What's new

The "Dark Star" DVD restoration petition (1 Viewer)

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
The old Image Laserdisc beats the DVD by a mile. So somebody had a decent video master at one point...

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Almost six years later and nothing. Pretty obvious nothing is happening. Title probably didn't sell well enough to warrant anything happening. Also, it was shot in 16mm, as stated above. It's never going to look great, not with all the restoration in the world. It was an extremely low budget film - the blowup didn't look good, and I doubt the original negative is anything to write home about.

So, six years later and this petition is still signable?

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
A new DVD *IS* definitely coming. I wouldn't expect a 5 disc box set but the special features look promising. I wasn't going to mention the details until I got an ok to make them public.

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Michael, I was just reading your site. So what is the story behind O'bannon and Carpenter's relationship?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Edge of my seat with this. God, I hope it's true!

Trailer did look nice. Not perfect, but the color was good.

City of the Dead looks good too. I'll be buying both of these. Any others must haves?

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I know for a fact that on their disc of CITY OF THE DEAD, VCI did essentially recreate the trailer, since AFAIK there was never a trailer for the movie under that title. It's actually rather clever how they did it - they just took the audio from the HORROR HOTEL edition of the trailer, digitally edited the cleaner footage together in the same sequence that it appears in the latter trailer, then generated new titles over it, along with a new copyright notice. That way, unlike the old HORROR HOTEL trailer, nobody can hork this newer nicer trailer without revealing where it came from.

I've always thought this was a great idea for the release of movies whose original trailers contain music that needs clearing for DVD - just recreate the trailer with material from the upgraded source, and add new music where necessary. And unlike the old trailer, this is a new copyrighted work that PD labels can't just clone and steal.

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator
While it's a commendable effort, when video generated titles are slapped across it, it's no longer an 'original theatrical trailer'. And thus if included on any home video format, should be labelled as a recreation of the original trailer.

Same applies if music has been altered, stating any alterations will stop a film's advertising history from being rewritten.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks