or after being submitted to some board. What's odd is the "Rape of Christ" footage is all 2.35:1, but everything else is cropped down to 1.78:1 and has narration or credits over it, preventing anyone from trying to make their own hybrid with ALL of that recently found footage.
Call my crazy, but I don't think there is anything all that shocking in the movie. It is shot in such a way that one still needs to read into what exactly is happening. I didn't quite get the whole enema scene thing until I read some more about the movie online. With the whole "Rape of Christ" sequence and the other footage restored, I don't see this getting an "R" even today, but I don't see there being a big outcry over it either. Even without the graphic bits, the theme of the film is the same, and isn't that the main thing that might offend the religious?

/img/vbsmilies/htf/alien.gif Thanks for the heads up, guys! This is pretty incredible news. I never even bothered checking iTunes for this. I've been waiting for a widescreen version of this since...umm...1996! Wow, time flies.

JackKay

Second Unit
Well, I've been keeping my eye out for this one for sometime. If it's out on iTunes at least there is hope. I understand Ken Russel made a comentary for it, I hope it is included.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
A restored complete set of Ken Russell, including The Devils, would be something I would buy. My prefered for a limited collection would be The Devils/Gothic/Lair of the White Worm. I really thought after the death of Richardson we'd get Gothic fully restored. Not sure why that didn't happen.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The rape of Christ scene wasn't so shocking (esp by 2009 standards) Other films are more graphic today. It's the religious theme of raping Christ that causes the problem (as with "The Last Temptation of Christ" and Christ's sex life) Mel Gibson's "Passion" was way more graphic.

Showing nuns lying over Christ on a fallen cross is what the uproar is all about. Not so much the theme of the film (which of course the government/church doesn't like) But what LInda Blair did with the cross in "the Exorcist" was way more worse than anything in "The Devils" and yet that film gets many releases in new and expanded editions.

Having met Ken Russell, I would believe it's not the films but the relationship with the director and the studio that is holding up the release of many of his films

to_the_9

Auditioning
Real Name
Eliot
I can't believe this has been released! (on iTunes?!?!) Of course, it's too bad all the found footage hasn't yet been integrated into the film, but if it's now available via online resources, one would assume a DVD isn't too far on the horizon? This is just so weird!

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
According to a Robert Cashill at the Hollywood-Elsewhere blog, iTunes has now pulled THE DEVILS from the site. /img/vbsmilies/htf/angry.gif
A friend of a friend of a friend told me that on some occasions, the digital distribution department at WB takes a master and releases it to iTunes without informing any other studio departments. Betcha this is what happened and the high brass saw all the press and demanded it removed. WB really has a hate-on for this movie.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I was tipped off by a Facebook posting. Regrettable news but alas true.

neeb

Grip
Real Name
Gabriel
Originally Posted by Mark Edward Heuck
According to a Robert Cashill at the Hollywood-Elsewhere blog, iTunes has now pulled THE DEVILS from the site. /img/vbsmilies/htf/angry.gif
A friend of a friend of a friend told me that on some occasions, the digital distribution department at WB takes a master and releases it to iTunes without informing any other studio departments. Betcha this is what happened and the high brass saw all the press and demanded it removed. WB really has a hate-on for this movie.
Any one know how it was selling before it got pulled?

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Whoa! I am SO glad to have gotten it in that short window of opportunity. And in such beautiful condition! I may have been wrong thinking this, but I'd been under the impression that the materials were feared to be in such poor condition that the likelihood of a good release was even further reduced.

"WB really has a hate-on for this movie." No sh&*@t, man. It's like Disney and SONG OF THE SOUTH. Really incredible, how these companies seem to lack all ability to deal with these films.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Some good news if you're in NY, or can be: Film Society of Lincoln Center says it's screening the 111m. THE DEVILS 7/30-8/1, plus eight other Russells. And he'll be at all evening screenings...can't find a link but tix go on sale this Thu.

As for censorship, well, the 103m DEVILS was on VHS via Warner. Why that was, and why no other version has resurfaced on DVD, I can't say, but it does have some limited history with it on home video.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I was able to rent this on Sunday and watched the movie for the first time. It's a great film, if not absolutely crazy. I'm glad I saw it before it got pulled. Maybe I should have bought it instead of renting. Either way, it was my first time downloading a movie and well worth it.

Quality wise, it looked decent. It resembled those early Warner DVD taken from old LD masters, but certainly better than those clips on youtube from bootlegs.

But if Warners doesn't want to release it, why not let someone else? It's ridiculous. It almost feels like fans of the film have a friend there, leaking that DVD art a while back, and then putting this on itunes, with the same artwork no less. Guy's probably locked in a dungeon right now. Hopefully, the itunes release was just a test and Warners is planning a proper home video release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks