What's new

THE DEAD coming November 3rd 2009 from LionsGate (1 Viewer)

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Lionsgate Home Entertainment has announced John Huston's The Dead which stars Anjelica Huston and Donal McCann. The disc will be available to own from the 3rd November, and should retail at around $14.98. The film itself will be presented in widescreen, along with an English 2.0 Dolby Digital track. As far as we know, no extra material will be included

For the cover art which looks nothing like the poster art that was probably created by someone who has never seen the film on photoshop. WOW is this artwork just oddball bad!

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/the-dead.html

I was always hoping Criterion would get their hands on this to release.. which a DVD is long overdue I just wish we could get a BD release, with better cover art.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Are you sure this art isn't for the eagerly awaited direct to DVD holiday special: LET'S SPEND CHRISTMAS WITH ANJELICA HUSTON?

walter o

Supporting Actor
The reviewer mentions a nice uncut master circulating on cable TV, why couldn't Lions gate use that masterinstead of this bizarre edited edition? I was so confident Criterion would be picking this up, simply appaling.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This is unconscionable. They treated a master director's swan song exactly as they treated the TV show "ALF".

I can't think of any acclaimed director's works who have been more mistreated or neglected on DVD.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
That's it! First, Lionsgate gives us the same non anamorphic transfer of BOYS FROM BRAZIL with a new cover, second they give us the same full screen cut version of VOYAGE OF THE DAMNED with a new cover rather than an uncut wide screen version, third they give us a full screen VHS transfer of IRRECONCILABLE DIFFERENCES in 2009 rather than a remastered for DVD wide screen version and now this, perhaps the unkindest cut (pun intended) of all. I hereby nominate Lionsgate as The Most Clueless Home Video Company in existence today!

walter o

Supporting Actor
And lets not forget their wonderful work on the Oscar nominated IRONWEED, and their full frame "from an old analog tape master" DVD of scope films like MARCH OR DIE, RAISE THE TITANIC, LEGEND OF THE LONE RANGER, I really wish they would sublicense these titles to other labels who can do them justice.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Wow, that is beyond appalling. I was sure that was simply a typo in the running time when I saw it on Amazon, however I intentionally did not pre-order it just in case.........and now I am glad I waited. What a great Criterion this would have made.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've just read the DVDTown review which fails to mention the cut at all, I was going to alert them but with a conclusion like this:

...John Huston has made great American classics that are still loved by movie critics. He started with a bang, but unfortunately his last effort was mediocre at best. The disjointed narrative and average acting fail to create any impression on the viewer.

...they can go whistle. It's a masterpiece. Pure and simple. I can't imagine what Lionsgate were thinking, vandalising The Dead in this manner; maybe they used a 'cut to fill a timeslot' TV transfer, the fact is that they couldn't be bothered to check. Nothing short of a disgrace.

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
Originally Posted by Lionsgate It has come to our attention that due to a technical malfunction, the initial DVD shipment of John Huston's THE DEAD contained an incomplete version of the film. We deeply apologize to all our consumers for this unfortunate error and want to offer them an opportunity to replace their current copies with the complete version as soon as it is available to ship the week of November 23rd. We regret this inconvenience, as Lionsgate is committed to providing our consumers the highest quality home entertainment experience. All consumers who purchased a copy and wish to receive the new complete version should do one of the following: • Email [email protected] with mailing address and a scan/attachment of the purchase receipt • Fax (310) 222-5562 with mailing address and copy of purchase receipt • Snail Mail purchase receipt along with mailing address to: Lionsgate "The Dead" Recall, 20102 S Vermont Ave, Torrance, CA 90502-1361 Please call (800) 650-7099 with any additional questions.
Still a lousy cover, but at least it's the whole movie now.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Great news but ..... did Lionsgate recall all the edited copies of THE DEAD out there? If not, how will we know if we're getting the original edited issue or the new complete THE DEAD?

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
Well, Amazon's got it listed as discontinued (I was going to place my order again). But if you've got one and the running time is less than 80 minutes, you've got a bad one.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Maybe while Lionsgate fixes their editing issues for this release maybe they can use better cover artwork. This is the worst cover art since Seems Like Old Times on DVD (Great Poster, Bad DVD covers)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I received my corrected copy of THE DEAD today. Same lousy cover but all 83 minutes of the film.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Any date for when this will be again available for purchase? I've been watching it on Amazon, where the edited version is now selling for bootleg prices.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I suppose you can contact the number that's been listed:[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]
[/COLOR]Please call (800) 650-7099 with any additional questions.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
The representatives at the 800-number seem to have very little information to disclose about when stores will have the replacement release in stock. The representatives did, however, confirm Lionsgate has begun mailing replacement copies to those consumers who emailed Lionsgate (with a scanned copy of their receipt attached).

So, on Tuesday, I went to a nearby Barnes & Noble and bought the edited release, which they still had on the shelf (much to the disbelief of the Lionsgate representatives, who told me more than once all of the edited releases had been recalled).

I emailed Lionsgate on Tuesday, attaching a scan of my receipt. I received a response yesterday, stating they would be sending my replacement shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks