What's new

The Descent - good or bad? (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Nice points Ben. Aliens also crossed my mind when I thought about it earlier. I'd bet my savings account that this shouldn't even be mentioned on the same thread as Aliens. Those miracles don't happen everyday. A great director can pull these things off and add just the right elements to not only respect the original but create debates on which is better, the original or the sequel. Evil Dead does that too. Put me down for the original (same with Alien, happen to like the original best) but the sequels are among my fav horrors ever.

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
thoroughly enjoyed watching "The Descent"

I knew nothing about it beforehand, and was pleasantly surprised by the claustrophobia, engaging story and sheer sense of dread / horror

I guess I saw the UK theatrical release, as the ending was *unpleasent* for the surviving character?

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
This one left me cold. If they had omitted the creatures entirely and just had the story focus on claustrophobia, maybe it would've worked. The sequence where a character gets stuck in a tight area is the only truly effective moment in the film.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Yeah, I wouldn't give up the early scenes of those creatures for nothing. Chilling stuff. And the rest of the scenes with them are edge of the seat stuff. That's just for this particular film. Now, without the creatures it would be like when Andy and Helen are stuck in the cave waiting for Deputy Fife to save them!! Right?

Hahaha! Just kidding. There are a few films like this without the creatures that work pretty good.

uote:
Originally Posted by Radioman970

Yeah, I wouldn't give up the early scenes of those creatures for nothing. Chilling stuff. And the rest of the scenes with them are edge of the seat stuff. That's just for this particular film. Now, without the creatures it would be like when Andy and Helen are stuck in the cave waiting for Deputy Fife to save them!! Right? Just kidding. There are a few films like this without the creatures that work pretty good.
SPOILERS!

Thanks for the nice words, Radioman. Methinks you and me are on the same wavelength here too re: previous poster wanting no creatures. Me, I was impressed by the early part of the film, but as soon as I knew there was creatures too, I was so excited. I guess it depends whether you prefer Alien or Touching the Void. Movies of people against the elements can be good;and shocking even, but there's nothing more fun than monsters. Having said that, I was terrified the whole first viewing of those creatures, and I thought they really thrived in the claustrophobic environment, and really enhanced it. I think their design, which i won't say too much more about, really ties in with the environment, so I didn't experience the transition as being as jarring as something like when part two of From Dusk till Dawn kicks in! (Which I now love as well, but in a different way).

I think The Descent will go down as one of the best horrors of all time. I think its top notch. I particularly think its important as it pitches itself above the teen/jock demographic that the Friday the 13th remakes and (much as I love them) Hostel and Cabin Fever sought after. I think Alien is classy in the same way; and its my favourite so far for that reason, as well as the gradual pacing, measured characters etc. I saw it on the big screen when it was rereleased in the 2000s in directors cut form. I love Ridley Scott; the two movies he made after that: Legend and Blade Runner, are also spectaclar. Just saw Legend for the first time, and its really so much better than you'd think beautifully shot. Aliens is said to be one of the better sequels, but its good to hear someone loves the sequels. I rewatched 3 the other day and wasn't as keen on it, but i'll have to check out Aliens again, havent' seen it in years.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
It's very clever. They establish a few stand out characters right away. And even give you a tremendous jolt near the beginning. I think I jumped a foot out of my chair watching it for the first time...watching it in the dark too! That kept me on edge throughout it's running time. Nice little horror movie staple that early scare.

My only knowledge going in was having somebody tell me it's Dog Soldiers in a cave. Haha! I had no idea what the creatures would be like. I think they nailed that aspect. Very creepy. Crazy back story on those as well. But their first appearance is among the best horror moments I've seen. I was squirming in my seat. Really, I was wishing I was in a crowded theater instead of at home alone.

Alien vs Touching the Void. That's exactly what that argument is. You could throw in Alive! as well. *cleans between teeth with toothpick*

Originally Posted by Justin_S ">[/url]

This one left me cold. If they had omitted the creatures entirely and just had the story focus on claustrophobia, maybe it would've worked. The sequence where a character gets stuck in a tight area is the only truly effective moment in the film.[/QUOTE]You don't know what your talking about. Get a clue.

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by [b]Mikel_Cooperman[/b] [url=/forum/thread/248281/the-descent-good-or-bad#post_3604778]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks