What's new

Directors The DEVELOPMENT HELL TOURNAMENT (The Greatest Films that were never made) (1 Viewer)

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
The Blind Man
Napoleon - Has the book with the entire screenplay been released yet?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
All 4 sound pretty interesting actually.

The Blind Man

Napoleon

Although it's a comedy, Kiss Me, Stupid pretty much nails the Dean Martin story, or at least the character :).

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Jim, you found 48 other projects for the tournament? :eek:

Two questions: wasn't there some kind of recent discovery on the Dali/Disney project? And is Dino officially dead? I was under the impression that Scorsese still wanted to make it.

The Blind Man
Napoleon

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Last I read was Scorsese still wants to make it but only if he can get the entire aforementioned cast intact. You never know, this one might make it to the screen someday. :)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
My votes

While all 4 projects are interesting, The Hitch & Kubrick projects both seem like it could have been some of their best work.

The Blind Man
Napoleon

The Blind Man over Destino 7-0

Napoleon over Dino 5-2

next

(Bracket 3)

A Day at the U.N.
Dir: Billy Wilder
Cast: The Marx Brothers
Source material: Original Screenplay by Billy Wilder & I.A.L. Diamond
Summary: The Marx Brothers invade the U.N.
Other trivia: The death of Chico Marx nixed this project. Was to have been made between The Apartment & One, Two, Three.

vs.

To The White Sea
Dir: Coen Brothers
Cast: Brad Pitt
Summary: Pitt is a bomber pilot during WWII who crash lands in Japan or the Aleutians and doesn't speak the language so he is virtually silent.
Other trivia: They couldn't find anyone to finance it.

-----------------------------------

(Bracket 4)

Pinocchio
Dir: Francis Ford Coppola
Cast:Christopher Walken, Anthony Quinn, Lauren Bacall
Summary: A live action take on the classic tale.
Other trivia: Was though up by Coppola after the death of his son & was developed in the early 90’s. Coppola & Warner Brothers had a nasty court battle over the rights, which Warner retained.

vs.

Roger Rabbit 2: The Toon Platoon
Dir:?
Cast:?
Summary: A prequel set in 1941. Roger & friends join up to fight the stinking Nazi horde. :D
Other trivia: The script is supposed to be better then the original film & it’s unknown why this didn’t get made.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
A Day at the U.N. - Very easy. I've never heard of this, but would have loved it. I would have no interest in the other one whatsoever.

Roger Rabbit 2 - This is also easy, although Pinocchio also sounds intriguing.

johnbr

Stunt Coordinator
David Lean Nostromo Did not get made becase he would not make it in 35mm only 65mm they said no to 65mm so no film.
Cecil B DeMille's When worlds Collide he trid to make a Sci/fi for over 30 years.
Willis O'Brien's War Eagles the ending was going to take 6/month's to make Vikings where to save NewYork from a enemy aeril armada on the War Eagles. :frowning:

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
A Day at the U.N.-probably would have voted for the Coen movie over almost any other movie in the tourney, but Wilder/Marx is way too intriguing a combination!

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
To The White Sea - interesting experiment because the thing that most attracts me to the Coen's is their dialogue writing and comedic timing.

RR 2 - Not very interested in either

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
My votes

A Day at the U.N.
Roger Rabbit The Toon Platoon

A Day at the U.N. over To The White Sea 6-3

Roger Rabbit 2: The Toon Platoon over Pinocchio 5-2

next

(Bracket 5)

Star Trek 6: Starfleet Academy
Dir: ?
Cast: not the original cast
Summary: Prequel featuring a new/younger cast which focuses the early years of Kirk, Spock, McCoy & the gang at the Starfleet Academy.
Other trivia: Was to be made after the turkey - Star Trek V. The original cast members mounted a successful campaign at conventions starting false rumours that the new film would be a spoof ala Police Academy.

vs.

Warhead: James Bond of the Secret Service
Dir:
Cast: Sean Connery (Bond), Orson Welles (Ernst Stavro Blofeld)
Summary: Blofeld & SPECTRE in an all out assault on New York’s financial district. Sean Connery returns to the role he created.
Other trivia: Was developed by Kevin McClory who retained partial rights to the Bond character. This was going to be the start of an alternate Bond franchise apart from the Broccoli/MGM/UA official series. Planned to start filming in 1978 with Sean Connery back as Bond but Broccoli/UA mounted a legal campaign to frighten off the investors. McClory & Connery eventually got to work together on another Bond project in the 1983 remake of Thunderball, Never Say Never Again.

(Bracket 6)

Tora Tora Tora!
Dir: Akira Kurosawa and David Lean
Summary: The troublesome shoot of the film was one of the dark chapters in Akira Kurosawa's career. What was originally proposed to him by Fox, however, was that he would direct the Japanese portion of the film, with Mr. David Lean directing the American sequences.
Other trivia: The current version directed by Richard Fleischer and Kinji Fukasaku, the film now has some good battle sequences, but reveals nothing about Pearl Harbor that we do not know.

vs.

Nostromo
Dir: David Lean
Cast: Alan Rickman, Paul Scofield, Isabella Rossellini
Source material: based on the novel by Joseph Conrad
Summary: The story revolves around a silver mine and it’s effect on the characters.
Other trivia: Lean wanted to film in 70mm and filming was to begin in ‘89/’90. High insurance premiums due to Lean’s poor health stalled the project and Lean died in ’91.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks