What's new

The deep (1 Viewer)

Harry W

Stunt Coordinator
I just loved THE DEEP when it came out in the late 70's.Got the soundtrck on an album(no cd as of yet that I know of),origial movie poster and vhs tape.Just recently purchased the DVD and was wondering if anyone knows if they will be putting out a version that had the tv extras in it like when it came on NBC in the 80's (I believe).When Treece found Coffin washed up on shore and a few others.Saw it on TBS a while back and they had Jackies ta ta's in her undershirt fuzzed out.Just wondering if anyone knew of anything coming out.Thanks.
------------------
HEW,JR

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
hi
Love the movie too. I have the dvd and noticed for instance that it cuts the very short moment Spoiler:when Shaw hugs/holds Tessier after covering him with his jacket: very powerful moment ( i'm no gay and this was not meant like that all: he felt like a father to him or a brother ).
any more shots of Bisset in the wet t-shirt would be most welcomed!!!!
[Edited last by David-alexander on August 15, 2001 at 10:04 PM]

Dan Huey

Agent
Last time I talked with Columbia exec. Michael Stradford he claimed that the DVD didn't sell as well as they thought. So a special edition would not be forthcoming for awhile. He did however mention that they are trying to come up with the lost footage. Does anyone know if the NBC extended version (53 minutes, I think) is available anywhere? Surely someone must have recorded it back then...

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
Jaqueline Bisset in a wet T-shirt...
yum.gif

..oh, I'm sorry. What was this movie about again? :)

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Last time I talked with Columbia exec. Michael Stradford he claimed that the DVD didn't sell as well as they thought. So a special edition would not be forthcoming for awhile. He did however mention that they are trying to come up with the lost footage. Does anyone know if the NBC extended version (53 minutes, I think) is available anywhere? Surely someone must have recorded it back then...
I would love to ask Mr. Stradford: why then release a pan 'n scan-only version which would appeal to even less people...

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Actually, that should be a perfect example of how you know you shouldn't be in the DVD business.
If you can't make good on a DVD that features Jackie Bisset in a wet t-shirt.
jacqueline_bissett@the_deep.jpg

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
In Final Cut, his book about Heaven's Gate and the near-destruction of United Artists, Steven Bach describes a meeting where then-chairman Andy Albeck and others discussed buying Peter Benchly's third novel, The Beast:
"Andy, this guy's last two books were huge best sellers. The movie of the first one became one of the top-grossing films of all time. The movie of the second one, [The Deep - jd] which was only routine, did forty million dollars..."
"Domestic or worldwide?"
"Domestic, I think."
Albeck shot sharply: "That was because of big boobies in wet T-shirts. Does this book have boobies?"
(c) 1985 Outpost Productions, Inc. - All rights reserved
:)
Joe

Tim RP

Stunt Coordinator
When the Indiana Jones boxset came out a couple of years back Laurent Bouzerau was interviewed by Empire magazine who asked him what other films he would be interested in overseeing special editions of... one of them (in fact it might have been the only one he mentioned) was The Deep - apparently it's one of his favourite films. So you never know.
There's certainly ample material for a special edition. As for deleted scenes there's the known extra footage for the TV version (a prologue with the sinking of the Goliath that includes a role for Peter Benchley, Treece finding Adam Coffin washed up on the shore - both taken from the novel) plus allegedly footage showing 'more' of Jacqueline Bisset that was going to be included on the Pioneer laserdisc release but was vetoed by Ms Bisset herself.
With the sad exception of Robert Shaw and Bob Tessier all the major players in front and behind the camera are available for commentaries and interviews and the film received a wealth of post-Jaws coverage at the time so there are bound to be vintage featurettes in existence (the publicity stills are in to triple figures). Oh and if there's some hesitation about including an isolated score from maestro John Barry let me reassure you: include it :D
Are you listening Columbia? Special edition of The Deep? Where do I preorder?!!

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
Perhaps that new Paul Walker/Jessica Alba vehicle 'Into the Blue' which looks like a direct remake of the Deep will garner some interest. Or not.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Sony would only screw it up. They seem to have NO CLUE whatsoever about DVD and aspect ratio.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
In Final Cut, his book about Heaven's Gate and the near-destruction of United Artists, Steven Bach describes a meeting where then-chairman Andy Albeck and others discussed buying Peter Benchly's third novel, The Beast:

That's a great book ("Final Cut"), although I thought they were referring to The Island. Haven't seen that one in a while!

Scott Ruhl

Agent
I just watched this the other day and had no idea there was so much extra footage. I have the "Widescreen" flipper dvd and while it has a major lack of extras it's one of my favorite discs, tho' I would gladly double-dip for even an extended version sans extras.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i have a LOT of affection for this movie and i would also love to have a spanky new SE.

in fact, this title, even more so than something like Spider-man 2, is what i crave on an HD medium.

but i agree that Sony is no longer a reliable studio for quality product. a good SE would most likely be compromised somewhere down the line.

then we would be left to wonder when the superbit deluxe version would be coming out

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Oops. They probably were. I was relying on my memory for the titles of Benchley's post-Jaws and generally forgetable novels. Bach's quote only refers to "[this writer's] second novel" without naming either the writer or the book. The particulars are clear from the context, but unstated. I thought The Beast was Benchley's second book, but if you say it was The Island, I stand corrected.
Final Cut is a terrific book, and it is surprising how little has changed in the movie biz in the past 20 years. :)
Regards,
Joe

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Oops. They probably were. I was relying on my memory for the titles of Benchley's post-Jaws and generally forgetable novels. Bach's quote only refers to "[this writer's] second novel" without naming either the writer or the book. The particulars are clear from the context, but unstated. I thought The Beast was Benchley's second book, but if you say it was The Island, I stand corrected.
I believe, as you stated, the folks at UA were considering Benchley's third book, which IIRC was The Island, and they were comparing it to his successful 1st and 2nd books - Jaws and The Deep.

Mike Huey

Grip
I read a couple of weeks ago that the extended LD project was cancelled after a lawsuite or threat of one by Bisset because of the extra footage of her. I would die to see an extra 50 minutes or so of this film, as it is one of my favorites. Did anyone see the TV broadcast that contained the footage back in the 80's?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks