What's new

The Devil's Advocate Unrated Director's Cut coming on September 18th on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
does anyone have some information what warner bros means with "unrated director's cut"? could it be the original untouched theatrical version or did mr. hackford get a chance to revisit the movie?
:confused:

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
EnricoE said:
does anyone have some information what warner bros means with "unrated director's cut"? could it be the original untouched theatrical version or did mr. hackford get a chance to revisit the movie?
:confused:
With the unblurred painting?

http://www.amazon.com/Devils-Advocate-Blu-ray-Keanu-Reeves/dp/B00860YHRS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345299051&sr=8-1&keywords=devils+advocate+blu+ray
Click the image and read the back of the Blu Ray

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
david steigman said:
http://www.amazon.com/Devils-Advocate-Blu-ray-Keanu-Reeves/dp/B00860YHRS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345299051&sr=8-1&keywords=devils+advocate+blu+ray
Click the image and read the back of the Blu Ray
doesn't give much information. it also doesn't clearly say if this is the original theatrical version or the changed one. though, the words "unrated director's cut" gives me a tiny bit of hope we'll get the original theatrical version.

It has a caption about the white sculpture under the part that you read...it is the unrated cut however

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by david steigman /t/322971/the-devils-advocate-unrated-directors-cut-coming-on-september-18th-on-blu-ray#post_3963865
It has a caption about the white sculpture under the part that you read...it is the unrated cut however
Same caption was on the DVD, word for word. Not sure if that means anything.

valmont74

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
Yes, it seems the Blu-ray has the same length as the previous DVD and as far as I can recall there was no big fuss with the MPAA at the initial theatrical release either.
If you look down the left corner on the back cover at Blu-ray.com http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Devils-Advocate-Blu-ray/43491/ you can see this text "Not rated. This unrated version contains material different from the original R-rated version"
My best guess would have been that the original sculpture is intact as it was in the theatrical version. However, that was in the original R-rated version we saw in the cinema and this version obviously has something else in it that wasn't in that version, but at the same running time.
Perhaps a few reinserted frames of gore has been put back at
the point where Charlize Theron's character slits her throat with a piece of glass in the church
if that scene was trimmed by the MPAA.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
i just received word that the blu-ray looks identical to the home-video-version. the running time is exactly the same. what ever they changed, it must have been very very subtle, if at all.
i stick with my original "theatrical version" dvd :P

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
a little update on what is changed on the blu-ray vs the dvd
the movie is basically the same. the only major difference is the sculpture which has been retouched once again. in a 10 second shot around 47min48sec the camera movement has now been replaced with down -> up move. nothing special really.
overall the blu-ray looks and sound pretty good but it's not the original theatrical version which leaves a nasty aftertaste. the word director's cut feels like a bad joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks